Rhodes Property S. Plymouth St "Oak Knoll"
This property originally only had one house on it back on 1906 , 14, 1924 & 1937 Sanborn fire maps
and the 1908 & 1922 plat map - thus it was probably M. R. Cline who built the two smaller front
houses only a few yards off South Plymouth street ; the main and original house sat up on the knoll
and the driveway ran a few inches of the south smaller house and the drivewayor alley was an
extension of Clover St. off of South Plymouth Street
James F. D. Lanier
|| 1835-1837 Plat Map
Section 21 Lot 1 - 52.41A
Section 21 Lot 2 - 41.92A
Section 21 Lot 3 - __.__A [41.49]
of Jefferson county, Indiana on 30 June 1837 was issued the
the East half
of Section twenty; Fractional Section of Twenty One; Fractional Section of Twenty
Seven and Fractional section of Twenty eight containing 793 32/100 acres.
|1872 Plat Map
J. Miller 18.32A
A. Foot 21.60A
J Robbin 27.90A James G Robbins
J. Filer 10A
J. Smith 61.40A
||1876 Plat Map - no names on it for this section|
|1880 Plat Map
"W. J. Myers 17.85A"
M. G. Gould 23.92A; 56/57A
E. Parker 27.42A
J. Filer 10A
C. Filer 39.40A
G. A. Durr - Lot 2
A.C. Shepherd Etal
It is an educated Guess that this was the W. J. Myers property at this time
This is Myers Garden from the 1895 Maxinkuckee Ag book - an exact
location has not been determined but from the curve in the railbead
it is assumed to be between Willow Point and Washington Street|
1880 - W. J. Myers he had 17.35 acres, reached to lake edge -
location would be [probably from Daviess or Winfield to Mill St
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d
ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
Areas in corporated into Culver
M. Gruobs 10A +
B. Easterday 38.40
South Long Pont
|the 1906 sandborn map of the area shows the house at the top
|1908 Plat Map
||1908 - T. Medborn and shows the Railraod disceting
the property from the lakefront.|
||1908 - Thomas Medborn and shows the Railroad dissecting
the property from the lakefront.|
The only Thomas and Mary Medbourn I find are Thomas Medbourn was married to
Mary E. Green... Thomas Medbourn died January 1, 1908, and his wife; Mary,
February 20, 1925
|1914 Sanborn shows the house
In the March 1, 1947 issues under do you remember for March 1 1917 is found:
M. R. Cline moved yesterday to "Oak Knoll" on the lake front, the home which he bought from
Mrs. Mary Medbourn a year ago
||The 1922 plat map shows that M. R. Cline owned the property |
||1924 Sanborn map South Plymouth Street area.|
|1937 Sanborn map South Plymouth Street area.
An ad found in the Logansport Pharos-Tribune on 11 May 1962 are likely these houses:
Three Lake Maxinkuckee Cottages
nice view of lake, Many oak trees, 140' frontage X 103' approx., west side
of lake. Sell all for $12,900 to settle estate. Terms. ClLine's 201 E. Jefferson
St. Culver Indiana. Ph. VI-2-3455 or VI-2-2566
378 South Plymouth Street - 1993 Charles Rhodes (now a part of 308 S. Plymouth)
this was listed as the M. E. Cline lot - in 1964. There was one big 'old house' that sat up on the knoll
it was divided into an apartment upstairs and downstairs (whether it was at one time one house is unknown)
but at this time it was owned by Charles Rhodes - he and his sons used the upstairs apartment when they
were in town the lower appartment was occupied by the Al Schlabach family - children were: Gerri (daughter),
Clifford, Darrel and Kathy. Al was an employee of Park n Shop.
The driveway to it was an extension of Clover St. off of S. Plymouth St; old address in the 1960's being
312 Plymouth Street
This house would of been consider lakefront - with the railroad running between it and the lake.
In front of this lot sat the 2 homes that M. R. Cline built.
