624 Lake Shore Dr.
||Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey|
|Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
||1872 - Section. 16
Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
T. Houghton 90A.
J. HOughton Acreage not stated
J ___ name illegible 4A
G. A. Durr 10A
Lot no name no acreage stated
G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]
|1876 - J. Castleman - 190A
1876 Section 16
||1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
I N Morris 185.34
B. W. Watt 15.50A
LakeView Club 15A
J Duddleson 109.31A
Tho. Houghton 90A.
J. E. Houghton 19.60A
E Parker 27 A
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d
ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
|The Colonade Hotel a. 8 May 1981
(formerly refered to as "the railroad resturant" which became the
Ohmer Housec. 12 June 1886) which burnt on
27 April 1900; as pictured in this photo would of sat off to the left, and would of probably occupied
the area from Bennett's to possibly
|1898 - Section 16
L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
T. Houghton 89A
E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
J. J. Bryant
Incorporated Limits of Culver
||1900 - Evermans' Biological Survey|
1904, Jun 8 - The Colonade lot, now owned by T. E. Slattery, is occupied by a promiscuous lot
of tents such as lunch. lemonade and peanut, also a barber shop.
||1908 Appears to be a empty lot |
||1922 - "Misc" |
||1924 - "S" |
1920's-1931 - Hayes Building
and burned 1931
|1937 - Vacant lot
|| 000 Lakeshore Dr. |
In 1924 no street/postal numbers were assigned on the Sanborn Map but on the 1937
map the street/postal numbers appeared. Many still did not use the street/postal numbers in
their advertising etc. untill the late 1950's they hung on to the reference in relation of location
from the depot.
|1937 - Vacant lot
1946 - Jun 12 - Marshall Buys Former Slattery Property
James Marshall has purchased the property owned by the Slattery estate oppostie the town park
on Lake Shore Drive.
The lots extend from the Coffee Shop to the Shively Apartments and from Lake Shore Drive
to Pearl Street.
No Change in present tenants is contemplated.
As soon as possible a building is to be erected next to the Shively Shop to house the General
Sheet Metal Works operated by "Red" Seese.
A Parking lot will be built in the vacant area which once housed a restaurant and dance hall.
They were destroyed by fire
several years ago.
By the above 1946-1953 a parking lot.
1953-2007 - Driveway between 630 & 624 property
The business building was built on the very north edge of the lot to give access to parking in the back
of the building and probably at the side. This makes it look like it has an alley between the two business
but it is not - over the years it has been used as an alley to access the east-west alley and the alley from
Pearl Street to the east-west alley.
|1953 - Newly erected building
1953-1955 - Frosty Cream - Don and Jean Liniger
Don Liniger was alao a proprietor of the Cloverleaf Dairy.
Donald "Don" Grothaus and Don Liniger purchased the Cloverleaf Dairy in 1950
and operated it for four years - 23 Aug 1961 Citizen.
1953 - May 27 - New Buisness Opens
The newly established soft drink and refreshement center opened last week
Mr. and Mrs. Don Liniger are the proprietors of the business to be known as "Don and
Jean's Crostie Cream"
The business is situated in a newly erected building across from the Park.
1955 - Mar 30 - Don and Jena Liniger Annouce opening of Their Frosty Cream
Beginning this Friday night Don and Jean's Frosty cream across from the Town Park, will be
The ice cream and food establishment will go on a daily day and night schedule about the
middle of May
Mr. and Mrs. Don Liniger started the business three years ago but last year leased it to
Don't overlook their valuable free coupons in this issue.
1955 - Nov. 9 - Public Sale - As we are going to Arizona to make our home, will sell at my
residence, 314 College St. Culver, Indiana... Don Liniger...
1956-1957 Frosty Cream - Mr & Mrs Ed Carpenter / Owner Robert L. Haig
1957-1958 - Frosty Cream - Robert L Haig
Leases to an operator
Bob Haig Enlarges His Refreshmen Stad
Bod Haig's Frosty Creme refreshment establishment across from the Town Park has been enlarged
monre than twice its original size.
