508 Lake Shore Dr. ( 504 Lake Shore Dr. )
It also was possibly listed at one time as 514 Lake Shore drive as that number appears on
the sanborn map and also as 610 Lake Shore Drive.
||Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey|
|Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
||1872 - Section. 16
Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
T. Houghton 90A.
J. HOughton Acreage not stated
J ___ name illegible 4A
G. A. Durr 10A
Lot no name no acreage stated
G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]
|1876 - J. Castleman - 190A
1876 Section 16
||1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
I N Morris 185.34
B. W. Watt 15.50A
LakeView Club 15A
J Duddleson 109.31A
Tho. Houghton 90A.
J. E. Houghton 19.60A
E Parker 27 A
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d
ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
1888 - Meat Market / ?Hotel? - by Fred Keppler of Logansport and was demolished in
March 1933 to erect a Phillips 66 gas station and later was the Shell Gas station.
It was located on the Northeast corner of Lakeshore Drive and State Street
1889 - Daniel A. Bradley
purchased a place formerly owned by Celia VanSchoiack
|1898 - Section 16
L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
T. Houghton 89A
E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
J. J. Bryant
Incorporated Limits of Culver
||1900 - Evermans' Biological Survey|
||1906 - Restaurant - by the 1906 Sanborn Map which shows a large building
divided into 2 stores. |
1907 - May 2 - D. A. Bradley to E. J. Bradley part outlot 4 Toner's add., Culver $2300
1908 - Jan 16 - Seely L. VanSchoiack has sol to Ed Bradley the lot adjoing the Brabley hotel
on the west for $450. Bradley will erecr a building 28 X 100, one story high, to be used as
an amusement resort. He had comtracted with the Brunswick company for two bowling alleys
and tow pool tables and as soon as the weather permits wiill commence laying the foundation
for the construction of a fram building. The entire incestement will represent between $2,500
|1914 - Restaurant & Rooms by the 1914 Sanborn Map
1920 - Jul 21 - Hotel Bradley
becomes Chasnelle, The Ad states : Now open - throughly equiped and renovated,
the former Bradley Hotel, hereafter to be known as
||1922 - Hotel (by plat map) |
|1924 - The Sanborn Fire Map labels it as the Chasnelle - this is labled as
Chasnelle on the Sanborn fire map.
David Burns also said this was known as the Paramont Hotel which is confirmed by the Jul 1925 Citizen
Announcement name of the Chasnell Hotel has been changed to that of Paramount Hotel...
management remains the same... Mrs. A. McLochiln, prop
1926 - Feb. 10 - Builder of Paramont Hotel, Dies in Logansport
Mr Fred Keppler, age 81, died at his home in Logansport last Sunday after an illness of several months
duration. Furneral services were held yesterday and burial was made in the Winamac cemetery.
Mr. Keppler was the builder of the building in the east part of town that now bears the
name of Paramount Hotel.
The structure went up just forty-five years ago  and he ran a meat market therein
for some time the town was then known as Marmont.
He leaves a wife and one son.
The following also give information on the Paramont Hotel
The Shell American Pertoleum Company has purchased the lot at the corner of Lake Shore and
Liberty Street (sic State), which is opposite the Paramount hotel and owned by Dr.
C. L. Slonaker. - Jul 27 1927
1927 - Jul 27 - Paramount hotel and owned by Dr. C. L. Slonaker.
1933 - March 15 - Kemple to Build Service Station
$3000 Service Station to Go Up on State and Lakeshore
Brick building to be Ready For Use in Two Months; to Handle Philips Products
Work has been started in tearing down one of the landmarks of the town, the Paramount Hotel,
to make room for a $3,000 super service station to be built by Homer Kemple
The new station will be of brick and cement with a glass front featuring the exterior. A 60-foot
drive is planned so that motorist will have easy access to the service area.
It is expected that the structure will be ready for occupancy in about two months, but gasoline
pumps will be installed in about three weeks. Mr. Kemple plans to handle the weill know Phillip's 66
Mr. Kemple plans to leave the house at the rear of the hotel and to enlarge it for his home.
He is an experienced service station manager, havin been connected with the local Shell Station for
three and one-half years. Clifford Overmyer has been appointed manager of the Shell Station.
