William F. Kuhn is with his brother John A. Kuhn, associated in the firm of Kuhn Brothers, wholesale and retail dealers in meats in
Indianapolis. It i s one of the oldest lines of business in the city and had continously been in one location for upwards of half a
Both the Kuhn brothers were born at 407 West Michigan, the house where they still have their headquarters as businessmen. Their parents were Charles and Frederick (Reinert) Kuhn. Charles Kuhn who died in 1896 at the age of seventy-seven, was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, learned the trade of butcher and followed it in Hamburg, Germany, and in 1857 came to America and located in Indianapolis. For a time he was connected with the firm of Gullick & Tweet. Gullick was afterwards market master for many years. He was master of the market when the location of that institution was where the Claypool Hotel now stands. For a brief time Charles Kuhn was in Iowa, but returned to Indianapolis to commence business for himself as a meat merchant, and about that time he erected the old home where his sons now have their business headquarters. Charles Kuhn had as one of his early partners Peter Sindlinger, his son-in-law. After the death of Charles Kuhn, Mr. Sindlinger continued the business until he passed away, and that left the firm in its present form as Kuhn Brothers. The Kuhn Brothers are thus at the head of a business which was established at an early day in Indianapolis history, and many of their patrons today are children and grandchildren of those who as heads of families patronized their father. In the early days the Kuhn slaughter house was on what is now Walnut Street but was then simply known as Patterson's Field.
Charles Kuhn married in Indianapolis his wife having come from Germany with her brother Frederick, and lived in Philadelphia for a time before moving to Indianapolis. She died June 12, 1909, at the age of seventy-sine. Both were active members of the Zion Evangelical Church and were admirers and friends of the beloved Pastor Quinius of that denomination. Charles Kuhn and wife had seven children, all of whom were born in the old home on West Michigan Street. Three of them, Herman, Minnie and Charles died quite young, Emma F., the oldest of the surviving children, is the widow of Peter F. Sindlinger, who died in 1903; William F. Kuhn, the second in age, was born March 7, 1866. Bertha married Albert Depries a hardware merchant at Shelbyville, Indiana. John A., the youngest of the children was born September 19, 1876.
William F. Kuhn was educated in Miller's School on East Ohio Street and also attended the German-English School on Maryland Street, where the Tribune office now stands. He also had a short course in the Koerner & Goodyear Business School. His brother John acquired his education chiefly from the Fourth Ward School and from the Shortridge High School. Both families are members of the Zion Evangelical Church.
William Kuhn married April 25, 1894 Miss Agnes L. Zismer of Indianapolis. Mr. and Mrs. Kuhn have one son, Frederick W., now twenty-two years of age and a graduate of the Manual High School of Indianapolis and a student at Purdue University.
Indiana and Indianans : a history of aboriginal and territorial Indiana and the century of statehood Chicago: American Historical Society, 1919, Dunn, Jacob Piatt, 1299