A Rochester-brand root beer barrell is featured in the new set-up.
As will be noted elsewhere in today's citizen the coupon in their ad is good for a free 16-ounce
frosted schooner of root beer both Thursday and Friday. Children up to 6, when accompanied
by their parents, are served free root beer every day. - 15 May 1957
Profitable Business For Sale - Frosty Cream and Root Beer Drive-In across from Culver Town
Park. Good money maker. Ideal for man and wife team. Other business interests reason for selling at
bargain. WIll consider land contract deal. Bob Haig. Culver Clothiers. VIing 2-2671.
1958 - Frosty Cream - Howard Porcher / Owner Robert L. Haig
Argos Inebriate Gives Culver A Very bad Time...
had allegedly threathed to kill: 1. Howard Porcher, operayor of the Frosty Creme refreshment
stand on Lake Shore Drove across from the Town Park...
Annoyed By Ice Cream
Patton, allegedly loaded with liquid dynamite before he entered the Lake View Tavern, staggered
into the Frosty Creme emporium, forerly owened by merchant Robert L. Haig, and demanded -
of all things - a dish of vanilla ice cream. He quickly charged in four-letter words that the ice cream
was too soft for his sensitive palate. Forsooth Mr. Porcher began offering the alleged inebriate a cup
Patton utterly devoid of table manners, then (alledgedly) told Porcher that he was going to stab
him with a fork. Porcher noting that the fork was not coming his way in the accustomed Emily Post
manner, got a bit panicky and summoned Grothaus and the day town marshall, Don Mikesell...
1959 - 1960 - Frosty Creme - /Owner Bert R Ivey
Bert R. Ivey Began Coming Here As A Summer Resident in 1904
Bert R. Ivey has been in love with Culver and Lake Maxinkuckee since he began coming
here as a boy in 1904.
He is now a permanent resident at
2220 East Shore Drive, although he spends the winter months in both Florida and
California. He confides that just recently he was able to get the Los Angles smog out of his system.
Among many business interests Bert is the owner of the Frosty Creme refreshment
establishment across from the Town Park . - 13 May 1959 - Citizen
1959, Dec. 23 - Bert R. Ivey had sold the Frosty Creme to Mr. Lutie (Lute) of Reynolds, Ind.
1960-1962 - Frosty Creme - Mr. Henry W & Peg Lutes
||Apr. 29, 1964 ad announcing Grand opening.|
|1964 -1966- Chatterbox Drive In
there is an ad for the tiny beauty shop on 2 dec. 1965 says they reloacted to the Shively
Trailer Court rear of Chatter Box.
1970's - A surf - beach buisness???
||1974 - May 5 - Hair Kare Salon - May Sims - Announcement of now open|
1985 - Jun 1994 - Hair Kare Salon - Sandra J. Rippy
Jun 1994 - Dec 1998 - Hair Kare Salon - Sandra J. Bradley
Dec 1998 - 4 Mar 1999 - Hair Kare Salon - Sandra J. Rippy
4 Mar 1999- 15 Jul 2005 - Hair Kare Salon - Gerald H. & Carol S. (Arndt) Joyner
15 Jul 2005 Sanim Properties LLC
Milady Salon - 624 Lake Shore Dr Culver
||2000 sat empty|
||2010 - Brockey's Insurance - July 1 2008 - 201? Larry Brockey Jr.
they moved here from their uptown postion at
103 S. Main st. where they orginially started in business at
TONER ADD EX OLOT 6
PRT OL #6 A D TONERS ADD COM AT SW COR OL#6 TH N64-34-08E 49.13 TO POB
TH CONT N64-54-08E 50.80 TH N25-30-04W 126.33 TH S65-24-58W 40.41 TH S0W 19 TH S24-19-40E 108.10 TO POB