415 Lake Shore Drive
Nathaniel Gandy Retires having
sold out his interests in the barns here to his partner, Mr. Abram Hayes, the transaction occurring
Saturday, the 27th July 1897 and in retiring feels that he has left the business in good hands as
no more conscientious or honorable men than Hayes and Son can be found
1897 - April. 2 - Hays & Son have moved their livery outfit to the barn near the depot
Apr. 1897 - 1905 - 1906 - Hayes & Son Livery - Toner Ave
May 28 - Hays & Son are constructing a feed shed in the rear of their livery barn which we
understand will accomodate at least 75 horses. We also understand they will have it so
arranged that farmer& can put their team under the shed for a long time for the sum of
10 or 15 cents.
1898 - Feb 18 - Hayes & Son have taken the agency to handle the Studebaker vehicles of all kinds.
Those desiring a firstclass article can call at the livery barn and see samples
||1901 July 26 Hayes & Sonís livery - The above represents Hayes & Sonís livery barn;
which is undoubedly the largest and most- modern in Marshall county. The main barn and its
annex will stable 300 horses, and put under shelter at least 50 buggies and carriages. In
connection the proprietors have a fine-line of driving Horses and carriages. Prompt and close
attention to business, has built up a tremendous trade. Their prices are reasonable.|
|Another 1901 ad
1903 - May 7 - Hayes & son have purchased new horses and buggies preparatory to the summer work.
1905 - Apr 13 - Hays & Son are having a new cement walk laid in front of their livery barn
|1906 Sanborn Map
1909 - February 11 - About March 15, C. E . Hayes will open a first-class auto livery and garage in Culver
and will have cars here for demonstration purpose at that time if roads and weather are good. Mr. Hayes
has taken the agency for the Auburn car and has already made one sale.
||1914 Sanborn Map
Gasol. Tk. 290 Gal. Buried
|1914-1946 - D. W. Miller Livery & Feed; Oil & Gasoline For Sale
Pictured here is the former Hayes Building which was the site of a thriving Culver business many
years ago. The building has since been replaced by a brick structure which is now occupied by the Ray
Wicker Ford Sales on Lake Shore Drive.
This picture was loaned to The Citizen by Mrs.
Dan Weirick of Culver whose father,
D. W. Miller,operated the Livery Stable and Taxi Stand at the time the picture was taken in 1914. Mr. Miller
operated the business from 1914 to 1946.
Mr. Miller is shown in the first taxi from the left, and the man standing with the horse is Roscoe
_arber. One of the other taxi drivers is Walter Pontius, but the third driver is unknown. - Aug. 12, 1965
||D. W. Miller|
|1920's Dominicus "Min' Hatten had the east half of the building for his cars buisness which
he moved to 110 W Lakeshore Dr.
at the corner of Ohio. & Lakeshore.
1926 - Nov. 17 - It is probable that C. E. Hayes will next spring wreck the old livery barn on Lake Shore
Drive and erect a galzed tile garage on the site<
1930 - Dec 3 - Tom Bogardus has opened a garage in the Hayes Building.
|1937 is divided into possibly 3 seperate lots - with 4 seperate business addresses
401 Lake Shore Dr - Filling Station -
405 Lake Shore Dr. - "S" -
'Conc Fl Pilast'D Walls (Tile)'
Culver Taxi Company - Clifford Loser
409 Lake Shore Dr. - Roofing W. HO. - 'Conc Fl Pilast'D Walls (Tile)'
Roofing company operated by Frank Young.
411-113 Lake Shore Dr. - Vacant. -
'Conc Fl Pilast'D Walls (Tile)'
1937 - MAY 12 An $8,000 fire damaged the building on Lake Shore Drive, ruined the bus belonging to Clifford
Loser, damaged a county road truck, and caused a loss to the roofing company operated by Frank Young.
|| 1937-1955 - A. R. McKesson
1931 - dec. 31 the last of a number of pieces of new equipment being installed in the A. R. McKesson
garage will be ready for use jan. 2, enabling the garage to do all kinds of body and fender repairing
|1937 - JULY 21 ó The Ford Agency and garage owned by A. R. McKesson
has moved from its location on East Jefferson> to the Hayes Building on Lake Shore Drive - Photo -
Culver Ford 1927, left to right Joe Humes, AR McKesson, ?, ?, ?. ||
1943 - Apr 28 - A. R. McKesson has purchased from Mrs. Bertha Hayes, the garage
building on Lake Shore Dr. which his business has been occupying for the past few years.
