Vandalia Railroad - Culver , Indiana Part 5 1892-1910
Names were given to the excursion trains one being the "Hootenanny". The old Pennsylvania rail line
I have heard over the years many a time referred to as the "Pumpkin Vine".
1892 - Found in the Annual report for 1892 :
The water tank at Marmont raised to furnish sufficient pressure for the hotel the expense $830.30.
pg. 39 Forty-fifth Annual Report of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail
Road Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1892 By Terre Haute &
Indianapolis Railroad Company
1893 - Mar 9 - New Hotel at Maxinkuckee
The vandalia railroad company recognizing the necessity of a more commodious
hotel at Lake Maxinkuckee over a year ago purchased the old Plymonth
club house and grounds, and will this seaaon build a fine hotel.
The building will be a frame structure 34x98 feet, to which will be added the old club house.
The flrst floor will consist of a reception room, 28x45; dining room, 30 x 30; office, 23x23; a
wash room and four-large bedrooms. On the aecond floor there will be twelve bed-rooms
constructed so as to be thrown into suits of three and four rooms.
The name of the new resort has not yet been decided upon. Frank Lampson, who conducted
the Lakeview last year, will taike charge as soon as the new building is completed, which will be
some time in May. Logansport Pharos Tribune
1893 - Found in the 1893 annual report was:
The new sidings and extensions were as follows:
| ||Feet ||Expense |
| Marmont frieght spur extension ||660 ||507.22 |
| Marmont pickle factory ||558 ||454.85 |
pg. 40 Forty-fifth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for
the Year Ending November 30 1893 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
The expense of the improvement to the hotel at Marmont is shown below:
| Engineer, plans etc. ||$ 103.86|
| Moving building, foundation etc. || 476.00|
| Piping, water and sewer || 230.07|
| Stairs, platforms, boat house and piers || 263.57|
| Smead Dry Closets (contract) || 300.00|
| Building and painting || 5,304.51|
The cost of this improvement was charged to Lease account.
pg. 41 Forty-fifth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis
Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1893 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis
There was no There was no excursion business at all to Lake Maxinkuckee. - pg. 37 Forty Fifth Annual
Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the
Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1893 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1894 - The Boat and Bath house that was built in 1886 and was purchased in 1894 by the Vandalia Railroad
when it took over the park. Monton H. Foss operated the Boat and Bath house.
1894 - Found in the 1894 annual report was:
Repairs were made to....and the turn table at Marmont was renewed at a cost of $265.40 pg. 35 Annual Report
of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company to the Stockholders for
the Year Ending November 30 1894 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
An advertisement for 1895 says that E. A. Forg was General Passenger agent and W. F. Burner was the
|1895 - this was an add in the Maxinkuckee Agriculture Booklet
|and heres a picture of the showing the depot with the canopies also of interesting note -
notice the double tracks? I as a kid in the 1960's I remember only one set of track running through the
park area. It would be interesting to find out when the one set of tracks were taken up.
1895 - Found in the 1895 annual report was:
Sidings at close of year with changes from previous year:
| || Length|
Oct 31, 1894
|Change Account |
Oct 31, 1895
|Marmont ||9,601 || || ||533 ||10,134 |
pg. 48 Forty Seventh Annual Report of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and
Indianapolis Rail Road Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1895
By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1896 - Vandalia-Pennsylvania
Summer Excursions Promo
1896 - May 1 - The Vandaliia R.R. Company are building a new power house at this
1896 - Jul 1 - Will Bruggaman, of the Vandalia offices, was at Lake Maxinkuckee
1896 - June 22 - After June 22. no trains will stop at Culver City for meals. The
Vandalia company will put on dining cars
1896 - July - 17 - J. J. Cornell, formerly “lightning slinger” at Ft, Wayne, is now
operator for the Vandalia Company at this place.
1896 - Jul 31 - Since the Pennsylvania system has assumed control of the Vandalia, it
has increased the freight rates at least two per cent, which greatly adds to the burden
the merchants and other business men are already carrying...
1896 - Oct - 16 - On Wednesday several of the moguls of the Vandalia System arrived
in Culver City in their special car and remained until Thursday. It is said they had
an important mission here, viz, to make arrangements for extensive improvements at this
place another season by the way of improving their property, and it was whispered upon
the sly that they whispered upon the sly that they contemplate building a large addition
to the company’s magnificent hotel, the Lake View. This would be a paying investment for
the company. Occupying one of the most picturesque and desirable positions on the lake,
it is a most delightf ul spot for the bon ton resorters; consequently it would, as at
present, receive the most liberal patronage, and if it could accommodate 1,000, could be
1896 - Oct 17 On Wednesday the head officials of the Vandalia system paid a visit to
Lake Maxinkuckee, and made a careful inspection of their property and surroundings.
