Vandalia Railroad - Culver , Indiana Part 6 1911-1980's
1911 - a lease dated Sep. 30 and terminated by mutual consent on March 27, 1930 between the Vandalia
Railroad and Arthur Morris - for the boat and
bath house - also had a map of its location and the railroad grounds.
1912 Jan 25 - The Vandalia is expected to have its pile driver here this week breaking ground for the
new $50,000 depot it intends to erect this season. The present freight house has been sold to a farmer
near Burr Oak who will use it as an incubator.
1913 - A Storm in 1913 destroyed the Lighthouse
in the Vandalia Park. It was used as a signal for the arrival of the evening train arrivals. It was
built some time in the 1900's or late 1890's it stood on a 4 to 5 foot base and was 8 to 10 feet in height.
| a 1913 picture of the Vandalia railroad tracks along the west side of the lake - exact
location is not known.
Vandalia Train Kills Man Near Culver - A report was received at the dispatchers office of the Vandalia
railroad about 11:30 last night that a north-bound Vandalia train had struck and killed aman about
midnight near Culver. The freight was bound for South Bend, and details of the accident could not be
learned late last night - pg. 4 Wednesday Aug. 13, 1913, Logansport Journal Tribune
1913 - Aug. 14 - Run Down and Killed While Sitting on Track near the south ice house along the shore of
Lake Maxinkuckee he was a man sitting on the track.
Run Down and Killed While Sitting on Track
A man aged about 21 or 22 years was instantly killed Tuesday about 10:30 o'clock when he was struck
by a cut of Vandalia cars bear Culver. His body was taken in charge by the coroner of Marshall county,
who is holding it pending word from relatives.
The Vandalia train, in charge of Engineer Jasorka and Conductor Meranda, both of this city, had left
its cut of cars near Arlington and had gone to Culver to take water. On the way back the engine picked
up a couple of cars and was backing to the main body of the train. Conductor Meranda was on the front
end of the box xar and as the train was nearing the south ice house along the shore of Lake Maxinkuckee
he was a man sitting on the track. It was too late to stop the train and the man was struck and thrown
to one side of the track. The train was stopped and the crew ran back and found the man, killes instantly.
Residents of Culver say the man's name was Mc Neill and that he was a laborer on farms in the vicinity.
pg. 6 Thursday Aug. 14 1913 Loganpsort Lournal Tribune.
1913 - Sept 13 - Falls from Car While Stealing Ride -
A Servian stealing a ride on the Vandalia northbound freight train Thursday night fell from the car
upon which he was riding near Culver Station and sustained serious injuried.
According to the tourist's story, he was standing on a box car while the freight on a siding near Culver
waited for a passenger train to pass on the main line. The freight started suddenly and he fell to the
ground, breaking on leg and bruisin him badly.
He claims he was lifted into a boaxcar by unknwon persons and remained there until the freight train
put into the yards in South Bend, where his groans attracted the attention of Conductor Reed, of this
city, in charge of the freight train.
Reed notified the South Bend police department and they took the man to a hosital. His injuries will not
prove fatal. pg. 5 Logansport Journal Tribune >
1914 - Feb 5 - Tbe subway committee from the Commercial club- Walter M. Hand, J. P . Walter and John Osborn
- met with Supt. Campbell last week for a conference relative to the construction of a subway under tbe
Vandalia track at the foot of Jefferson street. Mr. Campbell has agreed to send an engineer here to investigate
and to present the result to the higher officials.
1914 - 12 Mar Culver citizen - Lou Swigart has closed his lunch room in Depot place and departed from the
1914 - 2 April 1914 Culver citizen - A new town pier will be constructed at a length of between 10 and 120
feet and a width of 8 feet. It will be built in 10-foot sections and floored with 2 inch plank
1914 - 2 April 1914 Culver citizen - on and after next sunday all Sunday trains on the Vandalia will be
withdrawn indefinitely and two week-day trains will be ann ulled - the 7:35 a.m. going north and the 10:51
1914 - May 28 - lighting at the Depot.
The Vandalia electricians are wiring the station building. The office, waiting room und baggage
room will be lighted, and there will be one light under each shed, and one at each end of the depot.
Really, we'll be quite fine when this is accomplished. lt is not expected that the lake front park will
be lighted this year.