The Paramont Hotel, formerly known as the Chasnell, is about 45 years old , and at one time
was one of the popular Hotels of the town.
||1934 - Sep - Buys Blue Front -
Homer Kemple has bought the front half of Henry Lizenberger's Blue Front dance hall building
(formerly bowling alley) which he will wreck and use the space for the enlargement of the driveway
to his gasoline station |
Mar 1933 - - Phillips 66 Gas Station
|1922 - Sep. 13 - Motor Inn Garage / Phillips 66 Gas Station Kemple & Bennett
1933 - Dec 27 - Homer Kemple Burned by Gas Explosion
Homer Kemple, of the Motor Inn Garage, was burned about the hands and chest Thursday evening in
what might have been a fatal accident but for the quick work of those standing by.
Kemple was holding a pan of gasoline under the carburetor, to fill it by suction when the motor
backfired in the carburetor, setting fire to the gasoline. In jumping back away from the flames
Kemple threw the fluid over him, making him a torch.
Remebering a similar accident where the victim died from inhaling the flames, Kemple held his
breath wile men standing nearby rolled min in a blanket and caos, extinguishing the falmes,
limiting the painful burns on the hands and chest
1934 - Jan 24 - Lights Match to See If Gas Tank is Full - Yes, Gas Still Burns
When a match is lighted near gasoline the result is always the same, as Curtis Rogers learned to
his sorrow Tuesday evening when he struck a match to see if the gas tank was full while being
filled at the Motor Inn pumps
Flames leaped high in the air as Charles Bennett jerkeds the hose out of the tank, spreadin the
flames on the cement. He put these out with a fire extinguisher, helped push the flaming
truck into the street and put in a call for the fire department
The fames were finally sothered by chemicas after the wiring on the engine, and the cad were
badlt damaged by the hot fire.
Rogers had just fitted the truck out for CWA work two days perviously.
1934 - Apr 18 - Homer Kemple is now the sole owner of Motor Inn, replacing the firm of
Kemple & Bennett
Notice of Dissolution of Partnership
Notice is hereby given that the undersigned partieds have dissolver the partnership heretofore
existing under the firm name and style of Kemple & Bennett, and that all unpaid bill are now
due and paybale to Homer H. Kemple, the survivor of said partnership business.
Dated at Culver Indiana, this 12th day of April, 1934. (Signed) Homer H. Kemple, Charles H.
1934 - Mar 14 - Notcie as Charles Bennett is not longer associated with me in the operation of
the Motor Inn, all accounts are to be paid to me or an authorized employee of the the
business and to no one else - Homer H. Kemple, Proprietor of Motor Inn
1935 - Jan 9 - Kemple Now Associate Dealer For Gen. Motors
Homer H. Kemple, proprietor of Motor Inn garage, has signes contracts that make him an
associate dealer for the full line of General Motors automobiles
He has been acting in this capacity for Chevrolets for the ast few years, but now is in a
postion to handle any make of car made bu General Motors.
1935 - Oct 30 - Spanglers Now Operating Kemples Service Station
George Spangler and son,
A HREF="lots_610_lakeshore_dr/bryon_spangler.htm" target=new> Bryon,
have leased the Kemple Service Station and too over the operation of the business Monday.
Homer Kemple has accepted a position in the tailor shop at the Acadmey.
|1937 Sanborn map this is labeled as auto Sales& service and with gas pumps
Note - there is also another gas station on the lot across State Street next to the movie
theater by 1937; besides the one that has been down on the south east corner of
Lakeview Street and Lake Shore Drive since 1924!
||1938 - Jan 26 - Spangler Sales & Service - Phillips 66 - Bryon Spangler Manager
1940 - Mar 6 - Washburn Manager of Phillips 66 Station
William R Washburn, formerly of Fort Wayne and son of W. E. Washburn of Culver,
has become manager of the Phillips 66 Station
former manager has opened a garage and sales room at the rear of the
George Spangler House.
According to Cutter Washburn, his parents’ interest in the care and feeding of teenagers had
its start in that sort of gas-station candy sales, at a Phillips 66 service station on the
north-west corner of Lake Shore Drive and State Street, currently the site of the fire station.
The elder Washburns had moved here from Fort Wayne (where they were already operating
a gas station) around 1941, and the Phillips station quickly became a teen hang-out— beyond
the snacks for sale, the place had board and card games on hand to make it, as we would say
today, user-friendly. They went on to opertate "The Barn." located on School Street and
the Beach Lodge during the summer months.
1942 - Dec 23 - H. N. Blair is opertating the Phillips 77 Service Station as George Spangler
is confined to his home following a fall on a sidewalk last week
1935 - 1944 - Spangler was to have owned - Have not found a purchase date between
the lease date of Oct 30 1935 between Kemple & Spangler and when Spangler sold to
VanMeter on Feb 2, 1944 by newspaper accounts.
