It is located to the east of thea area called
"Maxinkcuckee Landing" on 18b road about one-half mile. The area once known as Maxinkuckee Village
is located just north of the east shore of Lake Maxinkuckee, on 18B Road, beginning approximately
where 18B intersects East Shore Drive and extending about a mile to the southern jog of Queen Road.
The Maxinkuckee Village was never officially a town of its own, but it once was a relatively thriving
village, with its own school, church, and several stores. Description found in the Weekly Republican
PLymouth) dated 2 May 1872
Maxinkuckee, Ind., is a beautiful village situated on the east bamk of Macinkuckee Lake. The
inhabitants claims to have all that is necessary to render life a blessing. They fin that whisky is
non-essential, and have therefor completely done awar with it; but have a No. 1 store, saw and
Grist Mill, Wagon and Blacksmoth shop SHoe SHop and Hotel, Physician, Odd Fellows Lodge, good
schools, much babies, plenty of Wheat Bread, and some Gospel.
In fact, Maxinkuckee was originally the "town" on the shores of the lake, rather than the town we know
of as Culver today. Had it not been for the arrival of the Vandalia rail line, Maxinkuckee might have
grownup to be the more populous of the two communities. With the arrival of the railroad, however, the
small village on the east shore was eventually overshadowed by the town of Marmont, later Culver.
The area today it is still a small community unto itself, but with none of the industry that once defined
it. Perhaps the last vestige of bygone days was Bigley's apple orchard and store on what is today 18B
road, but these ended operations in the 1990s.
1901 Sep 26 - Rural free delivery will be established Nov. 1 at Culver, Marshall county, Indiana,
with one carrier, D. H. Smith, the post office at Maxinkuckee to be supplied by rural carrier, main
to Culver . Logansport Pharos Tribune
1 February 1902 - the Maxinkuckee Post Office was discontinued and merged with Culver .
The Post master of Maxinkuckee were: Eli Parker, James M. Dale, Harvey Atkinson, John F.
Wise, Adin Stevens, D. C. Parker, George W. Kline, George M. Spangler and Frank Smythe.
The essay below, written in the early part of the 20th century. The essay gives a picture of
the village closer to its heyday...
"The village of Maxinkuckee is situated half a mile East of Lake Maxinkuckee, from which it derives
From this village on the high bluff on which it is built is obtained the finest view of the beautiful
lake any where around the twelve miles of its charming shore line. It has never been regularly platted
and laid out as a town.
It had two streets. The one that divides the place and runs north and south is called Washington Street,
and the one running East and West is called Lake Street.
On the North side of Lake Street, about half-way from the village to the lake, was the wigwam of the
good Indian Chief, Neeswaugee, which is about opposite the residence of Peter Spangler.
The street should have been called “Nees-wau-gee Avenue” to perpetuate the memory of the first owner of
all the land east and north of the street.
The village contains a store, blacksmith shop, a Church, and a lodge of Odd Fellows, and contains a
population of 150.
For many years it had a Post Office, but with the coming of rural free delivery system it was
discontinued and the people now receive their mail by free delivery.
Also the Railroad influenced it. There were plans that might have brought the Railroad around the East
side of the Lake but instead it went around the West side and the town of Marmont (Culver 1894). The
town of Marmont prospered and grew but Maxinkuckee stayed the same. The Post Office went to Marmont
At the village of Maxinkuckee the first Post Office was established about the year 1858. It was
discontinued February 1, 1902. It was in the old general store, kept by Parker and Wise, and stood on the
North side of thestreet, opposite the present general store (1934). One corner of the store was reserved
for the Post Office business, George Spangler recalls, “and when mail came in, it was put in a wooden
bucket. The store at mail time would be well filled with people ‘round about, and the Postmaster as he
shouted out the names in avoice that could be heard from one end to the other, would throw, hurl, or fire
the mail matter at the addresses. His aim was true; he seldom pitched a bad one and could qualify for most
any baseball team. At the receiving end, the catchers were nearly all adept, too.”
