A Pioneer's Recollections
Th following is taken from the Indianapolis Sta. Mrs. English is well-known among our East side Cottagers. 30 Jun 1920
Probably one of the oldest residents of Indianapolis is Mrs. Elvira English, 2735 College Avenue.
Mrs. ENglish was born in Harrisburg, Pa, in 1831 and when 6 years old, came here with her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs.
Heny Colestock, to Indianapolis. They left Harrisburg on a packet boat for Cincinnati, Ol., from where the trip was completed in
a, schooner wagon, coming by ay of Madison
They located on Tennessee street, now Capitol avenue, near the Blake homestead, and she recalls the first piano bought in the
town, which was that owned by Blake.
Later they moved to the present site of the Circle theater, and she saw the governor's home erected whil living there. At
this time she was a pupil in Mrs. RIchmond's school, there being no public school at that time, and tuition was paid in
THey also lived where the Blind inistitue now stands, which then surrounded by cornfields and woods.
The public library no occupies the ground that was once their cow pasture.
In 1852 she married Joseph K. ENglish, who was the city treasurer during the Civil War, and county commissioner when
the present courthouse was built
More than forty-five years ago she and her husband went to Maxinkuckee on fishing trips, where they either boarded at
farm houses or camped out, there being no cottages there at that early date.
They were known at the lake as inveterate fishermen, and many stories are told of their wonderful catches. In all the years
that followed she has been found in a little cottage, and is there at the present time with her daughters.
Although 89 years old she is a very active and wide-awake woman. Her pastime for years has been the peicing of quilts, of
which she has made nearly sixty, there being displayed with a great pride.
She owns several counterpanes which were bought in Cincinnati in exchange for wheat, her husband's father driving there
to market it.
She recalls the first train that came into Indianapolus, from Madison and tells of a shed with a slant roof that was a fish
market and stood wher the H. P. Wasson Co. store now stands.
Her husband was one of the old seminary boys who attended school wher the university park now is, and they attended
many reunions of the institution in past years.