The Herald says it is rumored that their visit means much for Culver City in the
way of improvements, one thing being the proposed enlargement of the Lake View
1896 - Marmont or Culver not mentioned in the Forty-eigth Annual Report of the of the
President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the
Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1896 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis
1896 - Nov - 27 - The Vandalia R. R. company has been placed in the hands of a
receiver ... J. Shugrue, the genial station agent at this place, made a flying
visit to Indianapolis Tuesday...
1896 - dec 18 - A. J. Knapp, the genial and very popular landlord of the Arlington
hotel, is again at his post as passenger conductor on the Vandalia. He is one of the
first conductors that road.
1897 - Feb 6 - It. is rumored that the Pan Handle company will give the Adams Express
Company the cold shake and organize a company of their own to operate on the lines
controlled by the Pennsylvania system. If such a move should be made the Adam Express
Co., would indeed receive a black eye, from the effects of which it would not soon
recover, as the Pennsylvania lines is one of its best customers.
1897 - April 2 - The water was drawn from the Vandalia water tank this week and the
1897 Aug 30 - Claud Copeland, Aged Sixteen
Leg Crashed by a Vandalia Special. Lake
1897 - Found in the 1897 Annual report is:
Sidings at close of year with changes from previous year:
Oct 31, 1896
Oct 31, 1897
|Culver ||10,134 || ---- || --- ||10,134 |
pg. 45 Forty-ninth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute
and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30
1897 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1897 - Dec 10 - A letter from Frank Huntsinger. train dispatcher, upon the Vandalia system,
states that all persons who desire at any time to return from South Bend or Plymouth to Culver
upon the evening freight train, will upon their arrival in said cities, notify the ticket agent
at South Bend or Plymouth of their intention of returning upon the evening freight, and their
wish will be granted This will be but little trouble and assures each person that can return
the same day, from either of said cities. But any person who desires to go south of Culver will
not be allowed to ride
1898 - Feb 25 - The Vandalia rail way company is now engaged in removing 2,000
loads of gravel from the gravel pit. - Culver Herald
1898 - Aug 19 - Dave Swigert now has charge of the depot grounds in place of Al
Gaudy, who has resigned, and with bis family has moved to Plymouth.
1898 Nov. - Found in the 1898 Annual report is:
Station Repairs:...The loss in operating the Lakeview Hotel at Culver was $824.89.
a decrease of $164.19. Cinder platforms were built at...Culver , 3,300 square feet...
pg. 57 Fifieth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute
and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30
1898 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
Sidings at close of year with changes from previous year:
| || Length|
Oct 31, 1897
Oct 31, 1898
|Culver ||10,134 ||480 ||504 ||10,110 |
At Culver the Academy track was extended 480 feet costing $385.00 This expense was borne
by the Academy pg. 49 & 60 Fifieth Annual Report of the President and Directors of the
Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending
November 30 1898 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1899 - Mar 10 - SOUTH BEND ON Y
Vandalia Trains Make That City Their Northern Terminus.
The Vandalia trains through Culver run no further than South Bend, the line north of that city having
fallen into new hands who will operate it uuder the name of the St. Joseph, South Bend and Southern.
For the present it will be an independent line, but most likely it will eventually become a part of some
other system, probably the Three
The Vandalia has made no change in its time table, its train simply running to South Bend and no further.
How long the new arrangement will be continued is not known, but it isnot likely the company will be satisfied
to be shut out of northern territorv. Two plans are open to it. Either to build a fifty mile link to Bicksburg,
Mieh., aud there connect wiyh the Grand Rapids & Indiana, a Pennsylvania line, or to secure control of a
new road running from Benton Harbor to South Beud, all of which has been built except about thirteen
By the change the passenger train crews will lay over at Logansport instead of South Bend. The runs will
now be from Terre Haute to South Bend and back to Logansport
1899 - May 12 - The Vandalia repair gang is in town making repairs upon the railroad grounds, R . R. Cottages,
1899 - Jun 16 The little child that was run over by a freight train near the Arlington Hotel sometime since
is convalescing rapidly. Eighteen freight cars passed over the child’s body, but luckily, it escaped serious
injury.... Never in the history of Culver have the railroad grounds been so artistically beautified as at the
present time. A large force of men have been at work upon the the grounds under the management of a master,
hence they present a magnificent appearance. A large pole has been raised upon the banks of the lake,
from the top of which wave the Stars and Stripes. In fact- the grounds are admired by all lovers of the
1899 Company on December 31 1899 The Terre Haute and Logansport Railway Company owns and since December 1
1898 has operated the property formerly owned by the Terre Haute and Logansport Railroad Co ....
