Sidney A. Vaughn whose name is so closely interwoven with the lumber industry of Cass county,
was born in Niagara county, New York, on June 29, 1842, a son of Artemas and Eleanor (Hines) Vaughn.
His early life was passed on his father's farm in Niagara county and in attending the district schools, and in 1861 he enlisted as a private in the Seventh New York Calvary for three years. By as order of the War Department, in 1862, the cavalary arm of the service was reduced and the seventh calvary, with others, was disbanded. Mr. Vaughn re-enlisted in the One hundred and twenty-nineth New York Volunteer Infantry, which in 1863, became the Eighth New York Heavy Artillery, which was recurited to its maximum of eighteen hundred men. While on the Peninsular Compaign, Mr. Vaughn applied to the War Department for permission to appear before the Carey Board and take the esamination for a commission. This was granted, a creditable examination was passed, and he has commissioned a First Lieutenant by Preisdent Lincoln. He was then ordered to Kentucky to help recruit a comman which became the Twelth United States Heavy Artillery. With this he continued during the remainder of the war, and was honorably discharged at its close after having served a total of four years and four months.
Succeeding this service, for a year he was in charge of the retail department of the packing house of A. E. Kent & Company, Chicago, and then came to Indiana, in search of a permenant location in a business way. With A. E. Richarson he bough a sawmill and a quanity of poplar logs located a short distance nertheast of Lincoln, in Jackson tosnwhip, Cass county, and after converting these logs into lumber, moved to Lincoln. In partnership with J. E. Parker, he then bought thirteen hundred acres of the best timber land in Jackson township, one and a half miles north and west of Lincoln, and here the installed a saw mill and converted the timber into merchantable timber. Mr. Vaughn was for many years one of the largest shippers of black walnut in this locality.
The firm of Vaughn & Parker bought the old Johnson residence property on Fourth Street, opposite the Fourth National Bank in Logansport, which old building they razed and on the site they erected what is known as the Vaughn & Parker block, in this building was entered the first plate glass in Loganpsort. Mr. Vaughn has been an active figure in the commercial and political history of Cass county for nearly half a century, and has borne his full share of the civic burden and in the developement and upbuilding of the city along the lines of its best good.
He was a Republican in politics until 1896, when, owing to the financial plank in the platform of the party in that year, he went over to the Democratic _action [fraction?}, and has since affiliated with that party. He has served three terms in the city council of Logansport, one term as mayor of the city, in all of which iffices he acquitted himself with the utmost credit, his services resulting in much good to the common good of the city. He is a Mason of the Knight Templar degree, and is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
In 1880 Mr. Vaughn was married to Miss Lilla W. Rice, the daughter of W. H. Rice, of Indianapolis, the editor and proprietor of the Masonic Advocate. To their marriage three children have been born: Lillian Ethel, now Mrs. W. H. Mordhurst, of Fort Wayne, Indiana; Sidney R. and Regina. Mrs. Vaughn died July 14, 1911. Excellent educational advatanges have beed afforded the children of Mr. Vaughn, for while he lacked similar privileges in his own youth, he has never been one to gainsay the benefits that accure from such advantages, and he determined that his children should not be handicapped as he was in that respect. All three of his children have completed the curriculum of the Logansport schools, and Lillian is a graduate of the Chicgao Univeristy, while Sidney has his degree from Purdue Univeristy.
History of Cass County, Indiana : from its earliest settlement to the present time, with biographical sketches and reference to Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913. Vol. 11 pg. 1197-8