Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Forgotten Cottage Area Photos  



From the Indiana Historical Society "We Do History" Site; it is found that in 1927 the Culver Military Academy had hired the Albertype Company do a series of post cards for them of the campus and cadet activietes. Among them were these possible "Non published" photos that would represent the area I dubbed "The Forgotten Cottages"; and leaves a partial documentation of that time period.

This area spanned from the Lake view Hotel, included the Jungle (all of which was once a part of the Isaac Morris family holdings the most prominent known member Edmund Morris (boat maker and boathouse owner) - Palmer Hotel to the west property line of the "Original Campus area" of Culver Military Acacamy ; this area was gradually purchased up by the Culver Educational Foundation which was formed about this time.


Lake View Hotel

Lake View Hotel

"near academy"

"near academy"

Palmer House

Palmer House
The Albertype Company, owned by Herman L. Wittemann, published souvenir books, pamphlets, and postcards from 1890 to 1952, using a process invented by Austrian photographer Joseph Albert (1825-1886). The process using a collotype coating on glass plates permitted high speed mass production of photographs for the first time. Albertype photos also have an advantage that although the paper may yellow, the inks, unlike normal photographs, do not fade. The company would have photographs taken by its own agents and would also arrange to utilize photographs taken by others. Thus, Albertype postcards provide a valuable documentation of scenes that no longer exist.

The Albertype Co. 1887-1952
205 (260) Adams Street, Brooklyn, NY

A important printer and publisher since 1887 that utilized the albertype process. They first started printing books and then pioneer cards by 1893 going on to become a major publisher of national view-cards. Their postcards were not numbered and their name appears within the stamp box on their early cards. When the divided back postcard was authorized, the Albertype company created a line down the back of their cards with the words Post Cards of Quality and later with The Finest American Made View Post Cards. Many publishers large and small printed cards though the Albertype Co. They were purchased by Art Vue Post Card Company in 1952.

Many of their cards were printed in black & white but they also produced a tremendous number of hand colored cards. The style and quality of the way the watercolor paint was applied changed over the years but their RGB pallet remained consistent. One variation of these cards were printed as novelties in a 6 by 8 inch format.

They also printed postcards in duotones and tinted monochromes of various colors. An early type was their Sepia Delft series printed in dark high contrast tones. This was followed years later by their Blue Tone cards that were similar to their lower contrast black & white albertypes except for their color.

While most of Albertype’s postcards were based on photographs they also produced an unusual set of sepia art reproductions of line drawings.






Today is