Eli Parker & Catherine Spangler Family
Eli Parker and Catherine Spangler
6 Catherine she was born 21 Jan 1840 Sanduskey county, Ohio died Aug 1906 Culver , Marshall, Indiana
daughter of Samuel and Rachel (Reed)
Catherine Spangler, daughter of Samuel and Rachael Spangler, was born Jan. 21, 1840 near Fremont, Sandusky
county, O., and died at Culver, Ind., Aug. 7, 1906, at the afer of 66 years, 6 months and 17days
In 1855, with her parents she moved to Miami county, Ind.
Novenber 11, 18u60, she was married to Eli Parker, to which union there were born six children - three sons and
March 16, 1869, she untied with the Christian church at Maxinkuckee, Ind.
She leaves to mourn her loss six children, four brothers and two sisters.
Her husband and two little grandchildren precedded her to the spirit worl.
Sister Parker lived her life in the simplicity of her christian faith. She has gone to her rest
married Eli Parker married 11 Nov 1860 in Maxinkuckee, Marshall, Indiana
Mr. PARKER is a prosperous merchant at the town of Maxenkuckee, in Union Township, and of of that class
whose prosperity is traceable to their good management, and determination to succeed. He was born in
Preble County, Ohio, in 1831, and when about two years of age, came to the State of Indiana, in 1833,
with the family of his father, Dunham PARKER, who was a native of New Jersey. His father settled at
Logansport, Indiana, where he was engaged at the tailor's trade until his death. His wife was Miss Mary
DEMOSS, a native of Ohio. She survived her husband, dying in Fulton County, Indiana, in 1879.
Eli, the subject of this sketch, was reared at Logansport - then a very small town - and received such an
education as the common schools of that day afforded; but he was endowed by nature with gifts that even
the limited educational advantages of his youth could not subdue, and which ultimately developed into the
qualities of a successful business man. In 1854, he removed to Fulton County, Indiana, and two years later,
deciding to start in life for himself, he came to Marshall County, and, locating in Union Township, invested his
small capital in a stock of general merchandise, thus founding the establishment of which he is still the proprietor.
His success was not due to any rare advantages secured by his venture, but is fairly attributable to his prudent
management and rigid economy. Year by year his surplus increased, and his stock was enlarged as much as was
consistent with the principles of safe business, until it reached its present proportions, and amounted to several
thousands of dollars in value. In 1860, he wedded Miss Catherine SPANGLER, daughter of Samuel SPANGLER,
Esq., a highly respected citizen of Fulton County, Indiana, and with the satisfaction of a prosperous business
came the pleasures of a comfortable home. Six children, in all, were born of this happy union, and all now survive.
Their names are: Jennie L., Dunham C., Francis M., Nellie M., Edward E. and Bertha E.
As a merchant, Mr. Parker deserves more than a passing notice. He came to his present location poor in purse, and
threw into his work an enthusiasm that made his business grown, and by honesty and fair dealing established his
trade upon a sure foundation. He has invested his capital in land at various times, until his possessions in real estate
now amount to over 400 acres. His life has been a success, and he has secured and ever retained the confidence
and esteem of those who know him. - History of Marshall County, Indiana 1836 to 1880 by Daniel McDonald, printed
in Chicago by Kingman Brothers, Lakeside Building, 1881
Death of Eli Parker
The community was surprised Sunday morning to hear of the suddeb death of
Eli Parker of Maxinkuckee
He had retired in good health Saturday night, but his wifr's attention was attracted
shortly afterward by unusual breathing
She arose and procuring a light found that life was extinct.
Heat disease is attribued as the cause of his death
Mr. Parker came to Indiana with his parents in infancy and grew to manhood in
Hw set up in buisness in Monterey shortly after reaching his majority; then he
moved to Maxinkuckee, where he continued in the general merchandise
business until 1890, when he sold out and retired to his farm, where he lived
until the final summons came.
He was successfull in his undertakings, and as a result of his careful manafement
he succeeded in amassing more than a competency.
He was a useful citizen, and contributed liberally to faternal, benevilent and
He was a member of thre Disciples church, and an Odd Fellow,, and his funeral which
was held in the church at Maxinkuckee, Tuesday afternoon, was largely atteneded
by members of those organizations from adjanct towns. Rev. Brown of Logansport,
conducted the services
The internment was at Poplar Grove cemetery.
Deceased was aged 65 years 1 month and 17 days, and leaves a wife and six
children. - Argos Reflector September 3 Sep 1896,
From On Township Yesteryears:
Another name intimately associated with the ancient community of Maxinkuckee is that of PARKER. ELI PARKER was the pioneer of the
family in this township.
He settled here in 1860 or thereabouts, opened a general store at Maxinkuckee, and largely invested his
profits in land, so that at his death at the age of sixty-five, he was a substantial and honored citizen, having accumulated quite
a store of wealth.
