Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Demas Deming  



Demas Deming Jr.

April 15, 1841 - March 7, 1922


Demas Deming, Jr
Birth: 1841
Death: 1922
Burial: Highland Lawn Cemetery Terre Haute Vigo County Indiana


Mary Bourne Floyd Deming
Birth: Dec. 11, 1844
Death: Feb. 12, 1893
Burial: Highland Lawn Cemetery Terre Haute Vigo County Indiana,

Terre Haute native, Oldest child of Demas Deming Sr and Sarah C Paterson, notable early Vigo County settlers, having arrived from Connectictut in 1818, Demas Jr was born at home at the northwest corner of 6th St & Walnut Streets, the present site of the YMCA in Terre Haute.

Clerking at McKeen and Tousey Bank as a teenager, young Demas gained experience in banking.

At age 27, Demas Deming Jr became president of the First National Bank of Terre Haute (now First Financial Bank of Terre Haute) in 1868. 54 years as chief executive officer.

His name and legacy are indelibly woven intop the fiber of Terre Haute and Vigo Co. Deming Park, Deming Woods, Deming Land Company, Deming Place, Hotel Deming, Deming Block and buildings associated with area colleges are products of his ingenuity and generosity.

He was connected with William Riley McKeen as found:
    He then became connected with Mr. Demas Deming [Sr.], and until 1868 they conducted the banking business under the firm name of McKeen & Deming. On Mr. Deming's retirement to fill the position of president of the First National Bank of Terre Haute,







Demas Deming, Jr. was born April 15, 1841 in what was called "the first Deming mansion" at the northwest corner of First and Ohio streets.
That structure later was converted into a hotel. Before young Demas was two years old, the family moved to a new home at the southeast corner of Sixth and Walnut streets. The elder Deming was a merchant, associate judge, state legislator and president of the Terre Haute branch of the Second State Bank of Indiana. He also acquired considerable acreage east of the thriving village.

By the time his father died on March 3, 1865, young Demas already was well-known in financial circles. A graduate of Waveland Academy in Montgomery County, he had served as a clerk at McKeen & Minshall Bank, renamed McKeen & Deming when the elder Deming was made a partner in 1863.

Elected president of First National Bank (also a predecessor of First Financial Bank) in 1868, he was called "The Boy Banker," and secured the confidence of Terre Haute philanthropist Chauncey Rose and served as that bank's chief executive for 54 years. Named to the initial board of managers at Rose Polytechnic Institute of Technology, he served as treasurer for more than 40 years. When bonds in the college portfolio defaulted, Deming replaced the forfeited certificates with good bonds from his personal inventory.

On Feb. 7, 1871, Deming married Mary Floyd, a descendant of Col. George Rogers Clark Floyd, a former commandant at Fort Knox at Vincennes, and John Floyd, for whom Floyd counties in Indiana and Kentucky are named. The couple built residences at the southwest corner of Sixth and Swan streets and at the northeast corner of Sixth and Poplar streets. Land east of the second Deming home (recently razed) harbored Deming Stables, where Demas bred trotting horses. A portion of that property became the site of Terre Haute High School (later Wiley High School) in 1886. Mary Deming died on Feb. 12, 1893.

On Oct. 3, 1916, Demas wed widow Lillian Lohmann. Though he had no children by either marriage, Deming was particularly fond of the children of step-daughter Mary Lohmann, the wife of Lovell E. Waterman.

Deming's confidence in Terre Haute's future, particularly after Ohio Street opened east of Tenth Street on April 1, 1904, stimulated community investments.

He erected the eight-story Hotel Deming at the southeast corner of Sixth and Cherry streets

The firm Holabird and Roche of Chicago designed the building in the “Second Empire” style, with ornate cornices and plasterwork inspired by French architecture. Construction was by the Sheldon-Breck Construction Co. of St. Louis at a cost of $400,000. F.P.W. Young was the supervisor.