... as a result of a judicial sale thereunder at Crawfordsville Indiana on November 18 1898 the property was
acquired by the Terre Haute and Logansport Railway Company in payment for which the last named Company
delivered to the purchaser at such judicial sale $2,000,000 of its capital stock and agreed to deliver
$1,060,000 of its 4 per cent 5O year mortgage bonds and as many more as sho uld be needed to equal the amount
which sho uld finally be found necessary to complete the purchase of said railroad ... pg. 5 First Annual
Report of Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 1999. Terre Haute & Logansport
Railway Co. - no mention of Culver in the annual report is made.
1900 - jan 26 We understand that the vandalia R. R. Companv will erect a large addition to the Lake View Hotel
this spring, and make a vast amount of improvements at the lake. The large water tank will, it is said, be
moved upon the hill near the hotel which will be used for watering the grounds etc. By this move no trains
will take water at Culver, but at Plymouth. Parties are triming the trees in the railroad park in a scientific
manner, which will look very beautiful im the Spring - Culver Herald
1900 - may 18 - The Vandaha R. R. company has has put in a new pier, and is also cleaning up tho grounds around
the Lake View Hotel and in Vandalia Park. Culver Herald
1900 Second Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 1900. Terre
Haute & Logansport Railway Co. - no mention of Culver in the annual report is made.
1900 - Frank Handy was the railroad agent.
1900 - May 25 - Under the supervision of Quinn, the Vandalia depot, parks have been cleaned up and put in
better shape than ever before, and now present a most beautiful appearance. About June 1st the flowers
will be “set out” and other work performed which will add additional beauty to the park scenery. The
company has put in a new pier this spring and all in all, there never was a time when the surrounding of the
lake front near the depot were more attractive - Culver Herald
1901 Third Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 1901.
Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co. - no mention of Culver in the annual report is made.
1902- Found in the Fourth annual report was:
The charges to Construction and Equipment paid for out of new capital was as follows:...Picnic grove purchased
at Culver 4,524.90 - pg. 10 Fourth Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year
Ending December 31, 19O2. Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co.
In order to provide facilities for entertaining picnic parties at Lake Maxinkuckee during the summer season and
also to prevent the probable purchase of the property by undesirable parties it was thought best to purchase an
oak grove of about ten acres fronting the lake and adjacent to the company's station and property Several expensive
improvements authorized - pg. 11 Fourth Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For
Year Ending December 31, 19O2. Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co.
Passing track.... 4,210.55
pg. 12 Fourth Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 19O2.
Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co.
Pumping Station.. 4,239.42
1903 - Jan 21 - Killed by the Cars.
Saturday afternoon, a freiggt train No. 25 northbound, p ulled into Culver ; and had occasion to
switch a car onto the ice-house switch; As the car neared the ice houses, it , left the track.
A brakeman by the name of Bill Klinselsmith, was standing upon the ladder on the side of the
car, and while motioning for the engineer to stop the train did not see his danger.
In the meantime the derailed car shot across into a car standing on the main line catching the
brakeman between the two cars and literally crushed the lower portion of his body in a shapeless
mass, He was taken to the depot and the company’s physician, Dr. Wiseman was called who
rendered all the medical aid possible, but in spite of tender care he died in about two hours
after the accident.
The unfortunate man was about 27 years of age and had been breaking for the Vandalia
Company about two years.
W. E. Easterday Culver's undertaker, prepared the body for burial, and Sunday conveyed the
remains to North Liberty, where his widowed mother resided.
Funeral occured Tuesday afternoon
He leaves a mother, four sisters a brother to mourn their loss; besides a large circle of friends.
It is rumored that he was a married man, but up to date the report has not been
1903 - May 21 - The stone forming the edge of the walks at the depot grounds is
being removed by Foreman Washburn and men. Cut sod borders will be used this season. The rock
that is removed will be used to build a sea wall down near the ice houses
The 28 May 1903 issue of the Culver Citizen announced:
Gravel walks are being put in at the depot grounds and at the Lakeview cottages. All the flowers are
planted and Foreman Washburn expects to have everything in first class order by the last of the week.
