618 Lake Shore Dr.
||Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey|
|Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
||1872 - Section. 16
Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
T. Houghton 90A.
J. HOughton Acreage not stated
J ___ name illegible 4A
G. A. Durr 10A
Lot no name no acreage stated
G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]
|1876 - J. Castleman - 190A
1876 Section 16
||1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
I N Morris 185.34
B. W. Watt 15.50A
LakeView Club 15A
J Duddleson 109.31A
Tho. Houghton 90A.
J. E. Houghton 19.60A
E Parker 27 A
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d
ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
189_ - 189_ Nussbaum & Mayer
From the April Town Board minutes - April 1896
Be it also futhere rememberd that on motion which was duly seconded and carried it was ordered to
serve a notice on Nussbaum & Mayer for the construction of a side walk along the south end of the
lot owned by the saind Nussbaum & Mayer in out lot No 5 Culver City, (formerly Marmont) Indiana
|1898 - Section 16
L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
T. Houghton 89A
E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
J. J. Bryant
Incorporated Limits of Culver
||1900 - Evermans' Biological Survey|
|1908 - Appears to be empty lot
|1922 - Dry Goods
||1924 - The Sanborn Fire map shows the was possibly divided down into two store
fors as it is labeled as 'S' & 'S' and with a dahed line drawn down the middle |
1936 - Lakeview Tavern - Opened 1936 by Jack Taylor
1936 - June 24 - Applies for License Jack Taylor has files an application for a beer license and
plans to open a tavern in the Hayes building opposite the depot. He will continue to operate
the public launch on the lake and his furniture repair business
1936 - Jul 29 - New Tavern To open - Jack Taylor, proprietor of the Lakeview Tavern, announces the
formal opening of the new business for Frdiay evening, Jul. 31.
1938 - Aug. 3 - Taylor Tavern Closes - Jack Taylor has closed his tavern in the Hayes building
opposite the dept. His state license had expired and Mr. Taylor decided the business did not
justify a renewal. He will probably resume his furniture repair busniess
|| 618 Lakeshore Dr. - Restaurant|
In 1924 no street/postal numbers were assigned on the Sanborn Map but on the 1937
map the street/postal numbers appeared. Many still did not use the street/postal numbers in
their advertising etc. untill the late 1950's they hung on to the reference in relation of location
from the depot.
193_-1945 - Hawkins Tavern
1937 - Dec 1 - Mrs. Lottie Marshall takes over management of Hawkins Tavern
1938 - May 25 - Free beer delivery in case lots at 1:00 p.m. daily Hawkins Tavern, phone 259
1944 - Charlotte Hawkins Marshall Duddleson to Elza H. Hawkins 25 ft in width off east side
OL 5 in Toners add to Culver
Charles M. Kimmel gd. to Elza H. Hawkins, same. - 19 Aug 1944
1945 - Mar 28 - Delbert Jordan has purchased the Hawkins Tavern from Mrs. Lottie Duddleson.
1945, Mar-1954, Jan - Lakeview Tavern -
1946 - Nov. 20 - Buys Lake View Tavern- Edward W. Harness completed the transaction Monday
whereby he purchased the Lake View Tavern of Paul E. Topper, who is moving to Arizona. Mr.
Harness, who is avar veteran and a member of the V.F.W. has lived here for several years.
1946 - Walter F. and Louise C Ristow to Roy E and Georgia G. Hanson, west 30 feet of east 80 feet of
outlot 5, Toner's addition, Culver.
1949 - Dec 21 - Lakeview Tavern - Mr. & Mrs. Frank. C Noonan - CItizen
1951 - Aug. 1 - Lake Shore Business Firm Remodels Establishment
Extensive interior remodeling at the Lake View Taver has been recently completed by Mr. and Mrs. "Deb"
Jordan who purchased the business from Frank Noonan some time ago.
The kitchen quarters have been modernized and food is now prepared in a more concenient location
with modernized equipment.
Among other remodeling features is the installation of a more commodius refrigeration unit. The
larfe refrigerator unit was aadded to effect better service. - Citizen
||The photo of 1953 show the view of the Lake View Tavern|
The Lakeview is the building with th 7up sign board.
1954 - Jan 13 - Legal Notice of Public hearing... 1 P.M. on the 10th day of February, 1954 at
the council Chamber, City Hall in the ciyt of Plymouth...
Donald J. and Ruth C. McCambridge, 31122 (transfer beer and wine retailers from Delbert and
Jennie E. Jordon, 620 Lake Shore Drive, Culver, Indiana)... - CItizen
1954, Jan-1954, Dec - Lake View Tavern - Ruth and Don McCambridge
Our Town Board Votes to Retain Bar on Hard Liquor by the Drink
Monday night our Town Board - Donald B. Hand, Harvey E. Guynn, and Judd P. Stinchcomb - by a
unanimous 3 to 0 vote denied the application of Ruth and Don McCambridge to sell had liquor
(meaning whiskey and similar concoctions) by the drink in their Lakeview Tavern at 618 Lake Shore Drive.