Designed as a fireproof hotel, the eight-story structure is an all-masonry building with poured concrete floors and ceilings. The Terre Haute Coal and Lime Co. furnished 4,450 cubic yards of gravel and sand, as well as 7,550 barrels of Marquette Portland cement for the concrete work on the building and sidewalks. Also used were 648,000 various kinds of bricks and 300 tons of twisted steel. It should be noted that during construction, no accident of any consequence occurred.

For the interior, the Connersville Furniture Co. manufactured all the bedroom furniture. Their local representatives, the A.Z. Foster Co., provided everything else except for the linens and kitchen equipment. The Adamson & Anderson Co. was contracted for all the glasswork in the hotel, using 10,000 pieces. When completed, the hotel had 250 rooms and 200 baths. The Mandel Studio of Chicago provided a large painting of Indians with Fort Harrison in the background for the lobby. This painting was removed during renovation and later returned.

The Deming Hotel opened officially for business on Tuesday, Oct. 20, 1914, with a Charity Ball to benefit The Boys Club. “Billie” Cochran was the first manager, with Tom Nelson as his first lieutenant manager. John O. Holmes, a traveling representative for Eli Lilly and Co., was the first name on the guest register. With dinner at 7 and dancing at 10, a good time was had by all.




Employing the expertise of landscape architect George E. Kessler of Kansas City, he designed Ohio Boulevard east of 19th St. Designed by architect and city planner George E. Kessler, the boulevard is 1.5 miles long. At its start at the intersection with 19th Street is an entrance including a stone structure on either side of the road. There the road is 106 feet wide, expanding to 190 feet wide at 20th street to accommodate an 80-foot-wide (24 m) median. The median is maintained by the city of Terre Haute as city park land. In the teardrop-shaped green space formed as the boulevard branches and widens between 19th and 20th streets is a fountain, restored in 2002. This small area was dedicated as Remembrance Plaza on September 11, 2002, in honor of those who lost their lives in the September 11 attacks one year prior. The boulevard was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 for its significance in architecture, landscaping and the history of the region.


and platted portions of Deming Place.

Demas Deming, Jr., the son of an early settler of Terre Haute, began developing the district on a large tract of land owned by his family. Using money acquired from the sale of another parcel of land to the city of Terre Haute that became Deming Park, around 1921 the Deming family created a scenic boulevard with a scenic parkway in the middle stretching from 19th Street to Fruitridge Avenue. Currently, the park consists of 177 acres (0.72 km2) and includes a public swimming pool, an 18-hole disc golf course, the Oakley Playground and the Clark-Landsbaum Holly Arboretum.On Feb. 28, 1921, Demas sold 155 scenic acres east of Fruitridge to the City of Terre Haute for $1,000 an acre for use public use.


He gave $100,000 of the proceeds to Rose Poly to build a residence hall in his parents' memory. The remaining $55,000 was used to extend Ohio Boulevard to Deming Park.

Demas died March 7, 1922 at age 80 but the family name is woven into the community fabric. Deming Place, Deming Woods and Deming Block are among several other landmarks associated with the family. Much commercial real estate between 25th Street and Brown Avenue on the south side of Wabash is in a trust established by the Waterman family primarily composed of property inherited from Deming. Though his parents were buried at Woodlawn Cemetery, the family of the younger Deming is interred at Highland Lawn. Demas Deming, Jr. was inducted in the Terre Haute Walk of Fame in 2013.






1922 - Mar 15 - Death of Demas Deming
    Another prominent member of the Lake Maxinkukee's east side summer collony has departed this life in the death of Demas Demining of Terre Haute.

    Mr. Deming was a millionaire, as shown by his will. His bequest to education and charities total about $150,000, including a gift of $100,000 to Rose Polytechnic Institure for a memorial building. Other bequests to charities include a day nursery, $20,000; social settlement, $10,000 and society for organzing charity $5,000.

    The Value of personal property is estimated at $1,000,000.







Today is