May 24, 1906
On last Saturday evening at about quarter past seven o'clock Mrs. E. E. Lord was suddenly taken mortally ill.
She had eaten her supper with an evident relish when she suddenly said to a friend who was sitting near her, "I have such a terrible neuralgic pain in the back of my head". She then attempted to get a bottle of medicine she was accustomed to use when feeiling ill that stand in a cabinet with her. She was able to tell her companion how to prepare the dose and had swallowed it when speech failed her.
On being told that a doctor would be at once telephoned for and in response to the query if Dr. Rea was her physician she was only able to nod her head.
Then, attempting to rise, she tottered and would have fallen but for assistance. Helping her into a recumbent postion her friend hastened to the apartments of Mr. and Mrs Hutchinson for aid.
Dr. Rea could not be reached but Dr. Parker responded at once to the call. The trouble was pronounced to be of an apoplextic nature, and while nothing remedial could be done every possible care and attention was given the stricken woman. The ladies of her own church home, some of whom were at her side within hald an hour were particularly solicitous in caring for her.
From the beginning of her attact she was unconscious, simply breathing and growing weaker and weaker until she died at 6:15 Sunday afternoon.
Among the many friends who surrounded her in her last moments were two who were the first two additional members of her family after she came to Culver, Capt. Oliver Crook and Mrs. Anna Butler. The latter lives in South Bend, was telegraphed for early Sunday morning and arrived in Culver at noon.
The funeral service at the M. E. church on Tuesday at 2 o'clocok was largely attended.
The body was taken to the residence under the escort of members of the Knights of Pythias, the Ladies' aid of the Christain church and the Ladies' aid of the Methodist church. Nearly every lady of the Christian Aide society carried a floral memorial, so numerous were the remembrances of friends.
At the church Rev. Mr. Shepherd of Plymouth, pastor of the Culver Christain church, gave an earnest and feeling address, Rev. Mr. Nicely prayed and read scripture, and a chorus sang several selections.
The pallbearers, chosen from the Knights of Pythias, of which order the husband of Mrs. Lord was a member, were E. W. Hand, Clyde Walter, Jesse Rhoads, Timothy Wolf, Urias Menser and D. H. Smith
Among the floral offering were pieces from the Ladies' Aid societys of the Christain and Methodist churches, All Saints guild and the Knights of Pythias.
Emma Estella Stella Sewall was born of Englis parent at Uniontown, near Dayotn, O. Aug. 20, 1859. Orphaned a 6 years she was placed in a catholic school in Cincinnati, and two years later taken to a similar institution in Boston where she remained until she was 19 years old. At that time she removed to Indianapolis, Ind., and Dec. 5th 1881, was married to Ralph K Lord of that city.
Mr and Mrs Lord resided in Indianapolis until their removal to Marmont on Lake Maxinkuckee in 1884, where they settled in the home in which she died.
Capt. Lord owned and ran a steamboat, the Wm. R. McKee, and upon his death in 1889 Mrs. Lord, with the assistance of Capt. Oliver Crook, continued herself to manafe the business, which grew until she had three steamboats on the lake.
Mrs. Lord, who was an exceptionally energetic and capable woman, undertook a number of diffeent business enterprizes which she carried out successfully with more than ordinary executive abilities.
Her steamboat interests she sold to Capt. Crook in 1902, but during that time she was managing this business she conducted a large and excellent boarding house in her own home, Cottage Grove Place.
For two years she ran the Colonnade, the large hotel near the depot that subsquently burned.
She then purchased the Wm. Jones farm, a mile and a half southwest of Culver on the lake, and for four years she personally manafed this place making a specilty of raising hogs. During this time she supervised every detail of the place, and often did a man's work, sometimes going on the riding plow herself.
Mrs. Lord was also for a year matron at the Culver Military academy.
Her last business venture was a millinery store on Main street, in Culver which she conducted for two year, selling out to Mrs. Hand only this spring.
During the time Mrs. Lord was on her farm she suffered from an attack of paralysis, also becoming blind. She was taken to the hospital connected with the Ann Arbor Medical Institute where she remained for six weeks, making a fair recovery. Her health, however, was never entirely restored, and she was subject to occasional attacks of vertigo.
Mrs. Lord was a woman in unusual character and intelligence and at the time of her death was perhaps the best known person in Culver and its vicinity.
She was a generous friend and a most neighborly neighbor. Her large house was always open to church social functions regardless of denomination.
In sickness she was most helpful, and often assisted in the care of contagious cases, saying she had not family of her own to endanger.
As she lay unconscious last Sunday, surrounded by many friends there were many incidents related of neighborly kindess upon her part.
She was a particularly bright and original woman, in her younger days a brillant conversationalist, and before her eyes failed her, an artist in water-color and oil of no mean ability.
In the revival at the Christain church under Mr. Shephear last winter she became deeply interested in spiritual matters, and about eight weeks ago joined the society.
The last few weeks of her life were brightened by her happiness in her religious experience.
Although Mrs. Lord had no children of her own she helped to raise four young people, all of whom mourn the loss of a tender and faithful friend in her death. They are: Miss Anna Jones, now Mr. W. J. Butler of South Bend; Miss Myrica Marshall, now married and living in Arkansas; Jonas SMith, a street car conductor in Joliet, Ill. and his brother Amon Smith, now studying to be an electrical engineer in Chicago.
By the Ladies' Aid society of the Christain Church:
Whereas, It has pleased our Heavenly Father to remove from our circle by death our sister, Mrs. E. E. Lord in the midst of her usefulnees and companionship, therefor be it
Resolved, That we her sisters, desire to express our deep sorrow for our loss, and regret that her presence wil no more brighten our meetings, and
Resolved, That though our hearts are filled with mourning we humbly bow to the will of our Heavenly Father.
Resolved, That this society manifest ist love and estem for our departed sister by setting apart a memorial page on its records for these resolutions, and that a copy be sent to the Culver Citizen.
Mrs. W. E. Hand
Mrs. J. O. Ferrier
Miss FLorence Morris.