614 Lake Shore Drive
||Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey|
|Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
||1872 - Section. 16
Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
T. Houghton 90A.
J. HOughton Acreage not stated
J ___ name illegible 4A
G. A. Durr 10A
Lot no name no acreage stated
G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]
|1876 - J. Castleman - 190A
1876 Section 16
||1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
I N Morris 185.34
B. W. Watt 15.50A
LakeView Club 15A
J Duddleson 109.31A
Tho. Houghton 90A.
J. E. Houghton 19.60A
E Parker 27 A
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
But found about the area is From the Logansport Pharos Tribune dated 15 Aug 1882:
...Al Toner, one of Kewanna's influential citizens, is that sure of the road being Built that
he purchased twenty-six acres of land at Lake Maxinkuckee probably for speculative purposes.
The land purchased is on the present site where it is thought the depot will be located. The
citizens of Marmont are not behind in agitating the benefits to be derived from the building
of the road, and will, it is understood, aid in its construction by giving liberally of their
1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d
ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
|1898 - Section 16
L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
T. Houghton 89A
E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
J. J. Bryant
Incorporated Limits of Culver
|By 1898 it shows that the area had been platted out into probably town
blocks; tho no buildings were designated. But we do know there were several hotels and
resturants in the area - a mongest to major fires that destroyed several of the buildings.
189_ - 189_ Nussbaum & Mayer
From the April Town Board minutes - April 1896
Be it also futhere rememberd that on motion which was duly seconded and carried it was
ordered to serve a notice on Nussbaum & Mayer for the construction of a side walk along
the south end of the lot owned by the said Nussbaum & Mayer in out lot No 5 Culver City,
(formerly Marmont) Indiana
||1900 - Evermans' Biological Survey Map only gives detail
of the railroad and pictures no buildings for the Lakeshore Dr. area except |
The next map which would of been the 1906 Sanborn fire map does not travel any further than
the west side of State Street where the current fire station sits leaving us to draw to
conculsions as to what sat in this are - but asssumption could be made that it was a part of
the railroad property and the part or all of the grounds
for the Colonade hotel.
|By the 1908 map everything from what is State Street today - to the east
edge end of the LakeHouse was one large lot labeled "5"
The next map which would of been the 1914 Sanborn fire map again does not travel any further
than the west side of State Street where the current fire station sits leaving us still to
draw to conculsions as to what sat in this are -
Finally in 1922 we have a map thay shows us that Lot 5 had been subdivided down over the years.
and also that there seems to be a small building posiibly either on the lot that was formerly
Hansen's or the Lakeview Tavern as there is a small open square on the very edge of the front
of the lot besides building on the east end
|Theater being the 1st and it appears that they were built together as a unit
and depicts probably what was the original faced of the buildings and was taken
probably just shortly after it was erected.
||1924 Sanborn Map
By the 1924 & 1937 Sanborn map there is defintely an small store front
area within this building and each are clearly labeled "S"
In 1924 no street/postal numbers were assigned on the Sanborn Map but on the 1937
map the street/postal numbers appeared. Many still did not use the street/postal
numbers in their advertising etc. until the late 1950's they hung on to the
reference in relation of location from the depot.
1935 - - Maxinkuckee Liquor Store
1935 - Opens Liquor Store - Charles Hayes has opened a retail liguor Store
in his building opposite the depot. The merchandise is sold by the bottle
and nor indivdiual drinks are served
1935 - Oct 16 - Culver Pistoleers... the Macinkuckee Rifle Culb... the Club
has secured the basement next to the Palms Theater, owned by Charles Hayes, to
use as an infoor pistol range. The room is 40 by 60 feet in size
1935 - Nov. 20 - At Maxinkuckee Liquor Store 614 Lake Shore Drive, the
Garrett Wine co. will give a wine demonstration Tuesday afternnon. Nov. 26
|1942 - pictured below but no name visible
1946 - Hollywood Cafe
It was to have featured a horseshoe shaped bar. It said the business began
to decline when the owners remodeled and updated and the management
changed to rules to the dress code that was allowed to come into the
1946 - Apr 3 - Sandwich Shop to Open
Another new business will open when the Hollywood Snadwich Shop welcome the
public Saurday, April 6.
The restaurant, located opposite the depot and next to the El Rancho Theatre, has
been attractively decorated and has modern furnishings and equiptment thorughout.
Walter F. Ristow, who moved here seven months ago from LaPorte, is the prpoprietor.
Complete announcement of the opening given on another page of this issue
1946 - Aug 28 -
Fire Threatens Hollywood Cafe and other buildings
|1046 - Nov. 13 - Announcement of reopening under new management
1946 - Nov. 20 - Hollywood Sandwich Shop - Mr. & Mrs. H. C. Rathburn
The Hollywood Sandwich shop reopened today under new management
Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Rathburn being the new proprietors. They state that
regular hours will be kept with the restauratn open all day daily.
They were formerly in the resturant business at Lake Wawasee, Syracuse, Ind.
They have moved into a house on State street, coming here from Walkerton.
They have a daughter in high school and a son with the air force in
1947 - Sep 24 - Fire Causes about $600 Damage to Local Cafe
The Hollywood Cafe, located opposite the depot, was damaged to the extent of about
$600 by a fire that was discovered about 4 a.m. Sunday. The cause is unknown.
It is believed that the fire started in a pile of trash in the basement and lack of
air kept the flames from getting a head start.
