419 S. Main
James F. D. Lanier
|| 1835-1837 Plat Map
Section 21 Lot 1 - 52.41A
Section 21 Lot 2 - 41.92A
Section 21 Lot 3 - __.__A [41.49]
of Jefferson county, Indiana on 30 June 1837 was issued the
the East half
of Section twenty; Fractional Section of Twenty One; Fractional Section of Twenty
Seven and Fractional section of Twenty eight containing 793 32/100 acres.
|1872 Plat Map
J. Miller 18.32A
A. Foot 21.60A
J Robbin 27.90A James G Robbins
J. Filer 10A
J. Smith 61.40A
||1876 Plat Map - no names on it for this section|
|1880 Plat Map
W. J. Myers 17.85A
M. G. Gould 23.92A; 56.57A
E. Parker 27.42A
J. Filer 10A
C. Filer 39.40A
G. A. Durr - Lot 2
A.C. Shepherd Etal
||The 419 S. Main property was a part of the M. G. Gould holdings of 56.57 & 23.92A|
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
1883 - Oct 6 - The Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a
day or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
1886 - Feb 17 - Christopher Myers,
to Henry Barnhisel (his stepfather- & his mother)
1887 - Feb 21 - Henry & Laura A. Barnhisel
deeded 50 acres to Madus E. Garn and
Benjamin F. Garn
1888 April 30 - Henry Barnhisel & Sarah/Laura Barnhisel to Nathan F. Clark & Sarah Clark
1889 - April 29 - Henry & Laura A. Barnhisel deeded to Samuel E. Medbourn
(part of which became the
April 23, 1891 - Laura A. Barnhisel Henry Barnhisel to David Hawk (419 S. Main)
David Hawk, Birth: Oct. 5, 1824 Northampton
County Pennsylvania, USA Death: Oct. 7, 1908 , was the eldest of nine children born to Louis and Eva
Hawk buried Culver Masonic Cemetery
David Hawk first married Mary Ann Swick
David Hawk in 1855 he married Catherine (Katie) Fielar (Fieler, Filar) Birth: Sep. 24, 1838 Ohio,
Death: Jan. 2, 1927 daugther of Conrad Fieale and Annie [-?-]
||the 1894 Incorporation map
and the second one for Marmont has surfaced.
and seems to clearly show and I might be wrong and thus would date the house back to 1894 now - |
On it where the property is located; are 2 black squares [could be ink spots :-( ] but maps of this era
showed structures by this method.
This could mean the house is older than that also and possible was built by Laura A & Henry Barnhisel instead
of David & Catherine Hawk The other the first one that surfaced the markings seem the be letters/numbers only
There is two distinct drawing patterns in both documents one is heavier lines and the other is lighter
Which do you believe to be accurate is now the question.
||Garn - - 1895, Jul 15|
July 15. 1895 - And be it also remembered that the committe viz T.B. Harris, J. H. Castleman and
E. E. Geislman who were appointed to examine the properiety of accepting the Garns addition to
the town of Marmont, reported favorably a motion was made and duly seconded that said
addition be and constitue a part of the imcorporated Town of Marmont, as the plat shows, and to
be known as the Garns Addition
||pg. 57 - Marmont Changed to Culver City - 24 October 1895|
Areas in corporated into Culver
M. Grubs 10A +
B. Easterday 38.40
South Long Pont
1901 - David Hawk Sr. paid road Tax use on NE 20-32- Twp/out Lot 1
1902 - April 20 - David Hawk & Catherine Hawk to
William H. Wilson & Dora O. Wilson
A tract of land west of the Winamac Road situated in the south east corner of the south 1/2 of North 1/3
of the North Eats 1/4 of Section 20 and in the South west corner of the South 1/2 of North 1/3of Lot 1 in
Section 21, all in Township 32 NOrth of Range 11 East, commencing at a point at the South East corner of
the one acre tract now owned by the Evangelical Association and on the west line of the Winamac Road
157 feet, thence west 280 feet, thence north parallell with the Winamace Road one hundred and fifty-seven
(157) feet, thence east 280 feet to the place of beginning, one acre more or less. Situate Marshall County Indiana.
||1902 - Dec. 8 - William H. Wilson, Dorah O. Wilson to Ezra E. Hawkins to
Ezra E. Hawkins
A tracy of land in Town of Culver City, west of the Wnamac Road, situated in the south east corner of the
South 1/2 of the North 1/3 of the North East 1/4 of Section 20 and in the south west corner of the South
1/2 of the North 1/3 of Lot No. 1 in Section 21 in Township 32 North, Range 1 East. described as follows:
Commencing at a point at the south east corner of one acre tract now owned by the Evangelical Association, and
on the west line of the Winamac Road, from thence running south on the west line of the Winamac Road line of the
WIinamace Road 91 feet, thence west 264 feet, thence south ?N. south underlined? parallel with the WInamac
Road 66 feet, thence east 264 feet to the west line of the WInamac Road, thence north along said road 66 feet to
the place of beginning of the tract hereby conveyed.
The intention being to convey a tract 66 feet north and south by 264 feet east and west in the south east corner of
the tract of land conveyed to these grantors by DAvid Hawk and wife April 30 1902 by deed recorded in Deed Record
No. 69 page 517, of the records of Marshall county, Indiana.
Situate Marshall county Indiana.
