Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Vandalia Railroad - Culver , Indiana Part 4 1890-1891



History of Indiana: Containing a History of Indiana and Biographical Sketches of Governors and Other Leading Men. Also a Statement of the Growth and Prosperity of Marshall County, Together with a Personal and Family History of Many of Its Citizens, Volume 2 Brant, Fuller, 1890 Pg. 442-443

    Union township has two railroads running through it the Terre Haute & Logansport or Vandalia railroad ...

    Terre Haute & Logansport Railroad

    Personal property   $
    30 00
    Improvements on right of way    
    1,035 00
    Main track 7 and 86 100 miles at $4,500 per mile   
    35,370 00
    Side track 1 and 73 100 miles at $1,500 per mile    
    2,595 00
    Rolling stock proportion    
    11,005 00
    Total    $
    50,035 00


1890 - Found in the 1890 Annual report is:
    $730.81 expended on the grounds at Marmont and $ 271.33 expended in repairing the Club House and cottages at same place. pg. 36 Forty-Third annual Report of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1890 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company

    The betterments and addition to the property the cost of which is included in the Maintenance of Way expenses were as follows:...

    new side tracks and extensions were as follows:

      feet  expense 
    Marmont Elevator  319  322.71 
    Totals     
         
    Less amount recieved from   
    H. G. Thayer & Son,   322.71   


    pg. 36-7 Annual Report of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1890 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company


The Lakeside Vandalia Park was established in early 1890 and another says 1889. The picture below was taken in August 1890 by John R. Hager and 48 years later was sent back to W. T. Parrish by John Truet Pennsy official in New York; information was written on the back by George E. Farrington one time Secretary of the Vandalia Railroad.

This photo by lake contours I would place near Long Point - it would be standing on the South somewhere probably near or below the present day public boat access landing.



The small distant building to the North along the track would then be the Arlington flag-stop and pick-up point for the Arlington hotel. This flag-stop was established soon after the railroad came through to service the Arlington Hotel and sat across the road from 670 West Shore Drive.


The Lake View Club was sold to the railroad at $16,00 and became the Lake View Hotel.


Some have given the date as early as 1890 of sale and as late as 1894/5 but the Lake View Club AKA Plymouth Club exact date of sale to the Vandalia Railroad has been found and is recorded as follows:
    The Vandalia Company has purchased the Plymouth Club house and grounds at Lake Maxinkuckee. The tract of ground contains eight acres and is the most desirable property at the lake. - Logansport Pharos April 23, 1891

    The T. H. and L. division of the Vandalia will hereafter have much better facilities at Lake Maxinkuckee than in the past, the company having bought out the property of the Plymouth Club at the head of the lake. There are fifteen acres in the tract which includes the beautiful bluff so much admired by all visitors. The consideration was $16,000. - Logansport Reporter April 24, 1891


1891 - Sunday, 29 August first Annual Excursion from Valparaiso to Lake Maxenkuckee


The excursion trains began to run to Lake Maxinkuckee once people found out about the scenic lake area and Culver and the lake became a bustling area during the - steamers wo uld transport the train passengers to all points on the lake.

1891 - In the Annual Report for 1891 is found:
Included in the expense of conducting transportation the sum of
    $148.43 for passenger sheds at Long Point, Lake Maxinkuckee
    $267.35 for fruit stand at Marmont Park
    $120.71 for repairing club house and cottages at Marmont.
    $221.10 for new passenger and coaling piers at Marmont

    The expenditure of ...over the previous year includes costs of litigation as follows:..; over opening roadway north of station at Marmont $567.25 - pgs. 38-40 Fourth-Fourth Annual Report of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1891 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company


Lee Appleton writes: "I have been doing some railroad research on the Logansport Crawfordsville & Southwestern/Terre Haute & Logansport/Vandalia Railroads and was reading the TH&L Annual Report from the year ending October 31, 1891

The Vandalia Railroad grounds included the depot, depot pier, here are some pictures:

and here are more pictures of the Vandalia Depot Pier.


the park and more scenes of the Vandalia Park are here;


the round stand often referred to as the gazebo; and here are more pictures of the round stand; the light house


and more pictures of the lighthouse here; and the boathouse. The following picture shows the depot to the left, round stand, light house and in the upper right the back corner of the boat house


and a structure that looks like the frame outline form of a school or church. This right now remains much of a mystery as to its use or purpose and which it really is.


and at the very east end of the Vandalia Park now referred to as the "Indiana Trails" was the Lakeview Hotel Grounds


Part One ~~ Part Two ~~ Part Three ~~ Part Four ~~ Part Five ~~ Part Six







Today is