The history of these lots:
1908 - T. Medborn
1922 - M. R. Cline
[Milon Reno Cline]
19__ - ? South Plymouth - #1 M. R. Cline -
This sat in front of the older house on the same piece of ground This house was built by M. R. Cline; and was
identical in style to the one next to it.
1964 - Aug. 19 - For Rent: Three bedromme house with utility room and garage on Plymouth St. Culver. Located on Lake.
Call Park N Shop Phone VI 2-2450
From sometime in 1964 - till the fall of 1968 our family (Alvin R., Reba D., Judith E. and Stephen M. McKee) lived in this house.
While living here - many a trips was made down the old railroad tracks past the co-op over the tressell, trough the park and
to the Lakeshore Garage - generally it was taking dad's meals to him.
There is no re-call of the actual house # as we had a P.O. Box from the time we moved into town in August. 1962.
As expressed in articles about Mr. Cline he loved wood - the stairway, landing and the large attic/bedroom was done in Knotty
The living room in this house was to the North with the kitchen to the south. This sat on the south end of the lot next to
the driveway for the house on the knoll.
19__ ? South Plymouth - #2 M. R. Cline
This house was built by M. R. Cline; and was identical in style to the one next to it. As expressed in articles about Mr.
Cline he loved wood - the stair way, landing and the large attic/bedroom was done in
This house sat on the north of the lot partially in front of the curve of Plymouth St onto what is considered Marmont to
intersect with Main St.
1923 - ? - the ownership is unclear - but by 1952 M. R. Cline still had the Novlety Works on East jefferson Street just across
the way which became the M. R. Cline Builder's Store.; we do know that Charles Rhodes purchased the E. jefferson Street
property in May 1963 and may have pruschased this property at the sametime from Mr. Cline.
This was found in the Logansport Pharos-Tribune Friday, May 11, 1962 Logansport, Indiana:
Three Lake Maxinkuckee cottages |
nice view of lake. Many Oak trees,
140' frontage x 193' approx.
west side of lake. sell
all for $12,000 to settle estate.
terms. Clines, 201 E. Jefferson
St. Culver , Indiana Ph.
VI-2-2334 or VI-202566
All three houses were owned by Charles Rhodes in 1964-198_; exactly how long after that is not known. The two front houses
were rental properties along with the downstairs of the "big house" the upstairs was used by the Rhodes family when they were
in Culver ; probably until they acquired the Hampton property.
Just when it was converted to a duplex is not known or if it had always been a duplex.
Below is the front view of the house standing with back to the lake. To the left (which would be south) is the edge of sometime
during the 'Cove' pruchasing era - the William Hampton's house was moved to across the street into the 'circle' and became
309 S. Plymouth
and the landscape flattened out and
in the background just over the knoll you can see the top of the #1 M. R. Cline house; and to the right you
can see a very small portion of the #2 M. R. Kline house.
This comes from Cathy Schlabach Keller this is just before they tore it down for the Cove project.; her family lived in the downstairs of
the 'house on the knoll'. These houses along were tore down in the 1980's to make way for the Cove.
Next to this property was the lot belonging to the Co-op most of it was swampy and it had several metal buildings on it for storage.
Several years before this it was the Medbourn ice houses
part of the Culver Cove).
Back in the 1960's there was a well worn path through this lot from the houses across to Park-N-Shop; Al Sclahback worked at
Park-N-Shop and lived in the old house in the bottom duplex and would walk across this lot to work - so would people of the
neighborhood when they went to the store if it was not swampy wet when it rained. Charles Rhodes and sons used the upstairs
for their visits and stays to Culver - they were at the time from the South Bend or Osceloa area and also had other
Park n Shop's there too.
It is unsure but it is believe that the parcel of land and all three houses was purchased by the Culver Cove project in the late 1980's
as an expansion to their project and all three houses were tor down by them - and then possible parcels of land
were sold off as financial problems set in with the project.
4 lots in 2005
|This property became 308 S. Plymouth St. as the lots have
dimineshed from 4 down to only 3 lots (the middle one the has 2 counts as one as it has not been re-surveyed
as yet to exculded the railroad property); as shown in the photos.|