Nees-wau-gee Indian village is on the Bigley farm, on the north side of Maxinkuckee Road, just opposite
the Spangler Allegany House." Images of the Maxinkuckee Village
The following is from the History of Marshall county, Indiana, 1908, Daniel McDonald:
The village of Maxinkuckee is situated half a mile east of Maxinkuckee lake, from which it derives its
From this village on the high bluff on which it is built is obtained the finest view of the beautiful
lake anywhere around the twelve miles of its charming shore line.
It has never been regularly platted and laid out as a town.
It has two streets. The one that divides the place, running east and west, is called Lake street, and
the one running north and south is called Washington street.
On the north side of Lake street, about half-way from the village to the lake, was the wigwam of the
good Indian chief Neeswaugee, about opposite the residence of Peter Spangler.
The street should have been called "Nees-wau-gee avenue," to perpetuate the memory of the first owner
of all the land east and north of the street.
The village contains a store, blacksmith Shop, a church, a lodge of Odd Fellows, and contains a population
of perhaps 150.
For many years it had a post office but with the coming of the rural free delivery system it was
discontinued and the people now receive their mail by free delivery
A listing of postmasters for "Maxinkuckee" was found and listed below in the chronological history of the
1857 - 20 Mar - Eli Parker, Postmaster
The Maxinkuckee post office was established about 1858... Mail was carried from there to
Plymouth by a route connecting the two offices; later by route beginning at Marmont
now Culver and running via Maxinkuckee and Sligo to Plymouth; still later by route from Marmont
to Plymouth via Maxinkuckee and Wolf Creek.
Capt. Ed Morris was the
mail contractor and drove this route for a number of years, during the latter part of which service
the route was lengthend to include Monterey and Winamac. - Sep 4 1957 - Citizen
1860 - the Census lists Maxinkuckee Post Office starting page 171 ending page 173
1193 1203 Harris, Roben Farmer
1194 1204 Thompson, George Farmer
1195 1205 Duff, A Laborer
1196 1206 Owens, Syniar Farmer
1196 1206 Owens, W W Farmer
1197 1207 Vorces [Vories], David B Farmer
1198 1208 Nichols, Ebenezer Male Farmer
1199 1209 Mosher, Jeremiah Male
1200 1210 Sedia, Dan Farmer
1201 1211 Thompson, Wm Farmer
1202 1212 Densworth, Wm Farmer
1203 1213 Tiles, Curad
1204 1214 Holson, Thomas
1205 1215 Morris , Wm
1206 1216 Morris, I N Farmer
1207 1217 Duff, John Farmer
1862 - 6 Jun - Abraham W Bogardus, Postmaster
1865 - 10 Jun - Harvey Atkinson, Postmaster
1870 - the Census for Union Township seems to all be thorugh Argos Post Office (which is atually
Green township) even for town of Uniontown or Marmont.
1870 - List of Post Offices and Postmasters in the United States: Revised and
Corrected to Sept. 1, 1870
Maxinkuckee, Marshall, Indiana postmaster's salary was $23
1871 - 4 May - Jasper L Atkinson, Postmaster
1872 - May 2 - Maxinkuckee, In., is a beutifful village, situated on the east bank of
Mxinkuckee Lake. The inhabitants claime to have all that is necessary to render life a blessing.
They find that whisky is non-essential, and therefore completley done wawy with it;
but have a
No. 1 School
Sae and Grist Mill,
Wagon and Blacksmith Shop
Odd Fellows Lodge,
good schools, much babies, plenty of wheat and bread, and som gospel. - The Weekly Republican
1872 - 4 Sep - William Jackson, Postmaster
1873 - 28 Apr - George W Klein, Postmaster
1873 - 29 Aug - Eli Parker, Postmaster
1874 - 17 Sep - Jonathan F Wise, Postmaster
As identified in the 1880 census, the Village of Maxinkuckee had 13 households:
Bigley, Thomas family. Farmer. Mother, Amelia Smith living with family.
