Pine Tree House
Benedict Cottage North of Aubbenaubbee Bay, near Council Fire Circle
1872 – Landmark “Pine Tree House” built by A. T. Benedict, Maxinkuckee. Benedict ran
sawmill on dammed creek running through Bigley property, ---also Grist Mill.
The quote from the Thomas Bigley Biographical sketch in speaking of Aaron Benedict is:
He also owned considerable acreage north of the lake along Aubbenaubbee Bay, 83 acres along the lake front and 200 acres thence
north. He built a home approximately a half mile from the lake and planted pine trees around it. He never lived there, but rented
it to his daughter, Augusta, and husband William WARNER and family. Later the house burned but the pine trees stand to this day;
the site is historically known as the Pine Tree House. His land holdings were later acquired by Henry H. Culver for the Culver Military Academy.
and another quip under the Wayne Flagg biographical sketch found in the same book [History of Marshall County Indiana
Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986 -,Taylor Publishing Co., 1986, Publication # 357 of 1422, Marshall County Historical Society pg 169]
that gives the location of this farmhouse is:
Wayne's maternal grandparents, William b. Warner (1846-1898) and Augusta Benedict Warner (1848-1939), ....
The William Warners owned a farm that is now part of the Culver Military Academy Campus. Wayne's mother was born on this farm.
The house was located near the pine trees where the activities of the Woodcraft Council Fires are held.