April 30, 1902 - William Wilson sold his blacksmith shop and residence to Ezra Hawkins, who receives possession
February 1, The shop has already been rented to a blacksmith from Mentone, Mr. W... - Citizen
April 30, 1902 William & Dora Wilson purchased the property from David and Catherine Hawk
December 8, 1902 - Ezra Hawkins Purchases property
Some of the early Hawkins family
Also a great granddaughter was in my Class and we graduated together in 1970. Ezra E Hawkins
and Mary Jane Ebling Hawkins ...Lloyd Hawkins and Ruby Lunsford ...Fern K Hawkins and Ermil C. Lewis .....
Mary Ann Lewis ......Sandra (Sandy) Lewis ......James Lewis
residence for a time probably
during the time period for his first marriage and also owned several houses, properties and bunisness in
Culver as will as was a mail carrier.
|1908 Plat Map - Shows David Hawk owned 99.53A that surrounded the area; the church is labeled
on the corner of Mill & Main and this long lot incorporates 419 S. Main into it for some reason tho it was not a part of it
and stated as such in the deeds when the church lot & house lot was sold. Also the remainder of the Hawk lands
after selling off the house property.
||1914 Sanborn map as house and outbuildings were pictured. The Yelllow color indicated that it was a
frame building; the "X" indicated the area was a shiingle roof and the "O" indicated a Slate or tin roof - it
was a tin roof; it was labeled one story tho it had an attic and a partial basement.|
||This map is found just after a page marked continuation from Septemebr 12th to September 20th, inculsive.|
||1922 shows the Ezra E. Hawkins property and platted out ... the 1944 estate deed to Charles E. Medbourn
and Harvey D. Edgington states as the last sentence before signatires "Also, any and all interest in an
alley which at one time divided the above tracts, which has been vacated by non-use" As far a I can tell it never
was deed off and was never dedicated, put to use etc. ast Ezra Hawkins sold to the telephone company of the
periods rights to erect a pole and maintain it which now also holds NIPSCO and cable TV lines.|
||1923 - October 20th - Ohio Street south was deed off by Edwin C. Hawk and Mary, his wife; Ezra Hawkins and Jennie
Hawkins his wife; Walter G. Fishburn and Nettie Fishburn his wife. |
|| AUg 21 1924 - he had to re-acknowledge Aprl 20 1933 Right-of-Way Indiana Bell Telephone Co.
for pole in back yard. This pole sit in the middle of what was to have been an alley! |
||The 1924 Sanborns map of 419 South Main. Shows that Ezra Hawkins by this date had sold off the corner
lot and a house and what was a candy shop (by David Burns' stories) was built.|
||Some visible minor changes are indicated between 1914 and 1924 - the front proch was made into an "L"
wrap around. The back of the house is no longer a straight wall - which means the kitchen/bathroom area had been
expanded but the structure today indicates this did not occur.
||1937 Sanborn map of house area.|
||This was about November 17, 1939.|
May 3, 1940 Hawkins Rental Property - By the 1940 Census house had become a rental property
for Erza Hawkins The family of Merrill G. Scruggs was living in it on 3 May 1940 and stated that
they were living in the same place in 1935. He worked at the Culver Post Office . He was the
son of Norman E Scruggs and Nellie F. Bailey and a brother to Norman M. 'Mack' Scruggs m.
'Jane' Rosemary Jane Taber Merrill Jackson "Jack" Scruggs 94, of Avon IN., passed away
Sunday, April 3,...
1940 - October - Dave Burns
Occupies 419 S. Main Street 9 Oct 1940 The Dave Burns Family, who has been occupying the
Hazelwood property on Lake Shore Drive for several years, moved to the Ezra Hawkins property on
South Main Street last week
Pages 136-137 - Charles E. Medbourn and Claire Medbourn, his wife, & Harvey D. Edington
and Donna Edington, his wife to David B. Burns, and Fred Burns, husband and wife - 9 March 1944
||Sometime about 1959 David stared to brick the house he never finished it only saying "next spring" or
"next fall" neither came.... There was a 3rd one to this set of Freda with a baseball bat David laughingly
joked it was taken this day becaus so many had stopped to talk to him and was interuppting his progress
on the house. He said the man sitting on the proch talking to him was Frank Hayward. I gave it to a
daughter back when and have lost the computer copy I made of it.|
Pages 138-164 - here ends the abstract dated July 13, 1960. [Freda Marquis Reed]
May 28th, 1963 - Warranty Deed - This was done to reconvey the property into joint title:
David B. Burns and Helen Durkot Burns, his wife to Beveryl Kay Thomspon, in Trust, to be
by her reconveyed to the grantors as husband and wife. states that Freda Burns died on
August 4, 1961.
May 28th, 1963 - Beverly Kay Thomspon, Trustee of and express trust created in a certain
deed of even date herewith to David B. Burns and Helen Durkot Burns, husband and wife
The back of house from Jun 1972 (proably earlier) to Oct 1980.
June 8, 1976 - Quit Claim Deed Helen Durkot Burns and David B. Burns Sr. to David B.
Burns Sr. [Helen (Durkot) Best Altman]
|House shortly after Sep - October 1980 - slightly raised roof over the back flat roof (still remaining underneath to this day)
and the re-doing of the back porch.
Septemebr 25, 1985 - Warranty Deed - David B. Burns, Sr. to Judith E. Burns
[Judith E. Mc Kee]
Abstract of the house
and the general areas of Section 21.
||an aerial view of the location|
At present it is trying to be
saved and restored
- by Judith E. Burns