He took in JOHN WISE as a partner in the store business, and for many years the firm of Parker & Wise was known
far and wide. They had the unique distinction of having two stores operating at one and the same time on the east side of the lake.
One of them was a branch of the main store on the hill, however, and was operated at the Landing as a resort store during the summer
ELI PARKER married CATHERINE SPANGLER. They had three sons and three daughters, all living now but one. CATHERINE SPANGLER was born
January 21, 1840, near Fremont, Ohio, and was married to ELI PARKER, November 11, 1860, She was a daughter of Samuel and Rachel
It was on August 31, 1896, that ELI PARKER passed to his eternal rest. He was a member of the Odd Fellows lodge. On the date of
his passing he gave a talk at the lodge for the good of the order. He went home, and died within about fifteen minutes. His widow
survived him ten years, to the month. Her death occurred on August 7, 1906, at Culver. She was sixty-six. CATHERINE PARKER was laid
to rest in Poplar Grove Cemetery, where her husband was buried.
The PARKER lands, as mapped in the 'seventies, were close to Maxinkuckee village. Just north of it, E. PARKER had plots of 15.75 and
40 acres. and north of this land he had 120 acres. Just southeast of the village 73.50 acres were in his name.
1 Jennie E. PARKER Birth: Jan. 29, 1862 Indiana, Death: Sep. 30, 1922 Culver
Marshall County Indiana married Daniel W Marks Birth: Feb. 15, 1856
Indiana, Death: Nov. 16, 1936 son of Daniel B Marks & Elizabeth McKinstry both buried
Poplar Grove Cemetery Marshall County Indiana
a present-day (1925) resident of Culver. There were two sons who died in childhood at Maxinkuckee. The mother died at Culver.
2 Dunham C. "Dunn" PARKER Birth: Apr., 1863 Indiana Death: Jan. 7, 1940 Marshall County Indiana buried
Poplar Grove Cemetery Marshall County Indiana. Lived at Argos, about 1935. There are no children.
Dunham C. PARKER, 76, one of the pioneer residents of Argos, passed away Sunday evening 9:30 at the Kelly hospital. Death resulted from
complications which came in wake of a stroke suffered ten days ago. Mr. Parker was well known throughout both Marshall and Fulton
Dunham C., son of Eli and Catherine (SPANGLER) PARKER was born at Maxinkuckee, Ind., on April 27th, 1863.
In 1895 he was united in marriage to Mary E. BEEBER. Following his marriage he moved from the Maxinkuckee neighborhood to Argos
where he operated a drug store for 14 years.
From 1910 to 1921 he was employed as cashier of the First National bank of Argos and retired from that position to engage in the
insurance and real estate business for himself.
Mr. Parker was a member of the Camelite church of Maxinkuckee, the Knights of Pythias Lodge and the Argos Citizens band.
Surviving are his wife; a brother, Frank PARKER, of Culver , and two sisters, Mrs. Bertha HAYES, of Culver and Mrs. Bard KRAUSE, of
South Bend, Ind.
Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon two o'clock at the Umbaugh funeral home in Argos. Rev. R. W. KNIGHT will be in
charge of the services. Burial will be made in the Poplar Grove cemetery, northeast of Maxinkuckee. The body will lie in state at the
Umbaugh funeral home until the hour of the rites. - Monday, January 8, 1940 Rochester Sentinel<
3 Francis M. (Frank) PARKER, Birth: Aug., 1864 Indiana Death: 1944 marrried Ida M Rector Birth: Feb., 1870
Indiana, Death: 1947 buried Poplar Grove Cemetery Marshall County Indiana daughter of Lewsi C. Rector and
Sarah Ann Smith (see Rector Family
Parker Family Saved From Fire by Dog
Home us Destroyed
Occupnats Escape from FLaming Structur Just as Roof Collapses;; $6,000
"Fanny" may be just an ordinary dog without a pedigree or other marks of a thoroughbred,
but she is a heroine to the five persons she aroused from sleep in the Frank Parker home
early Saturday morning, just before the blazing roof collapsed.
The occupants of the Parker home, which is located near Mazinkuckee, escaped without
injury but had a narrow escape from being trapped by the flames.
They were Mr. and Mrs. Frank Parker, Mary Rector, a neighbor girl who was staying in the
Parker hom that night, whose dog it was that saved the sleeping household, George
Parker and Donald Riggs. The latter was forced to jump from a second story window to
It is believed that the fire started in the northweast bedroom from defective wiring. The
loss is estmated at $6,000.
The home was an old landmark of the east side of the lake and was a 10 room structure built
55 years ago by Eli Parker.
The fire had such a start when it was discovered that only a small portion of the household
goods on the first floor could be saved. In fact, withing an hour after the fire was discovered
the building was lying in smoldering ruins.
