Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

One Township's Yesterdays Chapter XXVIII  



MOSHER

JEREMIAH MOSHER was born and reached years of maturity in the Empire State, but was married in Rutland County, Vermont to SARAH M. CRAINE, a native daughter of that State. They became the parents of seven children, four sons and three daughters, two of whom were born in Marshall County, Indiana.

Their early married life was spent, in Erie County, New York. In 1855, Jeremiah emigrated with his family to Indiana and established his home in Starke County where he purchased a farm of 250 acres. After spending three years there the family came on to Marshall County, this being in 1858, and Mr. MOSHER bought 160 acres in Union Township. The land was then in its primitive state, but with the aid of his sons he in time cleared and improved it, and also added thereto a tract of eighty acres. This pioneer, JEREMIAH MOSHER, died in 1892 on his farm at the age of sixty-two. His wife survived him two years, dying in 1884.

JAMES L. MOSHER, son of Jeremiah and Sarah, was born in Erie County, New York, February 18, 1942, and came to Indiana when he was thirteen years of age. In his boyhood days he attended both the district and subscription schools of Union Township and assisted in clearing and cultivating the home farm. Being the oldest son, he was in early life obliged to contribute his share toward working the farm and supporting the family, which limited his schooling principally to a few months' attendance each winter at the country schools. He was married in 1862 to SARAH J. THOMPSON, who was born in Union Township, the daughter of one of the earliest pioneers, WILLIAM E. THOMPSON She was the eldest of the Thompson children. In 1862, the same year he was married; JAMES MOSHER enlisted in the Union Army and saw active and gallant service until his discharge in 1865, when he returned to his Marshall County home. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. MOSHER located on their homestead farm of eighty acres, and here their five children were born [of which are].
    Ada B.
      became the wife of JOHN C. BUTLER, county surveyor in the latter part of the Nineteenth Century. Both are living in 1934 northeast of Lake Maxinkuckee.
    Mariam, became the wife of T. M. WALKER of Green Township
    Tracy, a son, remained on the home farm


The MOSHER lands in the 'seventies were on the east side of the Hibbard-Lake Maxinkuckee road. J. L. and M. F. MOSHER had eighty acres, and M. F MOSHER forty acres south and adjoining South of this yet, M. F. MOSHER had a twenty acre tract, also 140 acres, and a long strip along the roadside consisting of forty acres was in the name of J. L. MOSHER.

On his homestead farm south of Hibbard, JAMES L. MOSHER passed to his eternal rest, May 16, 1926, at the age of eighty-four, and was buried just a little way over the rolling hills in the old Bucklew Cemetery.






Today is