||1945 - Feb 14 - Sandard Oil Co. to Alva R. and Zella McKesson, west 50 feet of lot 15
and equipment north 15 feet of west 50 feet lot 16 Napp's Addition, Culver.|
1955-1962 - Dick McClure Ford Sales
1955 - Sep. 14 - The A. R. McKesson automobile agency was taken over Sept. 1 by
Richard "Dick' McClure of Winamac
1962- 1969 - Wicker Ford Sales - Ray Wicker
McClure Ford Sales Is Sold To Ray Wicker
Dick McClure Buys Rochester Firm
Ray Wicker of Lowell, Ind. has purchased the McClure Ford Sales at 415 Lake Shore Drive,
from Richard McClure and took over management of the business, which will now be known
as Ray Wicker Ford Sales, last Saturday.
Mr. Wicker has operated a used car lot at Cedar Lake for the past year. Previously he had
been Sales Manager for a Ford dealer in Lowell for six years.
Mr. and Mrs. Wicker are the parents of one child and are members of the Catholic Church.
They plan to move to Culver as soon as possible.
Dick McClure, who bought the local Ford Sales from A. R. McKesson in Sept., 1955, has
purchased the Jennings Motor, Inc., at Rochester and took over management of that
business yesterday. Mr. and Mrs. McClure and their three children plan to move to
Rochester in the near future.
Eugene Scott, who has been Service Manager at McClure Ford Sales, will continue in that
capacity for Mr. McClure at Rochester. Mr. Scott and his faniily who reside at 310 Lake
Shore Drive, will also be moving to Rochester.
Wally Hyatt of Lowell will replace Mr. Scott as Parts and Service Manager for Mr. Wicker.
Homer Kemple, salesman; and Charles Frain and John Cook, mechanics: will retain their
present positions with the Ray Wicker Ford Sales.
1969-1976 - Van Horn Ford-Mercury - 'Ron' Ronald & Connie VanHorn
Ron began working for Wicker's in 1964. I n Nov. 1969 he purchased the buisness
Brothers Mike and Jon VanHorn were mechanics and a Mr. Keifer and a Ron Noel were
salesman and Jon VanHorn eventually became a salesman also.
Ford - Mercury Has New Manager
Ron VanHorn has assumed the dealership of the Culver Ford- Mercury Sales as of November
Mr. VanHorn resided in the Bass Lake area most of his life and has lived in Culver for three
years. His wife is the former Connie Johnson of North Judson and they have two sons,
Ronnie and Rick.
Ron has been employed by the Ford Co. for five years, usually in the managing service
The Culver community wishes Ron luck with his new business. 11 Dec 1969 - Citizen
At The same time they also ran VanHorn Trucking company owniing their own semi-truck
and also VanHorn trees and shrubs. Ron also served as a Culver Police Officer under Sam
1976-1979 - Marshall Bros Ford-Mercury Inc
It was not to long after they bought it that that built a new building at the corner of new St. Rd. 31
& St. Rd. 10 just outside of Argos and transfered all business to there. The news of it was found
Marshall Bros. Ford And Mercury Moves To Argos
Culver - Marshall Bros. Ford and Mercury, located for many years at 415 Lake Shore Drive in Culver,
spent many long hours last weekend moving to its new location at the corner of St. Rd. 10 and
U. S. 31 in Argos. This is the new location is also the site of Marshall Bros. RV Center.
Genral Manager Ken Aemmer and his staff were busy last week moving new cars, used cars, service
equipment, office equipment and parts to the new location.
The foundation of the new building has been constructed and the building is to be installed in the
comming months. The sales office will operate temporarily ont of the mobile office at the site.
The service department will be temporarily located in the old Vanadco Sign Co. building on St Rd.
10 near the Argos Post Office.
The Marshall Bros. Ford and Mercury agency serves both communities of Agros and Culver. The
agency feels that the new location on U. S. 31 will better serve the many fine customers since it
is located near the center of their dealership district. The same fine quality Ford Motor Co. products
and service will be offered at the new location. - - Jan 4, 1979
|1979 -1984 - 198_ A & R Motors - Ron Tanner
The Mar 1st issue annouced the up coming "Grand Opening" at their new lcoation - 415 Lake Shore
Dr.; they had been located at 103
Lake Shore Dr.
||The staff of A & R Motors is left to right. Leonard Richards, Sales Manager: Ron Tanner, Owner;
Ginger Hundt, secretary; MikeFitterling, mechanic; Mike Tanner, Bodyman and Ron Noel, Sales. They
are ready to serve you in their newly remodeled quarters at 415Lake Shore Drive. |
A & R Motors Opens New Facility
Culver - A . & R. Motors is open for business in their newly remodeled building at 415 Lake Shore Dr.