The Culver Fire Department was called, but lthe lack of water forced it to confine its attentions
to the nearby buildings which were saved. - - Citizen - 13 Apr 1943
Both are living, 1935. Their home is on one of the old PARKER farms on the east side of Lake
Maxinkuckee. There are no children.
4 Nellie M. PARKER Birth: Oct. 9, 1866 Marshall County Indiana Death: Dec. 17, 1952
South Bend St. Joseph County Indiana married Bradley D [Bradford ("Brad") ] Krouse
Birth: Apr. 21, 1870 Hancock County Ohio Death: Jun. 10, 1950 South Bend St. Joseph
County Indiana son of William Henry Krouse buried Poplar Grove Cemetery Marshall
Everett Eli Krouse (1897 - 1917) died in the Service, while in a hospital during the World War
Otis Palmer Krouse (1900 - 1967)
Vernon Eugene Krouse (1904 - 1933)
5 Edward E. PARKER, Dr Birth: Dec. 18, 1870 Maxinkuckee Marshall County Indiana, USA
Death: 1936 South Bend St. Joseph County Indiana
E. E. PARKER, M. D. A life-long resident of Marshall county and widely known as a successful practitioner
of medicine even beyond its limits, Dr. E, E. Parker is a native of Maxinkuckee, Indiana, born on the 18th
of December, 1879.
He has amply fulfilled the destiny of the substantial American citizen, which to make an honorable name
for himself by long years of faithful industry and straight forward work among the associates who know
him best. It is the conclusive test of a stalwart character. To this faithfulness and industry, Dr. Parker has
added natural aptitude and thorough professional training, so that his success and high standing seemed
His father, Eli Parker, settled in Marshall County about 1860, opened a general store at Maxinkuckee, and
largely invested his profits in land, so that his death at the age of sixty-five removed from the community
a substantial, as well as a highly honored citizen. By his marriage to a Miss Spangler he became the father
of three sons and three daughters, all of whom are living at the present time.
Of this family, Dr. Parker is the fifth child and the third son.
Dr. Parker was reared in Marshall County, attended the common schools of his native town, and completed
his literary training at Butler University.
In 1895 he was matriculated at the Indiana Medical College, from which he graduated in 1898, locating for
his initial practice at Flora, Indiana. There he continued for two years, when he removed to Culver, since
which time he has actively progressed in professional reputation and business.
His wife was formerly Miss Dora Moss, daughter of William and Josephine Moss, and to their union have
been born two daughters, Kathryn and Josephine. To his professional work have therefore been added
the good American traits of domesticity and tender fatherhood. Besides his membership in the Marshall
County Medical Society and the Indiana State Medical Association, Dr. Parker enjoys a fraternal identification
with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and other societies. Socially, domestically
and professionally, he is a strong and constant force in the advancement and uplifting of his home
community. History of Marshall County Indiana (1908) Daniel Mc Donald pg 543
married Dora Moss, daughter of William and Josephine Moss
Kathryn M Parker Birth: Sep. 17, 1902 Indiana Death: Sep. 27, 1994 Newark Licking County
Ohio Elementary and Secondary School Teacher, never married
Josephine (Rosemary) Parker
6 Bertha E. PARKER Birth: Oct., 1874 Marshall County Indiana Death: unknown married
Birth: Jul. 15, 1874 Bement Piatt County Illinois Death: unknown Marshall County
CHARLES E. HAYES, the leading liveryman of Culver and one of its large property owners, is a native of
Illinois, born in Bement, Piatt County, on the 15th of July 1874.
His father is Abraham Hayes, a native of Ohio, who came to Culver in May 1895, and entered the livery
business, Charles E. buying a one-half interest in the enterprise in the year following its establishment.
In 1906 he purchased his father's interest and thus became sole proprietor of the business.
Charles E. Hayes received his education in the schools of his native Illinois town, graduating from its high
school, which is considered one of the best in the state. After leaving school he went south and spent
five years in Alabama and Georgia, engaged during that period in the winery business, and in 1896
transferred his activities from Tallapoosa, Georgia, to Culver, Marshall county.
Since that year he has been developing a fine business, and is now the owner of the most complete and
modern livery in the town. His establishment includes a stable of fifteen horses, carriages of the latest
make, an automobile and facilities for heavy teaming. In 1901 he erected a commodious barn, 120 by 70
feet in dimensions.
Besides his livery plant Mr. Hayes owns three residences in Culver and other property of value,
He is also interested in a number of local corporations, including the Culver Water Works.
In politics he is a Republican, and although one of the most popular men of the locality, has evinced no
desire for public preferment.
Mr. Hayes' wife, to whom he was married in January, 1897, was formerly Bertha E. Parker, daughter of
Eli and Catherine (Spangler) Parker, both widely known residents of the county,
There are no children.