One Township's Yesterdays Chapter XXVII
Among the pioneers of this comity was NATHANIEL GANDY, the elder.
His son, Nathaniel the second, may be counted as a pioneer also .... of the present community of Culver, which was known as Uniontown
when he, as a mere infant, arrived in this neighborhood. The parents, NATHANIEL and JANE (CONEY) GANDY, were both natives of Indiana
and pioneers of Jay County.
The father moved into Marshall County in 1846, farming for about ten years thereafter, in Polk Township, then transferred his. home
and farm interests to Union Township. He died at Culver in his eighty-fifth year. He was a member of the United Brethren Church.
His wife, the mother of Nathaniel the second, was a native of Cumberland County, New Jersey, and lived to be over eighty-four.
Nathaniel and Jane GANDY were the parents of thirteen children. The sixth child of the family was Nathaniel the second, who was born
in Jay County, Indiana, January 2, 1846, and who was one year old when the family located in what is now Culver. He grew up in this
community, farmed before the Civil War, and then enlisted in the 33rd Indiana Regiment of Volunteer Infantry, Company F. He served to
the close of the war, was honorably discharged and returned to his farming. From 1887 to 1897 he conducted a livery business in Culver,
His death occurred in Culver, December 8, 1914, at the age of sixty-eight. From the time of the settlement of the family close to
the waters of Maxinkuckee to that of the death of the son, the name of GANDY was prominently linked with affairs of this section.
Prior to 1880, NATHANIEL GANDY, Sr., had over 86 acres of land northeast of the lake, near the BUCKLEW Cemetery.
Marion Augusta, a granddaughter of the pioneer, passed away, September 10, 1934, at the age of fifty-seven. She was the wife of IRVIN
SWIGART, and had lived most of her life in the GANDY Corner residence at Main Street and Lake Shore Drive in Culver.