814 East Shore Dr. - Vonnegut House
||Section 22 - ? acres
Section 22 Lot 1 - 37.70A; 40
Section: 22 Lot 2 - 45.45A
Section 22 Lot 3 - 32.00A
Section 22 Lot 4 - 35.70A
||1872 Plat Map Section 22
"Lot 1 - 37.32 - G. Peeples"
Lot 2 - 45.45A S & J. W Rector
Lot 3 32A - S. Rctor
S & J W Rector - 40A
A Smith - 80A
3.90A - A W B
.97? - D J
159A - J. C. Miles a part in Sec. 23-
A Bartholomew 35.70A
|1876 Plat Map Section 22
J C Miles - 158A
"G. Peoples 37 "
||1880 Plat Map Section 22
Platted cottage lots
"G. Peeples 35.5A"
Rector & Thomas 85A & 32A
H. B. Scott 34.50A
|the 1880 map listed as George Peeples as onwing 35.5A
and 16.90A thus he had sold off 1.5 acres beween 1876 and 1880
1889, Jun Clemens Jr
. & Emma (Schnull)
Clement paid $1200.00 recorded in Deed Book 42 to Clemens Vonnegut Jr. from George Peeples and
Catherine E. Peeples and the home was built about 1889/1890.
One says Henry Schnaull was owner of the property but all plat maps show that C. or Clements Vonnegut as the owner
The only thread of truth in this is this statement:
The Schnull daughters - were established on the east side of the lake by their - father, as quoted by "Catey" Catherine Matilda
...a relative, great-grandfather, Henry Schnull had established his three daughters - Emma, Nannie, and Julia, in cottages on the
East Shore which became famous for their tennis court about 1904. One of these, called "Hilarity Hill", is where eleven little
Vonnegut - Mueller - Schnull cousins grew-up
Emma Schnull married Clemens Vonnegut
Nanette Schnull married Bernard Vonnegut
Julia W. Schnull married George J. Mueller
|1898 - Shows C. Vonnegut as owner of this parcel and that George Peoples still
owning considerable acreage and one lake lot in between P. O. Vonnegut and C. Vonnegut
|1908 - Section 22 & The Peoples & Vonnegut area.
1952-61 William Kerfoot
and the family of W. K.
1979 Mrs. Jean Ward Woolett Property
1981-3 Donald & Kay Muehlhausen
He was CEO of the family company which manufactured springs and Kay was an EMT during
the late 1970's and early 1980's with Culver -Union Township Ambulance Serivce.
||The property was subdived into to lots Muehlhausen Minor Sub Lot 1 to the north
and Muehlhausen Minor Sub Lot 1 which is
818 E. Shore|
Mar. 1985 -1996, Mar. - C. Nicholas & Judith L. Renneker
1999, Dec. - Jul - 2005 Ralph C. Vonnegut, Jr.
2005 , Jul. - Ralph C. Vonnegut, Jr. - Trustee
2005 , Jul. - 2102, Mar - David Gabovitch
Historic Vonnegut cottage on Lake Maxinkuckee saved from demolition
Story Lee Sandweiss
Herald-Times, (Bloomington, IN), Jun 11, 2016
...The Great Depression jumpstarted the dispersal. In the decades that followed, the Vonneguts began selling off their
Lake Max property, and Kurt Jr.'s visits to the lake dwindled. He returned after World War II with his first wife Jane Cox,
and the couple spent their honeymoon at his grandfather's former cottage as the guests of the new owner. His last visit
was in 1994, when he visited his cousin Ralph Vonnegut, who then owned and lived in 814.
After Ralph's death in 2005, his heirs attempted to maintain 814, but in 2012 the house was sold to a developer, who
intended to demolish it.
"The bulldozers were basically moving into position. This really was an eleventh-hour save," ...
Unfortunately, the house was in much worse condition than the partners imagined. Any plans to do a cosmetic makeover
had to be scrapped. Years of neglect had taken their toll in the form of rot, structural damage, animal droppings, and
dysfunctional systems and insulation that had to be completely replaced. Another disappointing discovery was that many
of the home's original features--door knobs, plumbing, woodwork--had been stripped by salvagers in anticipation of its
The project was slow-going and expensive, but the rehabbers were committed to doing things the right way--not the
easiest way. Today, the original part of the house remains almost exactly as it was in the 1920s--a summer cottage, with no
air conditioning or furnace. Restored with evidence of its age deliberately preserved in such details as the weathered paint
on the front porch, the house is furnished with period antiques and vintage Lake Maxinkuckee memorabilia. Kurt Vonnegut
Jr.'s novels line the bookshelves in several rooms. The 1980's addition, which previously appeared to be tacked on, now
reveals more of the older part of the house--for example, the original house's roofline was intentionally left visible inside
of the renovated master bedroom. The addition also features 21st -century comforts such as geothermal climate control,
a modern kitchen and updated bathrooms, rendering it comfortable year-round...
2012, Mar.-2013, May - Vonnegut Family Partnership LLC
2012, Apr -2013, Jun. - Construction Management & Design, Inc.
The house was being dismantled and stripped of its useable item when Horatio stepped in
and saved it from total destruction; he bought it to restore it and rent it out original plans
were to have it available for rent on July1st.
||Renovating Vonnegut by Sarah Handyside - Tells of the early stages of the renovation
project the pitfalls the unexpected events that occurred while Sarah and her boyfriend Garth
were a part of the project. |
It is a delightful written book full of adventure of renovation and other information.
She also had a blog with some articles and pictures on it detailing their
time at the Vonnegut house it but has disappeared.
2013, Jun - Old East Shore LLC (The
MUELHAUSEN LOT 1 MINOR SUB S4'
MUEHLHAUSEN MINOR SUB LOT 1