The electric wiring was destroyed and several rafters were burned, while damage to
the main floor was limited to that from the heavy smoke. The loss is covered by
1940 - Apr 21 - Hollywood Cafe -
Thomas L Hogan, Prop.
||1948 - Apr 21 - Hollywood Cafe Open - Renovation has been completed and
Thomas L. Hogan, proprietor, announces that the restaurant is complete
meals and short orders. The cafe is located next to the El Rancho Theatre|
|1949 - Aug. 17 - Hollywood Cafe - Tom Adams, Prop. - 620 Lakeshore - sale
of equipment. This ad confirms the "horsehoe shaped bar" or counter as
being the 1st item listed within "Double horseshoe counter, 54 feet long with
built in cabinets and pie case."
1949-1959,Apr- Sat empty
There was plans for a lumber shop but the owners of the building abandoned
the idea because of health problems - it is said.
The above photo of 1953 showed part of this building to the very left and in the
photo it looks as if the windows are covered from the inside to obscure the view
of the inside. To the north were the Lakeview Tavern and then the Lake Shore Bowling
Apr. 1959 -May 1999 - Hansen's Home Improvement Service / Hansen's Bait and Sportsmanís
Shop /Hansen's Snack Bar - Winfred 'Win' & Clara (White) Hansen
Ads seemed to use a variant of names through the years
Clara cooked in the back of the store for her family and the customers was soon
suggested that she make enough that could have some also. Thus they expanded
into the restaurant business
1959 - Apr. 22 - Hansen's Home Improvement Service
New Culver Merchants Are Welcomed
||Mr. and Mrs. Win Hansen. Proprietors of Hansen's Home Improvement
Hansen's Store Fine Addition to Community
After having been vacant for nearly 12 years, one of Culver's most desirable and spacious
locations at 614 Lake Sore Drive, across from the Town Park, is now occupied by Hansen's
Home Improvement Service
Although the new store opens it doors today, another month will be requires to complete
its stock of merchandise preparatory to holding an appropriate grand opening.
The new Culver retail establishment is operated by Win Hansen and his wife, Clara, both
natives of Plymouth, who will move here from that city in due course.
Building Supplies and Hardware
Hansen's Home Improvement Service will specialize in a general line of building
supplies and hardware, including window glass and screen. Also featured will be
paint, wallpaper and floor and ceiling tile.
Area sportsmen, who have missed a Culver source of supply since both the
Outdoorsman and the Trailsman went out of business, will be happy to learn that
the new Hansen store will carry a full line of fishing equipment and live
Formerly in Lumber Business
Win Hansen helped his brother, Jim, start the Hansen Plumouth Lumber Company in
the county seat four years ago. Accordingly, he is thoroughly familiar with the
type of business he has started here.
The Hansens are members of the Church of the Brethern at Plymouth. They have three
children: Pat a daughter of 16; a member of the Order of Rainbow for Girls; Mike,
11; and Pete 5.
The new Culver retail est[ablishment}...
...a member of the V.F.W. and for the past several years has belonged to the
Plymout fire departmen.
The Culver Citizen on behalf of its readers welcomes the Hansen family to our
community and extends it best wishes for the success of their new store.
NOTE: as written actually not printed was parts of the paragraphs.
1960 - Nov. 30 - Ad on that date carried the name of "Hansen's Hardware &
1961 - Jan. 1 - Ad on that date "Hansen's" - Live bait & Tackle, sporting goods,
Snack Bar 6 a.m. 'til ?
|This is was taken of Clara & Win in the 1960's.
It is interesting to note the partial log facade and also probably
what was a "neon light" advertising Meadow Gold
ice cream which was very popular during that era.
||This is was taken of Clara & Win in the in the spring of 1978 since there
is no visible snow - We know that the
ceased publication on 29 Dec. 1976 and that in January 1978 Arlene Nix who had been
with the paper previously secured office space at Hansens Resturant and Sport Shop
on Lakeshore Drive.|
When Win died in 1998 the sporting goods and hardware business and the sales of
bait and fishing and hunting licenses was slowly phased out leaving the the
restaurant as the sole business.
1998-2008 Hansen's Resturant or Clara's Restaurant
The west wall during these years were lined with coffee mugs, pitures of
Culver ís past, awards and articles about the business and Clara herself.
Also a water color painting of the place by well-known local artist Barbara Meeker,
which was given to Clara as a Christmas gift in 1992; and a painting by the late,
former Culver fire chief Dave Burns the summer of 1983 station masterís home,that
sat on the hill across the street in fromt of the depot.
In 2000 another item was added a 1962 check she had written out to NIPSCO and was
found during the demoliton of the building it had itself in the drop box
|May 1999 - 2009 - Clara's Restaurant - Clara E. Hansen
Clara closed her doors
sometime in 2008 by her daughter Peg - and just in the spring of 2009 put the
building up for sale.
||2008 - 10 Jun 2011 - Vacant Owner
Clara E. Hansen
and sometime between the period of closing the doors and selling the building
she had a "tag sale" to sell the contents of the building.
||2011 Jun 10 - Vacant - Diane L. Hansen |
|Extensive remodeling has been occuring since 2012 - Electrical
upgrading, a 20 by 30 additon; replacing the floor, roof, and a major change
to the facade.
||2014 - Remodeling mostly complete - but one still sees the scofolding in
the doorway. |
| And there is a big poster in the window - FOR SALE or LEASE 2,400 SF
2017, Mar - Bourbon St. Pizza - Property owner Diane L Hansen
|2017, Mar - Under Construction
Bourbon Street Pizza Inc. - Bourbon, Indiana - Founder Tim Hartman -
TONER ADD W 30' E 110' ETC OLOT 5
1945 , Dec 12 Bertha E. Hayes to Walter F. & Louise C. Ristow etc., west 60 feet of east 110 feet of outlot 5 Toners