1910 East Shore Drive, "The Fish House"
|Section 27 - 264.35 acres -
James F. D. Lanier
Section 27 Lot 1 - 49.70A
Section 27 Lot 2 - 34.31A
Sect 27 Lot 3 _.31A
Section 27 Lot 4 - 40A
of Jefferson county, Indiana on 30 June 1837 was issued the
the East half
of Section twenty; Fractional Section of Twenty One; Fractional Section of Twenty
Seven and Fractional section of Twenty eight containing 793 32/100 acres.
1876 - L. T. Van Shoiack [Louden T. Van Shoiak]
1880 - L. T. Van Shoiack [Louden T. Van Shoiak] 105.80
The Van Schoiack Farmhouse is incorporated in the present Miller cottage.
Part of the Van Schoiack farm was subdivided as “Sea Beach Place” around
|On the south wall of the living room, was a pencil drawing
done by Booth Tarkington - "This head was drawn by Booth Tarkington" it
was among other signatures and sketches dated from 1888 to 1912...
1898 - Jamison & Judah
Originally just a small fishing cottage said to have been built in 1881. Its original gable-front form can be discerned, although
additions have been built, the front porch enclosed, siding added, and windows replaced... Tarkington wrote part of his novel.
The Gentleman from Indiana, while staying at a fishing cottage on the East Shore (1910 East Shore Drive...
1900 - Mary Judah
1908 - - Jamison
It is not for sure - but it is thought that this might be the cottage - that this is written of:
Mark A. Roeder wrote in A History of Culver and Lake
Maxinkuckee: "Booth Tarkington wrote at least a part
of The Gentleman from Indiana while staying at a fishing cottage on the East Shore...on one corner of an interior wall is a picture
of a young man carved into the wall and some written verse. It is signed, "Booth Tarkington." The author had a connection to
Lake Maxinkuckee going back to at least 1890, when he was twenty-one. He visited here in August of that year. During his time
here, he met Geneve Reynolds. They played tennis and argued about Elizabeth Browning and George Merideth. Tarkington grew
rather attached to the young lady."
1911 - Sep 7 - The Van Schoiack farm of 207 acres is to be sold on Sept. 16
in whole or in parcels. The property includes 24 lake fronts lots.
1919 - 400 East Shore Road - 1919 numbering system
1922 - - Mary S. Judah
1930 - - Judah, Mary S. (d. 1930)
1934 saw a tragic accident
at the Judah cruve as it was
nicknamed - the accident occoured on Mondat 16 July 1934
A. B. CROMLEY, fire chief in the town of Culver , was almost instantly killed and former
Fire Chief, Arthur FISHBURN was critically,
if not fatally injured, when the truck, which Cromley was driving, skidded and overturned on a freshly oiled "S" curve known as the
Judah curve about 1:15 Monday afternoon.
Judah's Curve today - view north to south -
The cottage on the curve at the north end is first what today is the Edward and Susannah urtis cottage
1880 East Shore
, the next being what was formerly
the Judah cottage - hence the name "Judah's cruve"
1930-195_ - - John M. Judah (d. 1936)
1952-8 - - Mrs. John J. Brandon
1960 - - George V. Dickinson
|1961 - - Frank V. Osborn
Orthopedic Suregon of Indianapolis
1979-82 - Dr. Frank W. Teague
1985-93 - Dr. Frank W. Teague (d. 1993) /Joseph C. &
Katherine "Kitty" (Teague) Schaub
Apr. 1998 - Frank W. & Nell R. Teague
1993- Jan 2008 - Kathyrn T. (Kitty) Schaub
It is here that an interior wall which has been left unfinished for over 100 years, that has the names of visitors scrawled on it and
Thanks go to Roscoe B. Stevens
for leaving it exposed
It is said when the Schaub's sold the property that the historical stuff on the walls of the "fishing cabin" portion was protected
by a clause in the sale contract that if the new owners remodeled or demo [demolished] the house that the historical scrrawling
would be preserved in a museum or given back to the Schaub's. The names were scrawled by the people themselves. IE - Booth
Tarkington actually wrote on the wall and I cannot remember who else.. Some of the writings are from 1887-1889...
Jan. 2008 - 2016- David D & Virginia L Gibson
He had an interst in the Gibson Ins. Group Agency of Plymouth, founded by his father in 1933.
The Gibson's of talking of demolishing the cottage as it is nearly impossiblel and not finanicially feasible to winterize it to make
it a year around home. If done the historical parts of the old cottage will be incorporated into the new home
as well as some of the windows and the interior finishing of the old cottage.
||The old cottage was razed and replaced with a new one in 2011-2012.|
COM AT SE COR LOT 1 LOGANSPORT SETTLEMENT ON THE S LN SEC 22 TH S30-11-11W 60.87' TO POB
TH N75-17-27W 258.12' TH CONT N75-17-27W 31.11' TH CONT N75-17-27W 2.32' TO SHORE LK
TH S44-07-45W 34' ETC