One Township's Yesterdays Chapter XXIX
The SPEYER family came to this part of the country late in the 'sixties or early in the 'seventies. HENRY and MARGARET (PICKENS) SPEYER,
with their children, removed from New York to Marshall County in 1869. (THOMPSON's history states that HENRY SPEYER moved to Marmont
A merchant by occupation, HENRY SPEYER, the elder, became identified with the commercial interests of the village of Marmont upon his
He was a soldier in the Civil War, serving first in the Twenty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry for three months, and later
re-enlisting for three years, but was honorably discharged before the expiration of his term of service on account of sickness. He
entered the service as a private soldier, but for gallant and meritorious conduct was promoted to Captain of his company, which rank
he held at the time of his discharge.
He was a local politician of considerable note, and at one time was the Republican candidate for the office of Clerk of the Circuit
HENRY SPEYER, the elder, died in August, 1886, at Marmont, and was buried in Wheeler Cemetery, Plymouth. MARGARET SPEYER, the widow,
died November 19, 1901, and was laid to rest beside her husband in Wheeler Cemetery.
The children of Henry and Margaret Speyer were seven in number, five of whom survived their father:
Jacob, who was a merchant of New York City
Sarah, the wife of HENRY MAXWELL of New York City
Eva, the wife of WILLIAM PORTER of Marmont
Marion, the widow of ANDREW KORK of Marmont
Henry M., now a retired citizen of Culver.
HENRY M. SPEYER was a native of Kentucky, born September 3, 1863. He resided in New York till he was six years of age, when his
parents, removed to Marshall County. He was educated in the public schools of Plymouth, and spent his early years assisting his
father in various mercantile enterprises. He began business at Marmont as successor to his father, under whom he had received
his training prior to becoming a member or the firm. He became a successful businessman, and member of the firm of Nussbaum,
Mayer & Co., of Marmont, in the 'eighties. Early in the Twentieth Century he became a member of the general merchandising firm
of Porter & Co., of Culver, and treasurer of the local school board. Previously, for several years, he was president of the
board. The school building, completed in 1906, was of much credit to the business methods of Mr. SPEYER.
HENRY M. SPEYER was also treasurer of the Town of Culver and for eight years, under appointments of Presidents HARRISON and
Mckinley, served as Postmaster at Culver. His first appointment came in August, 1889.
After his father's death, he continued his mercantile pursuits, and it was not until recent years that he gave up all occupation
In 1890, HENRY M. SPEYER was married to MARY PEEPLES, daughter of GEORGE and CAROLINE PEEPLES. She was a native of Marshall County,
her parents having settled in Union Township at a rather early date. GEORGE PEEPLES owned considerable lake-front property on
Maxinkuckee. His land was in the northeastern corner of the lake and extended from the present WENNERSTROM residence to the
Culver Military Academy grounds. Some of his land was sold to the Academy.
HENRY M. and MARY SPEYER are the parents of seven children. All members of the family are living.