1914 - Jul. 3 - Vandalia Brakeman Inured At Culver -
Frank Goltry Knocked from Moving Train and Receives Painful Injuries
Frank Goltry, Vandalia brakeman was side swiped Wednesday night while hanging on one side of a box car
on Vandalia Freight train NO. 269 near Culver, Ind. He was cut and badly bruised though no bones are
believed to be broken.
The accident occured about 10 o'clock and he remained unconscious until 4 o'clock the following morning.
He was taken to a hotel in Culver and remained there until yesterday when he was taken to his home
in this city at 509 Ottowa street.- pg. 5 Logansport Journal
1914 - Aug. 4 Overhanging Spout Sideswiped Brakeman - Arthur Emerick Knocked From Train at Culver Indiana -
Arthur Emerick, Vandalia brakeman, who was sideswiped and seriously injured Saturday morning is resting
easliy at his home in East Linden Avenue and will be himself again within a short time. He is completely
out of danger though it was feared that his skull had been fractured.
While hanging to a Vandalia train on which he was working, Emerick's head collided with a water spout and
he was knocked from the train.
His head was painfully bruised and he received cuts and bruises about the body. The spout is the same one
that sideswiped Frank Goltry six weeks ago. Goltry was knocked from the train and received injuries similar
to those sustained by Emrick. - pg. 6 Logansport Journal
1914 - Aug. 6 - Brakeman Injured. Charley Emerick, brakeman on the north-bound local, was knocked
off a box car by the water spout at tbe depot last Friday and badly injured. He was taken to Logansport
and is reported to be in a serious condition
1914 Sep. 17 - The Union News Company's stands at the depot closed last week.
1914 - October 1 - The Vandalia depot has just been completely wired for electric lights. A number of
small lights have been distributed throughout the building and one of the large 100-watt lights has
been placed under each shed beside the depot
1914 - Oct 15 - - Chua. Emerick, a Vandalia brakeman who was knocked off the
top of a box car by the water spout at Culver one night last summer,
bas entered suit in Cass county for $10,000 damages.
Some time around 1915 it is said that several cars of a train derailed between Willow Point (Mill & Winfield
Street area) and the outlet spilling beans and corn onto the frozen lake. John Houghton wrote in his columns
one of the stranger incidents took place about sixty years ago, when a train derailment spilled several cars
(one of them carrying beans, and another corn) onto the lake ice, somewhere between Willow Point and the
Outlet. Carl Stubbs told me some of the story:
"The grade wasn't quite as wide as it is now, the road was way over where part of the grade was. It was
dirt, right down at the water level. When the lake was high, you could even drive in the water along it.
Some telephone posts had to be set in the lake to get through there. That's been filled in. So the train
didn't have far to go to get onto the ice. Of course, the shore in there, I imagine, was pretty well
protected, and I imagine the ice froze clear to the ground. But it did hold the train up. I've seen the
Oil spills are rare enough on Indiana lakes, but I'm willing to bet the great Maxinkuckee corn spill is one
of a kind.
1915 - April 13 - The Vandalia has had men here for a couple of weeks putting the railroad property into
repair. The Depot has been repainted and patched up and some work has been done on the Lake View Hotel.
The pump at the engine house, near the depot, has also received attention.
1915 - The this quip found excursions via the Vandalia must of ceased several years before -
An excursion will be run to Lake Maxinkuckee on the Vandalia Sunday for the first time in several years.
The excursion rate is 85 cents for the round trip from Logansport Logansport Journal-Tribune Wednesday Monring
August 11, 1915
1915 - Jun 15 - Terre Haute & Logansport RR to S. E. Medbourn, in Toner's addn to
1916 - Dec 1 - VANDALIA TRAIN HITS AUTOMOBILE AT Culver An unoccupied automobile ... at Culver Ind
Monday night struck by... Wednesday, Dec. 1, 1916 Logansport Journal Tribune.
|On 1 Jan 1917 the Panhandle acquired the railroad and then became the Pennsylvania or as many
called it the "Pennsy". the merge included the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis (PCC & StL) with
the Vandalia, Pittsburg Wheeling & Kentucky, Anderson Belt, Chicago Indiana & Eastern - this became the Lines
West Divison. With this all distinction of the old railroad history faded away. Thus giving the Pennsylvani
a Railroad a direct route from New York City to St. Louis
29 March 1917 W. T. Parish
arrived from Rockville,
Indiana was the station master until ca 1954.
