202 N. Main
|| 1) 'Milly '/ Eleanor Zechiel - Millinery |
2) Printing/Culver Citizen -
Koonz & Sons ? -1913
It is said that the Culver Citizen moved from the small building refered to as "cramped photographer's
building" at 115 S. Main.
to above to above Hawkins Tavern (117 S. Main St.).
From there it moved to a small building where the library now stands
(107 N Main.) which is refered to as the "Overman building
which is said the building was to have been moved to the back Johnson's Tire Service
(202 N Main.) and then moving to into the
two story building on the front of the lot. Jul 26 1944- Citizen
3) Small unlabeled building in back of Culver Citizen building
1924 Sanborn Map
|A 1908 crop form postcard, clearly labeled the "Culve Citizen" on the side of the building.
of this era - an account is found in the Culver Ctizen of July 11, 1974:
Just to keep the record straight it might be added that Mr. Corwin omitted one home of The Citizen. It was in a two-story building that
gave way to Johnson's Service Station years after the paper moved to its present location.
Here The Citizen has expanded, taking over the entire first floor and basement after the Northern Indiana Public· Service Company
moved to its present quarters. Modern machinery and equipment have been added from time to time until none of the machinery is left
that was in the shop 21 years ago. Modern automatic presses and machinery have been installed, giving The Citizen the best
equipped newspaper-commercial printing plant in any town its size in the entire state.
1913 July 3 — As soon as this issue of The Citizen is off the press, the task of moving the plant into the new Austin
1913 - Aug. 28 - The room formerly occupied by The Citizen is being prepared for the use of the primary department
of the public school which has been crowded out of the large building.
1913 Nov. 6 - Charles Stahl has equipped the second story of the former printing office building with kitchen
sinks and city water
||1) Ins. office |
2) Kindergarten School
3) Dry Cleaning
1914 Sanborn Map
1922 - Plat Map Label as real estate>
||1) 'S" |
2) Lodge Halls
3) 'S' - 1924 Sanborn Map
? - 1925 - American Legion
1925 - Johnson moves to the American Legion Room. The Post will move to
the Warner building
which has been occupied by the Koontz Variety Store untill recently.
1930 - March 5 - Old Landmark
Gives Way to Improvement
1930-37 - Johnson Super Service - - Walter Johnson
1958-1963 - Johnson Tire Repair Service - Walter Johnson
1963, Jan - ? Johnson Tire Service / Cardinal Service Station, -Harold Miller, Robert Miller &
1968 January 18 – The Cardinal Service Station, also known as Johnson Tire Service and
operated by Robert. Miller-, was broken into during the night of January 10. 1968
1969 - about was sold to Roy Jackson and closed permentantly about 1970-1971
Multi Use late 1970's, 1980's, 1990's
||Aldonna Muehlhauesen and her husband purchased the building and remolded it into a
usable businees store and during this time period it house one or more business at a
She had the best quality yarn for knitting, embrodery thread, cross stitch and needlepoint
and knitting supplies.
The Entertainer Inc. - Steve & Beth Randolph 1989/1990 - 2001, Sep.
Stephen F. Randolph March 23, 1962 - Oct. 23, 2015 CULVER - Stephen F. Randolph, 53, of Culver, passed away
suddenly on Oct. 23, 2015. Stephen was born in Beach Grove, to Allan and Joan (Walters) Randolph on March
23, 1962. Stephen is survived by his wife Beth of Culver; son Ian Randolph of Culver; daughter Tatiana Randolph
of Culver; and sisters Cynthia (Stephen) McDaniel of Culver and Susan (Frank) Neikirk of Grovertown. No services
are being held at this time. Memorials may be given to the American Cancer Society
Once again stood empty for awhile
Family Vision Clinic Linda N. & Mark A. Couts - 2001, Sep - 2013 |
They moved frm 218 S. Main; he had started his practice
with Dr. F. L. Babcock
OP LOT 27 S 60'