612 Lakeshore Dr
||Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey|
|Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
||1872 - Section. 16
Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
T. Houghton 90A.
J. HOughton Acreage not stated
J ___ name illegible 4A
G. A. Durr 10A
Lot no name no acreage stated
G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]
|1876 - J. Castleman - 190A
1876 Section 16
||1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
I N Morris 185.34
B. W. Watt 15.50A
LakeView Club 15A
J Duddleson 109.31A
Tho. Houghton 90A.
J. E. Houghton 19.60A
E Parker 27 A
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
But found about the area is From the Logansport Pharos Tribune dated 15 Aug 1882:
...Al Toner, one of Kewanna's influential citizens, is that sure of the road being Built that
he purchased twenty-six acres of land at Lake Maxinkuckee probably for speculative purposes.
The land purchased is on the present site where it is thought the depot will be located. The
citizens of Marmont are not behind in agitating the benefits to be derived from the building
of the road, and will, it is understood, aid in its construction by giving liberally of their
1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d
ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
|1898 - Section 16
L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
T. Houghton 89A
E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
J. J. Bryant
Incorporated Limits of Culver
|By 1898 it shows that the area had been platted out into probably town
blocks; tho no buildings were designated. But we do know there were several hotels and
resturants in the area - a mongest to major fires that destroyed several of the buildings.
189_ - 189_ Nussbaum & Mayer
From the April Town Board minutes - April 1896
Be it also futhere rememberd that on motion which was duly seconded and carried it was
ordered to serve a notice on Nussbaum & Mayer for the construction of a side walk along
the south end of the lot owned by the said Nussbaum & Mayer in out lot No 5 Culver City,
(formerly Marmont) Indiana
||1900 - Evermans' Biological Survey Map only gives detail
of the railroad and pictures no buildings for the Lakeshore Dr. area except |
The next map which would of been the 1906 Sanborn fire map does not travel any further than
the west side of State Street where the current fire station sits leaving us to draw to
conculsions as to what sat in this are - but asssumption could be made that it was a part of
the railroad property and the part or all of the grounds
for the Colonade hotel.
|By the 1908 map everything from what is State Street today - to the east
edge end of the LakeHouse was one large lot labeled "5"
The next map which would of been the 1914 Sanborn fire map again does not travel any further
than the west side of State Street where the current fire station sits leaving us still to
draw to conculsions as to what sat in this are -
Finally in 1922 we have a map thay shows us that Lot 5 had been subdivided down over the years.
and also that there seems to be a small building posiibly either on the lot that was formerly
Hansen's or the Lakeview Tavern as there is a small open square on the very edge of the front
of the lot besides building on the east end
||By the 1924 Sanborn map there is defintely a building it and is clearly labeled "Movies"|
|Theater being the 1st and it appears that they were built together as a unit
and depicts probably what was the original faced of the buildings and was taken
probably just shortly after it was erected.
- 1922 - 1929
An ad stating location "Opposite R.R. Station" 15 Sep 1926
|Theater as it was before the remodel and logs put on as a facing.
1929 - Jan 23 - Star City Man Opened Culver Theatre, Sat - The Culver Theatre,
opposit the dept, was opened Saturday, Jamuary 19, under the management of Ray
Badger of Star City. Mr. Badger is an experienced show man and promises to give
the best of pictures here. He has installed a new screen, improved lighting for
the projector and remodeled the heating plant.
- c 1931 -
June 20, 1932
1931- Sep 16 - Palace Theater, which opened a few weeks
ago opposite the dept, has closed its doors.
(was the Culver Theater) 1934-1935
|| 610 Lakeshore Dr The 1937 - shows the same with a gas station to the
west of the "Movies" building |
In 1924 no street/postal numbers were assigned on the Sanborn Map but on the 1937
map the street/postal numbers appeared. Many still did not use the street/postal
numbers in their advertising etc. until the late 1950's they hung on to the
reference in relation of location from the depot
1946 - Fire dmages building
El Rancho Theater
Evert & Sadie Hoesel; John & Gwen Hoesel
1984, 1996,April - Lakeside Cinema -
James A. "Jim"& Pamela S. Baker
1996,April - Pamela S. Baker
1996,April-March 2007 - Lakeside Cinema - - Hand-Sum Corporation Franklin C. "Frank" &
Donna M. Stealy
|2007,March- 2015,Apr - Hand-Sum Corporation /
Uptown Cinema -
|2011 - 2015 - Closed for business
The big screen has been dark at 612 Lakeshore Drive for around two years now,
though reliable sources say the building is being purchased and will be put
to use again, though exactly how much of that use will involve
the showing of first-run movies is still unknown. - October 22, 2013
2015, Apr.-2016 - Bobs Country Bunker LLC - and by research done who ever bought
it it has some connection to the recently restored Vonnegut House on the East Shore
||By the newspaper article of 20 May 2015 - The local spoke person is
Joel Samuelson, who was with the theater during its last years 2007-2012;
2012 being the last time regular films were shown.|
Its noted in the article the Smuelson will be in charge of cleaning up the
building; making a listing of the needed repairs and renovations. Also its
stressed that this will be a "work in progress" and the goal is to fix and
put in working order before the doors are ever re-opened to the public.
The marquee seems to sum it up: "We Will Meet Again" "Coming Soon"
2015 - Nov. 5 - Town Council also approved a request from Bob's Country
Bunker LLC, which owns Culver's movie theater on Lake Shore Drive,
for a utility easement along the west side of the property in order to run
new water and sewer lines.
2016 - AUg 30 - Maxinkuckee Theatre Association
Last year saw announcement that a new owner had purchased the theater, with
local project coordinator Joel Samuelson navigating some of the steps needed
to bring the theater back to life.
Now a group of volunteers -- led by Samuelson and other members of the not-for-profit
Maxinkuckee Theatre Association in collaboration with local preservation organization
Culver-Union Twp. Heritage -- are partnering to continue that effor
2022 - June 2 - Unsafe building board voted to order the removal of the marquee
because it was starting to turn down; the also ordered that that ticket booth be
boarded up as there is damage to the windows and it appears entry gained into
TONER ADD W 30' E 140' OLOT 5