W. T. Parish is the new station agent for Culver. He comes from Rockville, Ind., and is a married man.
His family will remove here about May 1, when Mr. Lenon vacates the cottage owned by the railroad company. -
29 Mar 1917
1919 Jan - 15 - Express Office Will Remove - A new location and another agent is being sought for the
. Under government management the business
of the express company and the railroads is being disassociated. In the case of Culver the railroad agent must
work more than eight hours if he handles the express business. This he is not obliged to do. Where the office
will be located or who will be the agent awaits the visit of the district superintendent. It is not probable
however, that the office will be brought up town as the bulk of the business is with the academy. For instance,
on Saturday monring there were 4 deleveries for uptown and about 40 for the academy
1919 - Oct 29 - A railroad representative was here last week conferring with the town board related to the right
of way for a sewer under the railroad track to carry off the surface water which overflows the street near the
depot after a heavy rain
1920 - Jan 21 - The depot burned down Monday morning. By Wednesday night the east waiting shed had been converted
into a depot with agent's office, waiting room and baggage room, heated, electric lighted, wired for telegraph
instruments and the signal tower in operation. The construction crew came in force, bringing their kitchen car and
bunk car. The old depot meantime had been torn dowon and such lumber as was usless had been burned, while good
pieces of lumber had been sold off to local parties. Some work, we'll say.
1920 - Feb 25 - The Pennsylvania Railroad - When the railroads are restored to the owner on March 1 the
Pennsylvania will be divided into four regions - Eastern, Centrl, Southeastern and Southwestern. The "old
Vandalia" will be included in the SOuthwestern, the general manager of which will be T. B. Hamilton whose
headquarters will be in Chicago. The superintendent of the Michigan Division will by D. Y. Geddes with
headquarters at Logansport
1920 - March 1 - the PCC& St bacame a part of the Panhandle division of the Pennslyvania Railroad
1920 - 14 Apr. - Prospects Are Promising For a Fine New Station
Surveyors were at work several days last week taking levels and setting stakes not only on that part of the
grounds where the new depot is expected to be erected, but onmuch of that portion of the park lying between
the track and the lake.
The surveyors were uncommunicative, probably thorugh ignorance of the plans of the company. They were we
presume, instructed to take certain levels and make their report to the cheif engineer.
The public however, sees in this activity a reasonable promise of a new depot this season. Certainly the need
of one is no more apparent to us thanto the railroad company. The present accomodations are of the most
temporary character, unfit for buisness or the comfort of the public. The board shack has been a refrigerator
during the winter and will be a fireless cooker during the summer.
But the finances of the railroad are in a depleted condition and much as the officials would like to see a
modern brick station, adequate for the nextgeneration, rear its symmetrical walls aloft, they may be compelled
to forgo this satisfaction until the employees cease their everlasting cry for more wages and the commerce
commission grants higher frieght rates.
1920 - Apr. 28 - The vandialia is building a freight depot 16X24 at the corner of Scott street and the side
street running down to the lake
1920 (1922) - This is information I think dealing with the railroad from a techincal book - but it give a
location of a Culver business and the information of area around the depot:
Culver (Marshall County J S Bilby 1920) About 100 yards west of the railroad station at Culver on the east
side of the track 325 yards east of railroad bridge 148 26 220 yards east of the switch signal for siding
80 yards south of F G Solomon's merchandise store 2.75 meters 9.02 feet east of the east and nearest rail
The station and underground marks are bronze tablets set in concrete as described in notes la and 7a 1 There
is no reference mark - PRECISE TRAVERSE AND TRIANG ulATION IN INDIANA By CHARLES A MOURHESS Mathematician and
JASPER S BILBY Signalman United States Coast and Geodetic Survey Special Publications - Google Books Result
by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey - 1922
thus by this F. G. Solomon's was located somewhere on Lakeshore Dr. during the 1920's; the railroade bridge would
be the tressle which was at the end of Washington Street, I would assume.
1920 - Jun 9 - Beautifying the Park
The railroad park is rapidly assuming the festive aires of summer.