Mr. and Mrs McCambridge currently have a beer and wine license and have a fine reputation for
the conduct of their establishment.
The Culver Citizen has no quarrel whatsoever with the decision of our Town Boar. All things considered, it was
probably a wise one.
This newspaper now believes, in view of this decisio, that no person or persons have a ghost of a chance to
obrain a so-calle three-way license within the corporation limits of CUlver until there is a change in the
complextion of the Town Board. The terms of all three members run until Dec. 31, 1955...
The Citizen does, however, seriously question the manner in which the hearing was held.
After the Monday evening meeting someone remarked that the Town Board played to a "packed house". We
checked on this accusation with some surprising results. The oppnents of the application, tipped off wiell in
advance, were out in full force. They let go with their full ammunition - effectively and rarther concicinhly. The
McCambridges did not learn that their application was to be considered until almost the time of the Town Board
meeting. Due to this surprise maneuver not a single supporter was on hand to speak in their behalf.
Frankly, we do not believe that the Town Board was influenxe in the slightest degree by all the oratory... We
fell sure that they had all but cast their formal balots days before...
The point we are trying to make is this: In view of all the rumors that have been in circulation for months and
months regarding the future licensing policy of the Town Board we believe that both the prohibitionists and the
linerals were entitled to ample advance notice of a session of the Town Board of such genuine importance. We
further believe that the Citizen should have been permitted to have publishied a andvance news story of what
was scheduled to happen on the night of May 3, 1954. - - May 5 1954
1954 - Dec 22 - Lakeview Tavern Bought by Bob and Katie May
The Lakeview Restaurant-Tavern at 618 Lake Shore Drive, across from the City Park, will change ownership and
management Thursday morning when Mr. and Mrs. Robert May take over both the business and the building from
Don and Ruth McCambridge
Bob and Katie May are popular natives of the community and will attract a wide patronage from their large
circle of friends
The McCambridges will leave for California immeditely for a two month's vacation. Mrs. McCambridge has not been
in hood health
Bob May has recently been employed at the Studebaker Corp. in South Bend.
1955 - Jan 12 - Legal Notice of Public hearing... 1 P.M. on the 26th day of January, 1956 at
the council Chamber, City Hall in the ciyt of Plymouth...
Robert E. and Kathryn I. Mary , 45454 (transfer beer and wine retailers from Donald J. and Ruth C.
McCambridge, 620 Lake Shore Drive, Culver, Indiana)...
1954, Dec-1995   Lakeview Tavern - 'Bob'
'Katie' Kathyrn I
1963 - jan. 22- Three-Way Liquor permits Granred 2 Local restaurants
The Marshall County Alcoholic Beverage Board granted three-way retailers permits last Thursday,Jan. 16,
to two Culver restaurants, the E l Ray Restaurant and the Lake View Restaurant. Both establishments
heretofore had only two-way permits. The Culver votes were 3-0. Ted Hayes representing the State
announced the Board's decision at 10:30 a.m. after an hour and a half debate.
Representing the El Ray Restaurant were Dick Kreighbaum and Bernard Scheetz and Kathryn and
Robert May represented the Lake View Restaurant.
A delegation of Culver citizens headed by Dr. Ronald C. Williams appeared as remonslrators against the
three-way permits. Speakers for the remonstrance included: Mrs. Ruth MacQuillan, president of Union
township Council of Churches; the Rev. Walter S. Chisholm on behalf of the Culver Ministerial
Association: Sanford C. Snyder, an insurance agent; Mrs. Guy Davis, homemaker; and Theodore L.
Ervin, president of the Culver Town Board.
Mr. Hayes said in granting the permits " I feel that every effort will be made by these gentlemen to
conduct their businesses in a lawf ul manner. As to the validity , we can only assume that it, is legal.
A suit had been filed by Dr. Williams to test the validity of Culver town ordinance No. 177
1964 - May 15 - The Lake View Tavern, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Robert May of 603 School Street, has a new store front.
The front, which covers the full one story building, is of molded stone blocks, which have the appearance of Indiana Limestone
blocks used in stone house veneer. Laid in attractive design, the front adds considerably to the appearance of the building
? - 16 Dec. 1999 - Lakeview Tavern - Thomas Arnett Harry Huddle & Karen Hughes
16 Dec. 1999 - 18 Jun 2003 - Lakeview Lodge - 'Larry' Lorenzo & Joette Surris
TONERS ADD W 30' E 80' OLOT 5
18 Jun 2003 - Lakeview Lodge -Ralph W. Braun
They have remodeled the front to match the Edgwater and it seems that name 'Lakeview Lodge'
does not appear on the building at all and longer; but if one looks into the window it is listed up
on the west wall.
This is now has been absorbed in as a part of
620 Lake Shore Dr.
TONERS ADD W 30' E 80' OLOT 5 LEGAL DESC: COMBW/469&470 WEST 30 OF EAST 80 OL 5 IN A D TONERS ADD