One Township's Yesterdays Chapter XXVIII
The name of CAVENDER appears in the list of the Union Township settlers who came soon after the middle of the Nineteenth Century.
Edward CAVENDER was a native of Clinton County, New York, and was born April 20. 1822. He resided in Ohio from the time he was eight
years old till his first marriage, which was to MAGDALENA ALBRIGHT, when he removed to Cass County, Indiana. There his wife died,
the mother of one child
In that county EDWARD CAVENDER engaged in farming for some years, then removed into Marshall County and located on a farm near Poplar
Grove, Union Township. This farm comprised ninety acres. He cleared and improved it himself, and in 1866 settled on the land, which
early in the Twentieth Century was the homestead of his son.
The second marriage of EDWARD CAVENDER was to HANNAH E. WICKIZER, who was born in Ohio, December 31, 1825, and was reared and educated
in that State. She was the mother of two sons and three daughters, all born in Union Township. These children were:
Katherine (Mrs. C. M. STATER)
Anna (wife of ZIBA TRUAX, a farmer)
John C. (of Hobart, Indiana)
Effie (Mrs. J.B. GURTHET, deceased)
Jacob (of Union Township).
EDWARD CAVENDER died at the age of eighty-five. Hannah E. CAVENDER died at Rutland, May 8, 1903, at the age of seventy-seven.
Jacob one of the sons was born October 24, 1863, and lived at home, maintaining the old family homestead to which his father had
removed with his family, when Jacob was but three years of age. This place consisted of 2 acres and good buildings. Jacob was
married, August 1, 1889, to EFFIE E. PENCE, a native of Jewell County, Kansas.
The CAVENDER lands in the 'seventies were in the Rutland neighborhood; in fact, portions of them were where the community now stands.
On the village site, E. CAVENDER had twenty acres. South of it, around District School No. 5, E. CAVENDER had about thirty acres.
And just southeast of Rutland, there, were approximately 78 acres in the name also of CAVENDER. To the north of Rutland, W. CAVENDER
had 99 acres.
There was living until comparatively recent years a Civil War veteran by the name of SOLOMON CAVENDER. He was of another family of
CAVENDERs, it is said, and was no near relation.
He was horn in Ohio, March 11, 1848. In the beginning of the Civil War, he enlisted when but a lad of fifteen, and remained in the
service until the close of the war. A few years later he came to Indiana. After the war he taught in Allen, Fulton and Marshall
SOLOMON CAVENDER was married, September 25, 1851, to EMMA ESTELLE HARTMAN of Rutland. She was the daughter of LEWIS and SARAH HARTMAN,
and was horn near Tiffin, Ohio, July 16, 1563.
Soon after their marriage, SOLOMON and EMMA CAVENDER united with the M. E. Church at Poplar Grove. They became efficient church
workers and rarely missed a service.
To them were born seven children, four sons and three daughters. One of the daughters died in infancy. The other six were:
Claude C. (Plymouth)
Henry W. (Mishawaka)
Arthur R. (Chicago)
Russell (Milroy, Ind.)
Esther M. (of Knightstown)
Mary L. (of Knightstown)
EMMA (HARTMAN) CAVENDER preceded her husband in death. She passed away December 11, 1901. SOLOMON CAVENDER died October 1, 1911, in
his sixty-third year. At the time of his passing, he was in the Soldiers _ Home at Marion. The funeral and burial were at Poplar
Grove. He had served as a private in Co. A, 19th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was a member of HENRY SPEYER Post, G. A. R.,