F. S. Carl was in town last week superintending the work of laying about 3000 feet of mains for the
Vandalia R.R. Co. The mains will be layed from the water tank on Bunker Hill to the Lake View Hotel
and Kreutzgerger's park. He wil also run a main along the switch north of the depot fo the purpose of
29 Oct 1903 - found in the Culver Citizen was:
A large 75 ft steel turntable has been unloaded on the siding north of the Lake View Hotel and will be
sit up for the convience of the excursion engines. The old wooden turnable opposite of the Kruezberger
Park will be torn out and the siding taken out.
1903 - In 1903 the railroad replaced the wooden turnable with a new steel one and dismantled the wooden
one and also built was octagonal bandstand in its park.
1903 - Found in the Fifth annual report was:
Paving sidewalks at Culver ............. $72.20
New ice houses at hotel at Culver ...... 669.07
Hotel and cottages at Culver repaired.. 618.89
Fifth Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 19O3.
Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co.pg. 8
Pumping station...... 498.18
pg. 9 Fifth Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 19O3.
Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co.
By the annual reports from 1899-1903 - The railroad continued to be operated under the direction of Volney
T Malott as trustee in connection with the lines of the Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company of which
he is the Receiver. With the Obligation due Pennsylvania Railroad Company at 4 per annum on $1,060,000.00
The Vandalia Railroad
was incorporated under the general
laws of Indiana and Illinois through filing with the secretaries of state of those States on December 29, 1904,
and December 31, 1904, respectively, an agreement dated December 29, 1904, for the purpose of consolidating the
properties, rights, and franchises of The Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company, The St. Louis, Vandalia
and Terre Haute Railroad Company, The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company, the Logansport & Toledo Railway
Company, and the Indianapolis and Vincennes Railroad Company. This agreement became effective January 1, 1905
this became known as the Michigan Division of the Vandalia. The Vandalia subsequently acquired, through direct
purchase, the property, rights and franchises of the St. Clair Coal Railway Company, by deed dated January 3,
1904 - Mar 17 - Griffith, Terre Haute’s leading florist, has the contract to furnish the flowers for Vandalia
Park this year.
1904 - May 5 - The pit for the new 50 foot steel turn-table is being prepared. It will be connected by a spur with
the side track north of the Lake View Hotel - - The Vandaiia Park yardmen are removing all the old dirt from the
flower beds and tilling in with good black soil from the Wabash river bottoms. - - The Vandaiia Park sheds are being
roofed with tar paper. This will make the sheds more useful, as heretofore they afforded but little protection to
excursionists in rainy weather. .
1904 May 19 -The oId turn table and switch near Kreuzbergers Park were taken out this week - - Griffith, the Terre
Haute florist, is putting out. the flowers in Vandalia Park this week
1905 - Jan 5 - The Terre Haute, Logansport and South Bend railroad is now a part of the Vandalia railroad property.
The change took place the first of the year
The 'Vandalia Railroad' was formed in 1905 by a merger of several lines in Indiana and Illinois including the Terre
Haute & Indianapolis Rail Road and the St. Louis, Vandalia & Terre Haute Railroad which covered a route from
Indianapolis, Indiana to St. Louis, Missouri. Another route between Terre Haute, Indiana and Toledo, was created
with the inclusion of the Terre Haute & Logansport and Logansport & Toledo branches
1905 - Apr 6 - The big Vandalia railroad mortgage has been recorded at the court house and at every county seat
along its line. According to the instrument the Farmers’ Loan and Trust Company of New York have advanced them
$25,000.00 and taken as security all the rights of way, rolling stock, buildings and all property of any kind
belonging to the consolidated railroads, which are: The Terre Haute and Indianapolis R. R. Co.; the St. Louis,
Vandalia and Terre Haute; the Terre Haute and Logansport; the Logansport and Toledo; and the Indianapolis and
Vincennes. The money will be used to pay outstanding bonds and for buying additional railways.
1905 - Apr 13 - The Vandalia railroad company is making some extensive improvements upon the depot grounds and
sheds. A brick pavement will cover all that part formerly laid with plank. The company under its new management
will give us better service than before which ought to be of great help to the lake trade.
1905 - May 6 - The new walks at the Vandalia depot are nearing completion and are adding much to the comfort
and beauty of the place
1905 - Jun 15 - The Vandalia railroad company is covering all the walks around
the depot with crushed limestone, which improves the general appearance of the grounds.
There is a map detailing the Vandalia in 1905 at the merging and its routes.
|There is a map detailing the Vandalia in 1905 at the merging and its routes.
||An interesting post card has come - up identifying a building behind the depot as the "News stand".
