One Township's Yesterdays Chapter XXVII
Alwin [ALVIN] and MILA FLAGG, with their family, settled in this county in 1848, locating in Union Township, in the woods near Lake
Maxinkuckee, where both parents afterward died.
In the early forties they had settled in Miami County, removing from their native State of New York.
Alwin [ALVIN] FLAGG was born in New York, August 11, 1799, and died in Marshall County in May of 1853. His wife, Mila
FLAGG, possessed the same family name as his own. She was born in New York, May 13, 1805, and died in this county in 1855. Alwin [Alvin]
and Mila FLAGG were married in New York in October of 1838. There were four children, one of whom died early. In their deaths, the
parents left three orphan children,
William H. J.
William, the oldest, was born in Miami County, January 28, 1842. The parents gone, it was he who assumed the duty of looking after and
rearing the other children, and held the old homestead till 1871, when it was sold at an advantage. In '65 he enlisted in the Union
army. Soon came the close of the war, and he was discharged in September of that year, returning to this county.
He was married in 1871, his wife, JULIA A. FLAGG, being a native of Ohio, born in 1849. There were three children.
Mr. FLAGG followed the carpentry trade up to 1884, when he built an eating house at the Nickel Plate depot in Argos. Later, he became
proprietor of the Argos House, which he ran two years, and finally he engaged in the lumber business in that community.