1840 - March 1, 17 residents present petition requesting establishment of Union Township, as 5th civil township in Marshall County. From 1836-40,
area had been attached to Green Township. Name probably selected to perpetuate name of Union County, Indiana, former home of many
petitioners. New township was 6 sections (6 mile) wide, east-west; and 7 sections (7 mile) long, north-south Much of area heavily timbered, many
sections inaccessible because of marshland and lakes carving out many acres.
Culver's name has varied throughout the first years - on a plat map of 1843 it is found listed as Geneva. Then for a short time was known as Yellow
River Post Office which was ran by Mr. Kennedy.
At some point in time during this period it was also referred to as Birmingham - but no documentation for that name has been found
to day - maybe an abstract will turn it up.
||The the subdivision plats show Uniontown boundaries as represented in the image to the left. In 1844 it was plated and laid out by
Bayless L. Dickson,who owned farm bordering Northwest side of Lake Maxinkuckee, officially filed, on June 8, a 26-acre plat for a village, --
and became Union Town or Uniontown for the township it was within. Dickson's log cabin only dwelling on town plat roughly extends today
(Culver) from Mill Street, south to a bit north of Lake Shore Drive; from Lakeview-Plymouth Streets, east to Slate Street, west.|
|State of Indiana to Bayless L. Dickson
Certificate of Entry
The West half of Section 16-Tp. 32 N. R. 1 E. 150.76 Acres. Recorded in Tract Book No. 1 at Page 4.
Original Plat of Uniontown now Marmont, Indiana
Uniontown is pleasantly situated in the S.W.1-4 of Sec. 16-Tp. 32 N.R. 1 E. It is laid out in such a manner that it presents to
the eye a view of Lake Maxenkuckee and is surrounded with as good a country as can be found in Northern Indiana. It has the
advantage of three State and two County roads running through it. The lots are all 66 feet in width by 82 1-2 in 'breadth'. The
streets are all 66 feet in width. The alleys are 16 1-2.
Platted June 8' 1844. by Bayless L. Dickson Proprietor. Lots number from 1 to 51 inclusive. Left for record June 29' 1844 Recorded
Plat Book Page 10. Deed Record D page 88
Union Town resurveyed and transferred by Bayliss Dickson to his brother-in-law, Thomas K. Houghton.
Thus in 7 years Uniontown had expanded in size by 15 lots.
State of Indiana by Auditor of Marshall co. Ind.
Thomas K. Houghton, Assignee of John Houghton, Assignee
of Bayless L. Dickson
School Land Deed July 17' 1856.
Forty acres off from South end of W 1-2 of W 1-2 of Sec. 16-Tp. 32 N. ER. 1 E.
Received for record Nov. 11' 1858
Recorded in Deed Record M. page. 25.
Resurvey and New Plat of Uniontown (Now Marmont)
Uniontown resurveyed April 24' 1851 by Thomas K. Houghton, Proprietor, as follows: - 'Uniontown is situated in the S. corner of
16-32-1.E. Marshall County, Indiana, the S.E. corner of said section is the commencing point of the town plat; the streets are
all of a width being 66 ft. the alleys are 16 1-2 ft.; the lots are 66 feet in front and 99 feet back, so planned by the original
survey. All lines running North and South bear N. 0 degrees 10 min E. and those that run E and W. bear S. 89 degrees E. The
magnetic variation at this date is 5 degrees 10 min. E. This survey made and acknowledged by. Thos. K. Houghton Proprietor April
24' 1851. Recorded Plat Book No. 1 page 44. Recd. for record June 9' 1857. Lots run from 1 to 66 inclusive.
Upon request of Dr. G.A. Durr name of town changed from Union Town to Marmont, in honor of famed French General. Surveyed town became Houghton original plat. -
There were Eight streets in Marmont, - - Jefferson, Madison, Cass, Scott, Plymouth, Lake, Washington, Main.
A re-survey of the village was made on 24 April 1851 (but was not recorded until 1857) and its names was changed to Marmont, Dr.
Gustuvus A. Durr was the instrumental party in this name change.