(formerly Marshall Bros. Ford). Ron Tanner owner, invites you to come in and look around. The area
behind the show room has been completely redone and the large work area contains space for body
work, mechanics. front end alignment and service.
A. & R Motors was started 14 years ago in the Culver area by Ronald and Allen Tanner. Ten years ago
they located at 101 Lake Shore Drive. Last November they purchased the 415 Lake Shore Drive
showroom and service center from the A.R. McKesson Estate. Both locations will contain fine quality cars
with the main sale and service center in the newly remodeled building.
The new mechanic, Mike Fitterling, 39, has 25 years automotive repair experience having worked the
last three years at Oliver Ford in Plymouth. His wife Theresa and daughter Michelle are Route 2 residents
of the Culver community. Mike has attended several service training schools and is certified by the National
Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. He looks forward to serving the repair needs of the community.
- March 8, 1979
||Culver - A & R Motors on lake Shore Drive recently installed a new sign identifying their
automotive sales and repair business. Their slogan "Home of the Besl Deals on Wheels" is under
their company name |
|1980 staff pictured, from left to right, front row, are Leonard Richards, Larry Hundt,
Bill Birk and Howard Babcock. Back row, Mike Fitterling, Richard Woodward, Ron Tanner and Ginger
Hundt. Also associated with A & R but not pictured are Ron Noel and Alan Tanner
? - Feb. 1995_ - Society National Bank
1996, Mar. - Rosline L. Robarts
While Robart's had it they leased it out and several businesses where in the front part, one being a
Clicks Inn (1999), Guiido's Pizza parlor & Sandwich shop - was to have been ran , managed or owned
by Mark click and possibly Tony Jimenez had some type of investment into it and the back part of the
building was was used as storage.
While the library was being constructed and remodeled the library occupied most of the building
as temporary quarters.
2003. Jan - Donald Robarts
2005, Nov. - 'Larry' Lorenzo & Joette Surrisi
2008. Jan 2008 - Donald Robarts
2008 ,Jan- 2008,Feb. - 'Larry' Lorenzo & Joette Surrisi
It was refurbished and now is home of several business:
- City Tavern / Culver's city Diner 2007- 9 Jan 2011 - 'Larry' Lorenzo Surrisi
200_ City Tavern has opened to rave reviews. Local restaurateurs Jo and Larry
Surrisi have done it again. Sleek atmosphere, excellent service, and fresh,
innovative food. Enjoy.
- 2008-2013 Mirar Custom Homes
& Renovations/Mirar Development, Inc. Suite B
2011,Feb-2011,Mar - M & J Lakshore LLC
The west end is to be a banquet hall -
but in recent past weeks a bicyle was turned up side down in one of the windows -
and lately if not mistaken the windows have been covered up
- Gladie's deil
Gladie's deil is in the process of remodeling the far east side of the building .. they
have place 3 new windows on the side street side of the bulding. once remodeling
is doen they will be moving from their downtown location at
108 N. Main st.
with the move to this location they will add a baker and bakery items to their menu
items. Also will be an extension of hour of broader variety. As int he past they will
continue to offer catering.
Note: - as of late 2013 this looks as if it is now defunct
2011-Mar-2012, Dec - North Lakeshore Holdings LLC
2012, Dec- 2014, Aug - M & J Lake Shore LLC - ? or Scotty Van Hawk of
Four Feathers Racing?
2014,Aug-2017 - 27 Group Inc., The
This building looks like to be totally vacant of any type of business as of now -
the windows are sheeted up with brown paper and there is an 8 by 11 1/2 in white paper
with about 1/2 of it written on.
2018 - ALIAS SUMMONS - PUBLICATION
TO., REGISTERED AGENT OF THE 27 GROUP, INC. KATIE DELACRUZ
SCOTTY VANHAWK SCOTTY VANSCOIK
The defendants are believed tohave an interest in real estate located
at 415 Lakeshore Drive,Culver, Indiana 46511 that is alleged to be unsafe
as set out in the allegations of a Complaint filed on August 15, 2018.
Defendants must respond within thirty (30) days after the last notice of
this action is published . .... October 5,12,19 2018 CC250098
KNAPP ADD LOT 15 W 50' - Vacant lot
KNAPP ADD LOT 15 EX W 50'
KNAPP ADD LOT 16 EX W 50'