Wise, Jonathan family. Retail merchant (in partnership with Parker)
Parker, Eli family. Farmer & Merchant
Benedict, Aaron family. Farmer & Miller (saw/grist)
Stevens, Oliver P. family. Physician. Son, Adin, was a teacher
South, William family. Farm laborer
Hissong, Samuel family. House carpenter
Hay, Susan family. Housekeeper, included two boarders
Foss, William family. Shoemaker
Edwards, Edward family. Hotel keeper, included five hired hands for hotel
Spangler, Peter family. Farmer, included Abraham Bogardus and William Easterday (farm laborer)
Miles, John C. family. Farmer
Miles, Daniel family. Farmer
1882 - May 4 - A telephone line will be built from here [Argos] to Maxinkuckee this
summer, and will be coonected with the exchange here [Argos] - Agros Reclector
1883 - Oct 18 - The Indianapolis Journal is publishing from day to day a list of the pensioners for the
State of Indiana...The list for Marshall county, which appeared in the Bourbon Mirror last week...
Maxinkuckee - William Leonard, Henry Smith, Aziral Kilpatrick, James L. Mosher each 4; Catherine
Wise, Lavina McMilliam, Amelia Smith each 8; J. J. Smith 10; ELizabeth Snyder 20... - Argos Reflector.
1886, 7 Jan - Francis D Loudon, Postmaster
1887, 29 Apr - Adin V Stevens, Postmaster
1889 - 9 Nov - Dunham Parker, Postmaster
1887 - JUn 7 - Dan Bough, the incomparable house painter, is engaged on an all summer's job at
Maxinkuckee. There is considerable building being done there this season, and it it keeps on at
the same rater for several years, the famous inland watering place will bevome a thriving town -
1888 - Dec. 6 - There will be a dedication of the new Disciples Church at Maxinkuckee next
1889 - Jun 6 - ...the citizens of Green township are now engaged in grading and graveling their
roads extending from the township line westward for five or six miles, and they are becoming
entused on the subject of gravel rads as far west as Maxinkuckee and the day is not far distant
when it will be posssible to drive from the Lake to Argos over a soilid road bed... - Agros Reflector
1894 - 7 Apr - George W Kline, Postmaster
1895, - 8 Oct. - David O Wallace, Postmaster
1897 - May 27 - Frenandex is packing his stock for removel to Maxinkuckee where he will cater
to the wants of visitors to the famous lake resort - Argos Reflector
1897 - 16 Jun - Albert E Barnes, Postmaster
1897 - Dec 9 - That Electric Railroad. Matters Progressing Fairly - - Maxinkuckee Stirred
Up - - Want it to com their way. - - MaxinKuckee citizens are fully awake to the opportunity
offered them to become a center of attraction and prominence through the building of the
electric railroad around their way, and are going to give Culver a hard fight for it. A
committe of their citizens include Dr. Caple, Jas. South, HArvey Morris, "Doc" Lake, -- Barnes
and C. J. Loudon.... - Argos Reflector
|1898 - D of S Ch. [believe the abbreivations should be D of C which
would be Disciple of Christ Church but more research is needed
Could this be the
Maxinkuckee Christain Church?
1900 - Census was divided into Union township with no Post Office distinction and Culver Wards 1-3
1901 - 20 Dec - George Mc O Spangler, Postmaster
1903- Jan 16 - The post office is still retained at Maxinkuckee - Argos Reflector
1902 - Feb 1 - The Maxinkuckee post office was discontinued being merged into the Culver Post
Office; most of its patrrons being served by rural free delivery from that office.
1902 - Aug 7 - Maxinkuckee is not a back number, but is an up-to-date little rural rout town, with
four mercantile establishments
good school and chruches
telephone line, etc.
We can also boast of the daily passing by of the traction engine and the automobile, two vechiles
that make the same kind of horse scaring noise. Surley we are progressing toward having the
finest summer resort in the union. - Argos Reflector
1903 - Oct 1, 22 - For Sale or Rent - A six room cottage, wood house, barn, good well, cistern, water in
kitchen and every convenience, in the village of Maxinkuckee, Ind. Call and See me. - John C. Miles
1906 - May 24 - Catherine Parker etal w d to Christain Church Maxinkuckee lot in
Maxinkucke se q of nw q sec 23-32-1, $1
In 1908 mention is made of its name also being "Frizzle Town" in an article on Robert
McFarland, First Rural Mail Carrier
on the North:
Amelia Smith 80A
G. A. Peeples
Francis M. Parker 119A
On the south:
Thos J. Bigley 76.30A
A Z Caple
Store / I.O.O.F. <,br>
G/; A. Peeples 2 lots
A T Bebedict
O. P. Stevens
M. R. Cline
A. E Stevens
I A South
C. E. Hilbrary
John Hatcher 78.50A
George Peoples 77.12A
|Here is another version of the 1908 map which labels the building
in between N. T. Thompson and A. Overmyer as belong to
1908 - Jul 23 - The contract for the new school building at Maxinkuckee has
been let to Fred Thompsn for $2,559 - Argos Reflector
||After the new school was built down on the corner of Queen Rd. and 18th B
the village wood frame school house was converted into a home and over the years
been added onto, remolded or even torn down and another rebuilt in the schools
||A photo of the horse drawn school bus for the Maxinkuckee village school, taken in
1909 or 1910. The school building still stands at the corner of 18B and Queen Roads on
the northern corner of the Bigley orchard and farm property. Ira Mattix, according to
the caption here, was the driver.
