Culver has been a part of Henderson's life His father, John Henderson, spent 62 years serv ing Culver Military Academy from 1919-61 in
several capacities before retiring as director of admissions. The Hendersons lived on Academy Road in the house now occupied by the Head
of Schools and attended Woodcraft Camp. All four of Jim enderson's children graduated from Culver.
Henderson got started in fund raising for Culver in 1961, serving on the school's "Program for Excellence" campaign that raised $5 million. In 1983, as president of the Board of Trustees, Henderson led the "Choices for Culver" campaign, that effort raised $60 million. He served as co-chair for Principal Gifts for the By Example campaign, launched in 2004 which concluded June 30, 2010, making it the most successful capital campaign in American secondary education and was to raise to $300 million. Additionally, in the early '80s, Henderson headed a five-year campaign for Princeton University, his college alma mater, that exceeded its $350 million goal. He served in 2010 as Chair Emeritus for the Princeton Aspire Campaign, which aimed to raise $1.75 billion.
James A. Henderson retired as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Cummins Engine Company Inc., Columbus, Indiana, in December 1999,
Mr. Henderson has been a Director of AT&T Inc. since October 1999. He served as a Director of Ameritech Corporation from 1983 until the company was acquired by AT&T Inc in 1999. He also served as a Director of Indiana Bell Telephone Company (which became a subsidiary of Ameritech) from 1978 until 1983. He is the Chairman of the Human Resources Committee and a member of the Executive Committee and the Finance/Pension Committee.
Mr. Henderson is a Director of International Paper Company; has served as a director of Nanophase Technologies Corporation since July 2001; Rohm and Haas Company he announced his retirement from the board May 1, 2005; and Ryerson Tull, Inc [the period during which he served as a director of our former subsidiary Inland Steel Company, Director of Ryerson Tull since 1978, Director of pre-merger Ryerson Tull since 1996; Chairman of our Nominating and Governance Committee and a member of our Audit Committee]; member of the Board of Directors of Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART), Landmark Communications, Inc., SBC Communications, Inc., Heritage Fund of Bartholomew County, Inc. and is a member of the Washington, D.C. Business Council.
He attended Culver Military Academy, holds an A.B. in public and international affairs from Princeton University and an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School. He joined the U.S. Navy in 1956, achieving the rank of lieutenant and served as an instructor at the U.S. Naval Academy. He then graduated from the Harvard Business School as a distinguished Baker Scholar and taught there for a year before joining Cummins Engine Company.
In 1964 he joined Cummins Engine Company in Columbus, Ind. Mr. Henderson was elected Executive Vice President in 1971, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer in 1975, President and Chief Operating Officer of Cummins in 1977, was promoted to President and Chief Executive Officer in 1994 and served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer from 1995 until his retirement in 1999.
He is a past Chair of the Executive Committee of the Princeton University Board of trustees.
After 10 years as chairman of The Culver Educational Foundation Board of Trustees, Culver native James Henderson, relinquished that title the weekend of May 7-8, 2010 as the trustees convened on the Culver Academies campus. He, however, will remain active with the CEF Trustees as chairman emeritus and as chairman of the board's Development Committee.
|married Mary Evelyn Kriner daughter of Shirley Alexander Kriner & Mary Genevieve Trimble|