I Remember When...
||Culver Resident and author John Houghton wrote a column in 1974-75 for the Culver Citizen, focusing on Culver History.
With his permission, this will be a start of reprinting his articles from that series (photo from The Hill School - www. thehill.org )|
Culver Resident and author John Houghton wrote a column in 1974-75 for the Culver Citizen, focusing on Culver History.
With his permission, this will be a starte of reprinting his articles from that series
John William Houghton
- Academic Employment:
- 2007, Aug - Present - The Hill School, Pottstown, PA chaplain, chair and instructor of religious studies and philosopy
- 1975-1976: Assistant Instructor in English; Assistant Counselor Culver Military Academy, Culver , IN
- 1977-1978: Instructor in English Riverside Military Academy, Gainesville, GA
- 1978-1987: Instructor in English and Theology; Neville-Parry Chair in English and Department Chairman;
Chair, Faculty Executive Committee; Chair, Faculty Advisory Committee on Search for a Headmaster
John Burroughs School, Ladue, MO
- 1993-1994: Teaching Fellow, Freshman Writing Seminar University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
- 1994-1999: Instructor in English and History Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School, Ladue, MO
- 1999-2004: Chaplain; Chair, Department of Religious Studies; Director, Honors Diploma Program; Instructor in English and Religion
The Episcopal High School of Baton Rouge, Baton Rouge, LA ; Chair, Department of Religious Studies
- 2005- : Chair, Department of English The Canterbury School, Fort Wayne, IN
Rough Magicke (Bloomington: Unlimited Publishing, 2005)
Falconry and Other Poems (Bloomington: Unlimited Publishing, 2003)
Baldor’s Saga, a play in alliterative verse
- Columnist - Culver Citizen:
"I Remember When..."
“It’s Still the Lake Water.”
- ordained a priest in the Episcopal Church on the feast of St. Bede the Venerable, May 25, 2007
Attended Culver Elelmentary School, K-8
Culver Military Academy
A.B. in English cum laude in English and American Language and Literature, from Harvard College, 1975
9-12, Class of 1971
A.M. in English from Indiana University, 1977
M.A.R. in theology summa cum laude from Yale Divinity School, 1989
Diploma in Anglican Studies from Berkeley Divinity School at Yale, 1989
M.M.S. in medieval studies from the University of Notre Dame; 1991
Ph.D. in medieval studies from the University of Notre Dame 1994
Dissertation: Bede's Exegetical Theology: Ideas of the Church in the Acts Commentaries of St.
Bede the Venerable (Director, John Cavadini)
Hillcrest Medical Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Clinical Pastoral Education Internship, 2004
- Academic Publications:
- “Tolkien, King Alfred and Boethius: Platonist Views of Evil in The Lord of the Rings,” with Neal K. Keesee, Ph.D.,
Tolkien Studies 2 (2005), 131-159.
- Abstracts for The Year’s Work in Old English Studies, 2003 (for 2000).
- “Twice-Told Tales: Teaching Medievalisms to High School Seniors,” Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Teaching, 9:2 (Fall, 2002),
- “Augustine in the Cottage of Lost Play: The Ainulindalë as Asterisk Cosmogony,” in Tolkien the Medievalist, ed. Jane Chance
(Medieval Religion and Culture) (London: Routledge, 2002), 171-182.
- “St. Bede among the Controversialists: A Survey,” American Benedictine Review 50 (1999), 397-422.
- “No Bishop, No Queen: Queens Regnant and the Ordination of Women,” Anglican and Episcopal History 47 (1998), 2-25.
- “Bede and His World” (review), Libraries and Culture 32 (1997), 132-133.
- “Bede," ORB: The Online Reference Book for Medieval Studies, 1996
- Encyclopedia of Catholicism (72 entries), (San Francisco: Harper Collins, 1995).
- “Augustine and the Ain ulindale,” Mythlore 79 (1995), 4-8.
- “The Old English Benedictine Office and its Audience,” American Benedictine Review 45 (1994), 431-445.
- “(Re)Sounding Brass: Alcuin's New Castings in the Questions and Answers on Genesis,” Proceedings of the
PMR Conference 16/17 (1992-1993), 149-161.
- “Mirabile dictu: The Medieval Text behind a Modern Window at Canterbury,” Scintilla 8 (1991), 70-86.
- “Commedia as Fairy-Story: Eucatastrophe in the Loss of Virgil," Mythlore 64 (1990), 29-34.
- “Rochester the Renewer: The Byronic Hero and the Messiah as Elements in the King Elessar,” Mythlore 39 (1984), 13-16.
- “The Augustinian Tradition: A Different Voice,” Religious Education 79 (1984), 184-191