1944-1952 - VanMeter Farm Implement Co -
1944 - Feb. 2 - Kewanna Man Buys Phillips Station
Lester Van Meter of Kewanna has bought the Phillips 66 Service Station of George Spangler
taking possession Tuesday
|1944 - May 17 - New Buisness Handles Farm Service Repairs
Charles VanMeter of Kewanna has about completed the remodeling of the former Phillips 66
service station building where he is handling tracto service and famr machinery repairs.
He has been in the business for years and has a corps of expert mechanics.
The stock of repair parts is being increased steadily so the most repairs can be take care of
1944 - Sep 13 -VanMeter to Enlarge Implement Building
Work on the enlarging the Charles VanMeter Implement Store has been started and when
completed the present structure at the corner of Lake Shore Drive and State street will have
little resemblance to its present appearance.
The cement areaway formerly usrd by the service station has been cleared away and a
basement is being dug.
The present roof will be raised and the interior remodeled to conform with the addition that
will exend to both streets.
1946 - Charles VanMeter /
Omer Hook, Manage
1948 - Dec 22 - Joins VanMeter Staff
Homer Kemple has accepted the postion of salesman fro the Charles VanMeter Implement Store,
according to announcement nade by Omer Hool, local manager
He will devote most of his time to calling on users of farm machinery and equipment.
1950 - We take pleasure in announcing that we have recently accepted the dealership for the
Jacobsen Power Lawnmower - 8 Feb 1950
1952 December 10 – Omer Hook buys VanMeter firm here Transfer on Jan. 1
Omer Hook has purchased the Charled VanMeter International Harvester firm here in Culver,
it was announced this week.
Widely known, Mr. Hook has been associated with Mr. VanMeter for the past 17 years. He
supervised the establishment of the firm here and has successfully manafed it ever since it
was started 8 years ago.
The transfer of the business will take place on January 1st, 1953. Mr. Hook stated in
announcing his purchase of the business
Asked concerning any change of plocy or plans in carrying on the businss, the new owner
poined out that it will be operated just the same as it has in the past.
1953 - Hook Implement Store -
Omer Roy Hook
1953-1960'S - Nelson Equipment Company
1953 - August 26 - Nelson Equipment Company Starts Business Here
Culver extends a hearty welcom to an enterprising young business man,
who, on Monday took over the Orner Hook Implement Store on Lake Shore Drive and
will operate the establishment under the name of Nelson Equipment Company.
1960 Donald P. and Genevieve (Sales) Osborn purschased an interest in the Nelson International
Harvester and sold it in 1962 by their biography in the 1986 History of Marshall County.
New Town Hall For Culver
Nelson Equip. Co. Building and Lots fire Purchased" Occupancy June 1
The purchase of the Nelson Equipment Co. building on Lake Shore Drive for use as a
new Town Hall was announced by the Culver,Town Board at its regular meeting on
Board President Ted Ervin said the total purchase price of $25,000 includes the building
which houses the Nelson farm equipment business now being liquidated, and two
vacant lots across the street, behind the Shell Oil Co. property.
The price of the building was $23,500, and for the two lots, which will be converted
to parking lots, was $1,500.
Possession was promised by June 1. though Maurice Nelson, the owner, indicated that
the building will probably be available to the town before that date.
Slated to be moved into the new quarters over a period of several months will be the
Fire Dept., Police Dept., Council Chambers, and Clerk-Treasurer's
The Fire Dept. will move first, the board indicated, since it can be accommodated with
a minimum of building renovation.>
Later, as space for the various departments is allocated and the interior of the
70 x 80-foot building is remodeled to these requirements,the other departments will
The present Town Hall on Pl ymouth Street will be taken over by the Street
Department as it is vacated by other departments, and the building presently
used by the Street Department will probably be sold. >
The present Town Hall has housed the town departments for at least 40
years, according to Ernest Carter, building commissioner, and a longtime
Culver resident. >
The building has been overcrowded in recent years, particularly the F i re
Department, which has added new and larger equipment...>
The purchase price for the new Town Hall will be paid over a
three-year period through financing arranged with The State Exchange
||1966, Jun -1976 - Culver Town Hall|
1966-present - Culver Fire Station
TONER ADD OLOT4 69.5' N&S X 78.5' E& W]