Maxinkuckee Highland Subdivision area
Part of the area above Academy Drive between Std. Rd. 10, Lake Shore Dr. (St. Rd. 17) and State Street
is labeled as Maxinkuckee Highland Subdivision on the plat maps. Just how far its carried north and west is
||Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey|
|Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
||1872 - Section. 16
Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
T. Houghton 90A.
J. Houghton Acreage not stated
J ___ name illegible 4A
G. A. Durr 10A
Lot no name no acreage stated
G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]
|1876 - J. Castleman - 190A
1876 Section 16
||1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
I N Morris 185.34
B. W. Watt 15.50A
LakeView Club 15A
J Duddleson 109.31A
Tho. Houghton 90A.
J. E. Houghton 19.60A
E Parker 27 A
|1898 - Section 16
L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
T. Houghton 89A
E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
J. J. Bryant
Incorporated Limits of Culver
||1922 Plat Section 16
Lewis C. Dillion 238.28
Wm H. Houghton 87A
||1956 Plat map Section 16
Mildred Dillon 126A & 92A
Ida Dillon 48A
Leonard Hoffman 19A
|The way it was before 1957-1958. In the background is a view of the
Dillion property on the south side of State Road 10 where the Culver Storage Units,
the now empty motorcycle shop and the
Ten Spot, now empty also is. The houses on the horizon is college Avenue homes.
| 1961 Plat map Section 16
Mildred Dillon 126A & 92A (Dillon Property)
Ida Dillon 48A
L. H. (Leonard Hoffman) 19A
||By the orginal plans the photo to the left represents what was going to be the
sudivision "Maxinkuckee Highlands as found:
1961- Jan 18 - The commissioners gave preliminary approval to plans for a new subdivision,
known as Maxinkuckee Highlands, and located in the area bounded by Indiana 10, Old 17,
Academy Road and State Street The Thirty-acre plot could contain about nintey residential
lots, as well as a small business district. The area is being developed by Maxinkuckee
Developers, Inc. a local firm.
|As depicted in plat maps of the 1960's
In the 1968 the squares rectangles represents buildings - these are
Winkler's automotive shop
Culver Animal clinic
The "L" shape is the
Town and country package store
that sits on the corner of 1910 and 17 They were the first buildings
built between Academy Road, Lakeshore Drive, State Street, State Road 10 and School Street.
|An Ad for house in Maxinkuckee Higlands, Apr. 26, 1961
1964 - Apr 22 - Town BOard Topics...
Harry Edgington and Charles Edgington, respresenting the developers of Maxinkuckee Highlands, which is a new housing
development located north of Indiana Avenus or Academy Road, which ever you prefer, and west of Old 17 and
bounded on the north by State ROad 10 and 17. proposed that this area be annexed into the corporate limits of
It was brought out that in doing so the City of Culver would be required to furnish waterlines, sewer facilities and
THe area in question consists of about 28 acres.
The developers were informed that the Town of CUlver could not furnish these services due to conditions and
contract regulations of the present articles which involver the existing bonded indebtedness of the present
water and sewage department.
Water pressure for the area was discussed which would present a problem, since the area is on very high
ground and a long disttance from the water tower, which lessens the water pressure to the point that it
would be indadequate.
Mr. McFeely stated that to give adequate pressure to that area a booster pump arrangement would have to
be placed on the water line into the area. This would cost approximately $600.
The final agreement reached was that the area would be annexed with these provisions: the developers
provide water, sewer and sewage lines and the city would install a water pressure booster. Thes conditions
must also be approved by the planning commission.
By the May 6, 1964 citizen the area was annexed in accordingly
An agreement betwen the owners of Maxinkuckee Highlands addition was signed by the board. The area
will be annexed into the Town of Culver under these conditions: The owners are to lay all storm
and sewage and water lines in the addition. Sewers are to be large enough to adequately take care
of surface water and seweage.
||Ad appearing Oct 4, 1961|
|1965 - Maxinkuckee Homes Inc. received Parents magazine Citation of Merit
|From plat maps as labled underneath|
It was the hopes of the developers to expand the housing subdivison further north
but it fully did not happen. Most of the land lay as undeveloped farm land into the 1980's and
slowly evovled into more of a buisness disrict. As idicated by the following plat map
||1981 Plat map Section 16
Culver Educational foudantion 112.2A
Arthur Dillion Jr. 88.4Aetal -
Lutheran Trinity Church
2 unnamed subdivisions
Maxinkuckee Highlands (1st & 2nd)
unlabeled northwest corner 5.95A - George Hopple (1959)
Now divided down as:3.88A , 0.86A,1.21A
The to be built eventually in the ensuing years were
Park n Shop
Maxinkuckee Home Supply
Plaza Apartments (1979),
(1981) and the
(1983), Senior Citizen Apartments (1990),
and then the Monterey Bank
(1988-2011) adding more
buildings in ensuing years),
and Family Dollar
||It was broke down into three subdivisons :
Maxinkuckee Highlands which consistes of
Dariy Queen and
and Family Dollar.
The others are Maxinkuckee Highlands 1st Addition of
806 Academy Dr.,
820 Academy Dr. &
7 houses 618, 610, 618, 624, 708, 712 Academy Dr. & 615 State St. and Maxinkuckee Highlands
2nd Addition 5 house - 622, 625 & 628 State St; 625, 629 N. Forest Place
Of the 90 homes hoped to be built only 12 were and 19 Condominium (1999-2002).