Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Hervey Bates Jr/II (1834 - 1929)  



... Hervey Bates, the second of the name to have lived in Indianapolis, was born in this city in 1834. He inherited many of the characteristics that made his father a man of note. He grew up in Indianapolis and it has always been his home. For many years he was connected with one of the first wholesale grocery houses and was also an active banker. He was one of the originators of the American Hominy Company. Of late years he has been retired and has attained the age of eighty-three. As a matter of personal recollections he has practically witnessed every phase in the growth and development of this native city. He married Charlotte Cathcart, and they were parents of a son and a daughter.- Indiana and Indianans: a history of aboriginal and territorial Indiana and the century of statehood Chicago: American Historical Society, 1919, Dunn, Jacob Piatt, pg. 1697-8

He servied in the Civil War - 132nd Indiana Infantry in the American Civil War... Maj., Hervey Bates, Jr. This regiment was organized at Indianapolis May 17, 1864. Seven companies of the regiment were raised in Indianapolis and one each at Shelbyville, Franklin and Danville. It was mustered in May 18, and left the state at once, going to Tennessee. It was mustered out in Aug., 1864. Its total strength was 948. Loss by death, 5. - - Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3






Hervey Bates (1834 - 1929) President Indianapolis Hominy Mills
Men of Indiana in nineteen hundred and one
by Benesch, Adolph B
Published 1901 Publisher Indianapolis, Ind., Cleveland, O., The Benesch publishing company


Hervey Bates Jr/II Birth: Aug 14 1834 Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana/Franklin, Indiana Death: January 25, 1929 Pasadena, Los Angeles County, California Buried APR 30,1929 Crown Hill Cemetery Indianapolis Marion County Indiana son of Hervey Bates and Sidney Sedgwick

1929 - Jan 30 - Hervey Bates, Pioneer Cottager, Died at 97
    This community lost one of the lovers of Lake Maxinkuckee when Hevery Bates, 97,, died lastweek in Pasadena, California. - Culver Citizen

    Mr. Bates had been coming to the lake every year for a long time and only sold his two cottages about a year ago when he became to feeble to make the trip each summer.

    He was a Member of the pioneer family of Indianapolis, his father being the first sheriff of Marion county. He also owned the Bates House, which later became known as the Claypool Hote. It was from the balcomy of the Bates HOuse that President Lincoln spoke during the Civil Wa. when he was in Indianapolis

    Mr. Bates is survived by one son and one daughter. - Culver Citizen


BURY BATES TUESDAY
    Pasadena - The body of Hervey Bates. Jr A pioneer resident of Indianapolis and former owner, of the old Bates house, who died January 25 at his home In Pasadena, CaL, win be brought to Indianapolis for burial Crown Hill cemetery Tuesday.

    The body will be accompanied by Mrs. John Perrin, a daughter of Mr. Bates, and Mr. Perrin. Hervey Perrin and Hervey Bates III.

    Mr. Bates's father was the founder of the old Bates house, which was situated on the site of the present Claypool hoteL Mr. Bates went to Pasadena ten years ago to make his home. - - The Indianapolis News Date: Friday, April 26, 1929 Page: Page 34


married 28 Oct 1857 Marion county Indiana Charlotte "Lottie" T. Cathcart (1838 - 1907) was from Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Birth: April 25, 1838 Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA Death: August 10, 1907 Union twp. Marshall County, Indiana Buried Crown Hill Cemetery Indianapolis Marion County Indiana daughter of Andrew Cathcart and Ellen Weir
    To Be Buried In City
      Mrs. Charlotte Cathcart Bates’ Funeral at Her Summer Home

      The funeral of Mrs. Charlotte Cathcart Bates, wife of Major Hervey Bates, 402 N Meridian St will be held at her summer home at Lake Maxinkuckee, Tueday.

      The body will be brought to Indianapolis for burial at Crown hill cemetery.

      Both the funeral and burial will be private.

      Mrs. Bates spent her girlhood in Philadelphia, but since her marriage to Major Bates she has been constantly as resident of Indianapolis. She was married at the age of 18.

      Her father was Andrew Cathcart, a Scotchman, who came to this city to superintend the building of the railroad between Madison and Indianapolis, the first railroad in Indiana. He invented the cogwheel engine, used in climbing the hill just this side of Madison.

      Mrs. Bates was highly cultured. She was a graduate of the Miss Guilford school at Cleveland, O. While she lived in Indianapolis she was an active member of the Catherine Merrill club, and a constant student of literature. - Indianapolis Sun Monday, August 12, 1907, Indianapolis, Indiana


Children:
    1) Hervey Bates III/Jr.

    2) Ellenor Cathcart Bates Birth: October 14, 1859 Franklin, Indiana Death: April 17, 1948 Los Angeles, California Burial: Crown Hill Cemetery Indianapolis, Marion County, Indian married 3 Oct 1883 John O Perrin Birth: January 17, 1857 Franklin, Indiana, USA Death: December 1931
      Children:
      1) Hervey Bates Perrin

      2) John Bates Perrin b 16 Jan 1887; d 29 Oct 1913







Indianapolis City Directory, 1890. Indianapolis, IN: R.L. Polk and Co., 1889 & 1890.

