One Township's Yesterdays Chapter XXIX
The WILSON family came to this township in the early 'sixties. ABIJAH WILSON, the pioneer, and his wife Elizabeth were natives of
New York and Virginia, respectively. They moved to Pulaski County, Indiana, in 1841, having been previously located in Shelby County.
Ohio. ABIJAH WILSON followed farming and brick-making in Pulaski County, and resided there until his removal to Marshall County, in
1863, He located in Union Township, and for some time thereafter operated a sawmill near Lake Maxinkuckee, in connection with
ABIJAH WILSON passed away in 1881, leaving a widow, the mother of nine children, seven of whom grew to maturity. Five of these were
living as late as 1890:
LEONARD WILSON was born in Shelby County, Ohio, April 9, 1841, was reared to agricultural pursuits in Pulaski County, Indiana, and
obtained a common school education. In 1862 he entered the army as private in Company B, 87th Indiana Infantry, with which he served
until the close of the war. "While in the service," says THOMPSON, "he participated in a number of bloody battles, including Spring
Hill, Perryville, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, and numerous others, in one of which he received a painful wound. At the expiration of
his term of service he returned to Indiana, and in 1865 became a resident of Marshall county, settling in Union township, where he
engaged in the vocation of farming, in which he met with well deserved success.
In 1871 Miss MARY E. RUGGLES, daughter of GEORGE and ELIZABETH (HITTLE) RUGGLES, became his wife, to which marriage have been born
(by 1890) five children, whose names are as follows:
Mr. WILSON was an active member of the Patrons of
Husbandry fraternity, in which he filled nearly every office, and belonged to Tibbett's Post, No. 260, G. A. R., of Plymouth. He and
his wife were identified with the Protestant Methodist Church. The death of Leonard Wilson occurred at Culver, April 2, 1919. He
lacked only seven days of being seventy-eight. Burial was in Poplar Grove Cemetery.
Just east of old Maxinkuckee village, along the highway, in early times were located the lands of LEONARD WILSON and his father,
Abijah. On the north side of the road were 35 acres in the name of L. WILSON. The tile factory, operated by the WILSONs in those
days, was situated on this plot of land. East of it, also on the north side of the highway, A. WILSON had 85 acres of ground.