|Lee Anson Overmyer
in front of his general store, opened in 1912 in the village of Maxinkuckee on the east side
of the lake. Anson also operated a "huckster wagon," possibly visible in the garage behind him,
from which he sold goods around the lake.
1913 - Feb 13 - Notice to Builders - The Maxinkuckee Lodge I.O.O.F. No. 353 proposes
to erect a new building. Plans and specifications for same are on file at the
residence of Adam Densmore. All ssealed bids to be recieved not later than February 22,
1913. The trustees reserve thright to reject any and all bids - the trustees
1914- Oct 15 - The Maxinkuckee Methodist Protestant church will be dedicated
||1922 Plat Map|
Thomas J. Bigley
Francis M. Parker acreage not stated
On south side:
C. G. Bigley
Harry & Emma C. Hissong
P. E. Stevens
G. D. & Ida Wolley
C. E Hibray
F. M. Parker 75.12A; Acreage not states; 23.91
John Hacker 78.50A
|The 1922 map labels both churches in 1922 the one is labeled
meth. church and sits on the property owned by N. Thompson in 1908 and the
other is labeled simply "church" but the 1898 plat map labels it as as "D of S Ch"
A 1935 photo of the Methodist church.
A general store was located diagonally across from the 1908 school on the south and was
operated by Eli Parker and John Wise. Anson Overmyer was the next owner. An the IOOF
(Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge) held their meetings on the seconf floor of th building
and had access by an iron stairway on the east, outside of the building. It eventually was torn down
and is only represented by a bare lot today.
|This is the "chruch" as labeled on the 1922 map (not the methodist);
the 1898 plat map label's it as "D of S Ch"
The Maxinkuckee church was discontinued in the mid-1960's
Rev William C.R. Sheridan retired in 1987 and moved to a Culver area known as Maxinkuckee.
He and Rudith remodeled the former country church into a comfortable home preserving
most of the church features with English-style flower gardens. A two car garage was added beside it.
David B. Burns done some of the stone work there at that time.
| The Bell of the church was donated to the Culver Fire Department and is
now has a permentanet home at the Fireman's Memorial. Before that it was installed on a
beam above a planter on the east side of the building at 504 Lake Shore
Maxinkuckee School sometime afer 1936 when it closed as by picture it seems the bell tower
windows have been bricked shut
||Maxinkuckee School today. Built in 1908. It closed in 1936. At the corner of 18B and Queen Road
on what was a part of "Bigley's Orchard" and owned for years by them. The property is now
is now owned by another |
||Bigley's Orchard - –
which operated from 1929 to 2000 and won recognition from the state of Indiana as a Hoosier
Homestead farm in 1978 |
as a whole
area to village
|The area today as platted. The village plat remains basically the same as it was in 1922|
| 16600 18B RD American Four Square c. 1925
1964 - House being moved From Frank Hale Site
[1290 E Shor Dr.]
The roadside dweilling, located on the property known as the Frank Hale property,
East Shore Drive was moved this week to a new location. It is being moved to a
lot just west of the Maxinkuckee Church by Cleo Wynn.
It is understood that extensive remodeling and additions will be built after the
dwelling is placed on a new foundation.
There is a grassroots project established to restore/preserve the remainder of Maxinkuckee Village and its
"Maxinkuckee Preservation" by Kurt West