Name: Hervey Bates
City: Indianapolis
State: IN Occupation: president
Year: 1889 & 1890
Business Name: Romona Colitic Stone Co
Location 2: Bates House

Name: Hervey Bates, Jr
Location 1: southwest corner Jeffersonville, Madison and Indianapolis Railroad R R and Palmer
City: Indianapolis
State: IN
Occupation: proprietor
Year: 1889
Business Name: Indpls Hominy
Location 2: 898 N Illinois

Name: Hervey Bates, Jr
Location 1: corner Jeffersonville, Madison and Indianapolis Railroad R R and Palmer
City: Indianapolis
State: IN Occupation: proprietor
Year: 1889 & 1890
Business Name: Indianapolis Hominy Mills

Name: Hervey Bates; Walter Kessler; M W Malott; Hervey Bates, Jr
Location 1: 15 Ingalls Block
City: Indianapolis
State: IN
Occupation: president; vice-president and mngr; secretary; treasurer
Year: 1889 & 1890
Business Name: Romona Colitic Stone Co

Name: Hervey Bates, Jr
City: Indianapolis
State: IN
Occupation: proprietor; treasurer
Year: 1890
Business Name: Indpls Hominy Mills; Romona Oolitic Stone Co
Location 2: 898 N Illinois







Bates-Martindale-Allen-Parry-McGowan House

Most historical records refere to it as the Bates-McGowan House.

Parry-McGowen House - On the Northeast corner of Delaware and 13th (formerly, Home Avenue) at 1305 N. Delaware St.

The architect was William LeBaron Jenney. The elaborate grand Romanesque chateau was conceived by Hervey Bates, Jr, and wife after a trip to the Loire Valley in France. The ultimate construction cost of the house was estimated at $80,000, in 1874. That, of course, was in addition to the thousands to purchase the 200 x 195 (R.B. and J. S. Duncan addition) lot upon which the castle was built.

(See Sources below)


A drawing that appeared in the American architect and building news. v.1, pt.1 (1876). after pag 12 as a plate - two copies found on 'babel. hathitrust. org'


1305 N. Delaware St. on the Indianapolis Sanborn Map #74, 1887
1305 N. Delaware St. on the Indianapolis Sanborn Map #212, 1898


The interior is described in detail in Hester Anne Hale’s book - Indianapolis: The First Century, (1987 Marion County-Indianapolis Historical Society) It is also described in this article "Former Bates Mansion, Now K. of C. Clubhouse, Posseses Interesting History and Unusual Design by Agnes M'Culloch Hanna - Indianapolis Star , Sunday, March 31, 1929, pg,40 Clicking on the photo will bring the article up so can be read .
This is a crop and enlargement from a drawing that appeared in the American architect and building news. v.1, pt.1 (1876). after page 12 as a plate - two copies found on 'babel. hathitrust. org'


Mrs. Bates' made skteches and from these Mr. Jenney hired men who carved the delightful ebony and hollywood panels used in the dinning room over the fireplace and sideboard. - K. of C. Clubhouse, Possess Interseting History, Unusual Design Indianapolis star Mar, 31, 1929 (also included photos); Photos from the Indiana Landmarks Wilbur D. Peat Collection, IUPUI Diigital Org.



(See Sources below)
The earliest known photos of the home show a long wood frame porch on the south side of the home and still existed when McGowan's purchased it as evidenced by the the announcement/photo of his purchase of the property.


Four families occupied the home following the Bates family, who lived there until the fall of 1880, it was sold it to Elijah B. Martindale, whose daughter married Hervey Bates, II. Mr. Martindale in turn sold it the following day to Dr. Horace R. Allen and his wife, Harriet (owned it 16 years).

It was sold in 1896 to David M. Parry and his wife; they changed the driveway from the southwest corner to north side of the home and the city’s address numbering changed this home from 679 to 1305 North Delaware Street till 1903. Some of the fireplaces were rebuilt. The smooth stone pillars were carved and the conservatory was enlarged.

House that was modeled after castle is now owned by Hugh J. M'Gowan. This beautiful home in Delaware Street was transferred to Mr. M'Gowan by D. M. Parry, the consideration being $60,000. Indianapolis News 6 June 1903


This one depicts the home without landscaping present - from the Indiana Landmarks Wilbur D. Peat Collection, IUPUI Diigital Org.


Later photos and postcards show the removed of this porch with landscaping in place .

As noted as the "Hugh McGowan residence" on these two post cards about 1908-1910. From IUPUI University Digital Library & McGowan Hall Community & Event Center


Hugh J. McGowan, interurban railway magnate, lived there until his death in 1911. Some time after 1903 the wood porch had been removed and the addition of a 'porte cochere', and it was later enclosed. As shown by here found in Indiana houses of the nineteenth century by Wilbur David Peat


1305 N Delaware St. - Indianapolis Baist Atlas Plan # 8, 1908


The widow sold it in 1919 for a fraction of its worth to the Knights of Columbus in 1919 of which Mr. McGowan had been a member.


This choice eventually led to the demolition of one of the most storied, beautiful and worthy homes in the city of Indianapolis the grand McGowan Home (aka Bates) was torn down in 1963 due to the decline and disbursement of membership accompanied by the construction of newer K of C halls in the sprawling suburbs, rising maintenance costs, and a contemporary climate placing little emphasis on historic preservation

The K of C Hugh McGowan Home, 1305 N. Delaware, Indianapolis Romanesque Revival acrylic and watercolor on paper 24"H x 34"W (sight), 31"H x 41"W by Harry A. Davis


Alterations occoured to the building over the years and all that remains standing today is an auditorium addition; construction of McGowan Hall in 1922, which joined the former McGowan home to form one of the finest fraternal clubhouses in the city.


The diagrams shows how it was attached and was postion in relation to the original house; today known as McGowan Hall Community & Event Center


Indianapolis Baist Atlas Plan # 8, 1927



Other Sources:

Historic Indianapolis


Hervey Bates Sr (1795 - 1876) ~~~ Hervey Bates Jr/II (1834 - 1929) ~~~ Hervey Bates III/Jr (1858 - 1939)







Today is