630 Lake Shore Dr.
A view we will no longer see of Lakeshore dr. as of December 19, 2014
||Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey|
|Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
||1872 - Section. 16
Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
T. Houghton 90A.
J. HOughton Acreage not stated
J ___ name illegible 4A
G. A. Durr 10A
Lot no name no acreage stated
G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]
|1876 - J. Castleman - 190A
1876 Section 16
||1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
I N Morris 185.34
B. W. Watt 15.50A
LakeView Club 15A
J Duddleson 109.31A
Tho. Houghton 90A.
J. E. Houghton 19.60A
E Parker 27 A
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d
ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
|The Colonade Hotel a. 8 May 1981
(formerly refered to as "the railroad resturant" which became the
Ohmer Housec. 12 June 1886) which burnt on
27 April 1900; as pictured in this photo would of sat off to the left, and would of probably occupied
the area from Bennett's to possibly
|1898 - Section 16
L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
T. Houghton 89A
E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
J. J. Bryant
Incorporated Limits of Culver
||1900 - Evermans' Biological Survey|
||1908 1908 - Lot 6 - Appears to be empty, it is triangled shaped /
||1922 - one can see that there was some type of store on the lot
1921 An established Grocery business - the 1931
|| - 1924-1937 - "S"; the shape of the building is much different than the one the
was demolished on 19 December 2014 lending credence to the statement made below
"Dick Louden opens new store, rebuilt after other structure was destroyed by fire"
1922 Dec 13 - Ed. and Elizabeth Cooper have traded their grocery store near the depot
and their house lot near the Academy to A. L. Biddinger for 80 acres, including stock and
machinery near Leiters Ford.
1924 - Jan 16 - A. L. Biddinger Sells Out
George Spangler has
bought the grocery store near the depot which has been managed by A. L. Biddinger
Mr. Spangler has taken possession and is making some improvements on the interior
Mr. Spangler is no neopohyte in the grocery business as he once operate a store in
He has been operating a taxi line from the
Indiana House from some time.
Mr Biddinger has made no befinite plans for the future by it is quite probable that he will
remain in Culver
1924 - Mar 5 - Improves Store - George Spangler, who recently purchased the grocery
across from the depor, has made many changes to the interior of the store besides
adding a large refgerator. Mr. Spangler contemplates building a double deck back proch on
the Indiana house this spring.
1925 - Jan 21 - Another Grocery Store Has Changed Hands
A deal was completed yesterday whereby T. G. Louden became the owner of Spangler
Gorcery across from the depot
Mr. Louden has taken charge and business is being transacted. This makes the fourth
grocery to change hans during the past two weeks.
Mr. Louden has lived here a number of years and has many friends who wish him much
He just recently sold his large passenger boats; one to Ed Boberg and the other to
Russell McFarland. Mr. Louden has operated boats on the lake for the past eighteen
years during the tourist season.
Goerge Spangler, retiring groceryman, has not defintely decided what he will do. He
has been here for many years and his many friebds will hope that he stays in this
1931 - Dec 9 -
$7,000 Fire Threatens Block
The building occupied by the Louden Grocery of which T. G. Louden is the
proprietor, is owned by George Spangler, who is covered by $700 incurance. Mr. Louden
estimates his loss on the contents at between $1,000 a nd $1,2000. He had $900 insurance .
The slight damage to the
Simpson resturant building which is next to Louden's, is placed at about $50 and is
covered by insurance. This building is owned by Ezra Hawkins....
1932 - Jan 20 Plans New Store Building - Work was started Monday morning on a new store
building by Dick Louden, whose grocery store was destroyed by fire recently. He is building on
the site of his former store.
|| 626 Lakeshore Dr. - "S" - Note during the 1960's-2014 this was a triangle vacant lot -
mystery - now is what store name was there and when was the buiilding demolished?|
628 Lakeshore Dr. - "S" Tile
In 1924 no street/postal numbers were assigned on the Sanborn Map but on the 1937
map the street/postal numbers appeared. Many still did not use the street/postal numbers in
their advertising etc. untill the late 1950's they hung on to the reference in relation of location
from the depot.
1944 - AUGUST 2 — Loudon's Grocery, located opposite the depot, has been sold by Dick
Loudon to Arthur Schweidler. Mr. Loudon has been operating the business for 20 years.
1945 - Jun 12 - Marshall Buys Former Slattery Property
James Marshall has purchased the property owned by the Slattery estate oppostie the town park
on Lake Shore Drive.
The lots extend from the Cofrre Shop. to the Shively Apartments and from Lake Shore Drive
to Pearl Street.
No Change in present tenants is contemplated.
As soon as possible a building is to be erected next to the Shively Shop to house the General
Sheet Metal Works operated by "Red" Seese.
A Parking lot will be built in the vacant area which once housed a restaurant and dance hall.
They were destroyed by fire
several years ago.