1906 - Steps are being taken by the Vandalia railroad company to erect one of the finest hotels in this
part of the state. It is to occupy the present site of the Lake View and is to contain 150 rooms. -
Rochester Sentinel, Friday, January 12, 1906
another account says the hotel was re-built a year earlier - as found in the Logansport Daily Pharos pg.
8 dated Jul 7 1905
Some Inklings Concerning This beautiful Sheet of Fresh Water
Fast Becoming Favorite Resort
Logansporters and Others Have Cottages There
The new Lake View hotel constructed by the Vandalia railroad, was opened and dedicated to the general
public June 8 and is a neat and modern structure. No pains have been spared by the Vandalia to beuatify
the grounds surrounding the depot. Sodding has been done, cement walks are put down, flowers and trees
have been planted, and a reg ular gardner is engaged to look afte the grounds and keep them in order...
1906 - Apr 5 - James Shugrue, who has been Vandalia agent at CUlver for a number of
years will change positions with P. J. Lennon, L & T agent at Churubusco.
1905 - Sep 28 - The Logansport. Division of the Vandalia Railroad is a thing of the past. The railroad will
hereafter be known as a part of the Pennsylvania system west of Pittsburg.
1907 - Feb. 10 - Will Remodel Cottage
The Vandalia Railroad will spend upwards of $1,000 this spring in rebuilding the
station agents cottage on the lake shore.
The building is one of the first erected here, and has been vacant for nearly a
When the work is completed it will be a modern cottage in every respect with
additional room, a porch fronting the lake, plumbing, etc. and will make a
charming little house for Agent Lennon and his wife.
||David Burns in summer of 1984 done his version of this house on the knoll, how accurate it is is known.
1907 - Jun 13 -The rail road company isfillinf inthe pond on its right of way back of
Judg Winfield's house.
||The caption of this picture - found in I am assuming in "Major Rail Roads in Indiana" pg. 111 read: Vandalia
Railroad (PRR) No. 349 is Southbound with patriotic decorations on Aug. 3, 1907. The lawns slopes to Lake
Maxinkuckee. The Vandalia standard depot shown burned in 1920 to be replaced five years later by one now used
as a community center. Hoosier Valley Railroad Collection|
| A railroad pass from the Vandalia Railroad in 1908. The holder was president of Seaboard Air Line
Railroad at the time
1908 - In 1908 the Depot building is the only building on the plat of ground, by 1922 the plat shows the pavilions
on the Vandalia property.
Note the location of the original Vandalia Depot was to the east of the present Depot and on the curve of Toner
Avenue now Lakeshore Drive. It would sit in what is todays parking lot of the
Culver Town Park - if any of you can remember back
enough and remember the concrete that was there that would of been the platform around the depot and where the
passenger canopies stood they are now a part of the park and are the East and West picnic pavilions.
1908 - April 2, - The railroad company states It, will build a freight house near the depot
1908 - Oct 29 - The Vandalia will be in all probability, give Culver a freight depot next spring according to
the assurance give the as assurance given out by the superintendent.
|Here is another early picture of the old depot that burned in 1922 - this is a unique view
showing mostly the street view from Toner Avenue [Lakeshore drive].
1909 - February 25 - Eight or ten additional hydrants have been
installed on the depot grounds for sprinkling
1909 Apr 8 - The Vandalia has sold forty or fifty trees in the grove west of the station.
Their removal is expected to encourage the growh of thr grass in the picinic grounds.
1910, Mar 3 - A New Frieght House, Sure
The Vandalia has Definitely Decided to Erect One
The Vandalia will build a freight house this season in the corner of the park east of the Kreutsberger
This will necessitate a switch track and a rearrangement of the pedestrians' approach to the depot
at that point
The new house is a long-needed convenience, but the location selected will seriously detract from
the presnet appearance of the lake frontage
1910 Apr 28 - New Frieght House -
The Vandalia is building a freight depot 16X24 at the corner of Scott stree and the side street
running swout to the lake
The building and side track will cost about $1000, and the work will be completed this week
if the weather is favorable
Agent Lenon announces that the building is but a temporary one
This is devoutly to be wished, but observation has led to the conclusion that railroad buildings
usually stand lone after they have ceased to be adequate for the purpose for which they were intended
1910 - December 1 - the two rear coaches of a train on the Vandalia Railroad were derailed at Culver
at the Bogardus crossing on Thanksgiving Day when a broken rail on gave way. No one was injured
although one lady fainted when the cars lurched and came to rest on an incline.
Part One ~~
Part Two ~~
Part Three ~~
Part Four ~~
Part Five ~~