1952 - June 11 – Art Schweidler Sells Grocery to H. F. Holmes
The transfer of ownership of the Lakeside Grocery was announced this week by
Schweidler, who has sold store to Harlan F. Holmes
The new owners tool over operstion of the business on Saturday
Mr. and Mrs. Holmes come to Culver from Tampa, FLordia, where they have resided for the
past five years.
Members of the Methodust Church, thery formerly lived in notrthern Indiana, and Mr. Holmes
attened Purdue University. The had rented the Steffen Rector home on Lake Shore Drive.
Mr. and Mrs. Schweidler have operated the Lakeside Grocery for the past eight years.
Art's plans for the future were unannounced.
|1953 - Lakeside Grocery
1953-1954,May - Russell and Helen Post - Managed
1952, Jun-? - Harlan F. Holmes
1954, May - 1969, Apr - LakeSide Grocery Store - Pete & Pearl Onesti
1954 - 5 May - Lakeside Grocery Changes Hands
of Chicago has purchased the Lakeside Grocery and is assuming proprietorship today
Mr. Onesti who is the son-in-law of Mrs. Lewis Harmke of Culver, has had som previoud
retail selling experinece and has also worked as an engineer in industrial work in Chicago.
He and his wife have owned and perated a gift shop in Chicago for the past 11 years.
They have a a 14 year old daughter who is a freshman in high school. Mrs. Onesti and daughter
will remainin Chicago until the school year closes
Russell and Helen Post, who have operated the grocery for the past year, state that their plans
are indefinite. They hope to enjjoy a long vacation after which the will probably live in Califotnia
1969 - Apr. 13 - 'Pete' died on a Sunday - collapsing in the store
Dad (Alvin R. McKee), Mom (Reba D. (Emery) McKee, Me and my mother's sister (Norma N. Emery) were all
sitting down to the noon meal when the firen siren went off the fire department at that time had the only
resucitating equipment avaiable & cpr training. Upon learning what it was we all went down. Pete was
laying just inside the door in front of the check out counter. Mom and her sister had the day off from the
hospital but we all ended up there any way - Dad went back to the house and got the car and we her
took Pearl to the hospital behind Jim Bonine's ambulance and stayed with her bring her back to Culver.
|Brick in Heritage Park
||for years an Indiana Bell telephone booth sat on the grassey west lot which was V-shaped
the store building had been built on the east lot which was an angled rectangled lot of sorts.|
The telephone booth was there in the late 1970's and just when it disaapeared from the scene is unknown.
||1969, Apr - 1975 - Pete's Lakeside Grocery - Pearl Onesti, owner|
Ending a 23-year tradition - Pearl Onesti closes the door on Pete's Lakeside Grocery for the last time after selling the long-time
Lake Maxinkuckee establishment to Leonard and Jane Crump, 431 Forest Place.
Mrs. Onesti, who continues to run the Lakeside Coffee Shop next door, is the wife of the late Pete Onesti, who operated the
grocery on Lake Shore Drive, since May, 1953.
The Crumps will continue to keep the business a grocery and will offer a variety of food items.
Also to be included in the store will be Gaye's AA Communications, owned and operated by their daughter, Gayne Tholen,
Lakeview St. Gaye will move the business from its present location in Knox to the Culver store, which is to be renamed
Crump's Lakeside Grocery.
Mrs. Onesti wishes to thank all of her customers at the grocery for their gracious patronage and business.
1975 - Oct - ? Crump's Lakeside Grocery - Leonard and Jane Crump
Gayne's AA Communications, - Gayne Tholen
1970s-.Late-198_ - Binkley Real Estate - Richard D. & June Binkley
Operated with the grocery - their daughter moved the business from Knox
1979 - Back Door Boutique - June Binkley - Moved downtown to
106 N. Main
1983 - The Arccade -
Nov. 1985 - Nov 1996 - Cactus Charlies - Charles & Pat Harner
||Nov 1996 - Sep. 2006 - Renfrows Rock n Roll Cafe -
Donna Renfrow Sanim Properties LLC |
|Sep. 2006 - 2014, Oct - Empty - Sanim Properties LLC
Had a sign on it earlier in 2009 and it is rumored that another bike shop is coming to
town and will be located here.
||Jul 2009 - Rideon Bike Rentals -
Chris Chambers - property owner, - Sanim Properties LLC |
2014, - Oct. - Vacant - Lakehouse Grille / Six Twenty Lakeshore LLC
|What the future holds for this lot is to be seen but if goes as before it will be absorbed into the lots/percel
to the west and will no longer exist and all will become one big hugh "super parcel" on Lakeshore Dr.
|the scene on site on 20 December 2014 on Lakeshore Dr. ... another old building gone...
one can see construction occuring in the background at
620 Lakeshore, the Lakehouse Grille
This is now has been absorbed in as a part of
620 Lake Shore Dr.
TONER AD OLOT 6 N LN 29' E SW COR
TONER ADD OLOT 6 SW COR N 70-3 SELY