Cape Wiseman and his assitant Charley Eaton have place the flower beds in readiness and installments of
blooming plantsare being received from the company's conservatories at Schwickley, Pa.
The park benches are in place and picnic parties are already putting them to use.
Crushed stone has been spread on the thoroughfare west of the depot and an attractive graa plot and flower
beds have been completed on the site of the burned depot.
The park is a beauty spot every summer - a joy to the eyes of the tired traveler and a source of much
enjoyment to thetown people and the thousands of visitors to the lake.
1920 - sep. 8 - Thomas Twomey, pennsylvannia ticket agent for the past eight years, dies Sept. 7 half
an hour after suffering a cerebral hemorage.
1920, Sep 13 - At this date the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis ( P. C. C. & St.L. ) Railroad
Company and a connection with the railroad tracks that ran through Culver are they are mentione in the deed
for Thomas b. Hamilton for the purchased of his cottage
on Willow Point
1920 - Sep 15 - Station Building Deferred
The new station for Bremen ordered ... This suggests the uncertainty of the date of constructing the Culver
Station which is now a temproray board affair improvised after the burning of the old building.
1920 - Sep 22 - Two of the new standard station signs now in use over the Pennsylvania syste, have been
placed on the Culver depot. It carries the word 'Culver' in gold letters on a red background with a gold
border around the edges of the sign. It is a very prett and very striking
1921 - Jan. 19 - On jan. 12 a year and to the day after the old Vandalia depot was destroyed by fire, the
temporary depot caught fire.
In March 1922 part of the Vandalia Park which was bought from Mr. Toner in
Ma_ of 1886 was sold.
1922 - Aug - The public comfort station on the railroad grounds was condemened and
closed to the public by the local helath officer last Thrusday. The residents of the
neighborhood complained that it was a nuisance. On the following day a representative
of the company held a conference with Health Officer Meredith with the result that in
view of the public's necessity and the assurance that hereafter the place would be
carefully looked after by the company, the doors wer again opened.
1922 Sep 13 - Charles McLane who has been manager of the depot stand for the Union
news this summer...
1923 - Mar 7 - Railroad Improvements Among Spring Projects
The ground occupied until recently by the cottage owned by the railraod, near the depot, is
The opinion of the railroad employees, gathered from the talk along the line, is that the new
station building is likely to be built this season.
It seems to be definitely decided that this spring will see the installation of modern water
closets in the rear of the bath house
There will also be constructed two electric towers at the lower and upper curnes of the
|A excursion ad from the Indianapolis Daily Star dated 7 July 1923:
1923 - Aug. 8 - Culver has been assured of a, new railroad station, according to a report which W. T. Parish
has received from the superintendent of the South Bend division of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Appropriation of
funds has been made and actual construction will begin before very long.
1924 - Nov 3 - T. B. Hamilton has been promoted to vice president of the Pennsylvania Railroad
1925 - January 28 - Ralph Hamilton of Kewanna has been transferred to the local freight office in place of
R. A. Miner who has been sent to Converse, Ind.
1925 - April 15 - Work on the new depot will begin within (be next 10 days according
to word received from Supt. B. H. Hutchinson by Agent W. T. Parish.
1925 - April 30 - Work has, finally begun on the new depot and now people of the community are beginning
to think that, after all, possibly it was not a dream.
In September 1925
- it was the third depot.
This is the present brick structure. One of David Burn's yarns that he told around town was how he built the
chimney on this depot - he would lay it up so far and his father [James E. Burns] would kick it down - this
went on all day; according to David; his father's point to be made was that if you laid only one brick a day
you were to lay it right. He went on to tell that he was 16 at the time and was playing hookey from school
quite a bit and he was told to either go to school or go to work.
||George E. Nearpass by the information on the back of the postcard picture of him; he was known as the
"Whistling Brakeman"; and also by this information he had his own radio show.
1929 - The wooden railroad viaduct at the end of Washington Street has been rebuilt with heavier material;
it is felt the new structure should handle the heavy freight loads - 11 Sep. Culver Citizen.
1929 - Sep 18 - Power Signals being PLaced at Three Roard Crossings
A crew of the Pennsylvania railroad is busy installing ne electric falsher warning signal system at
three crossings near Culver, which when completed will give much better and surer protection
It would have been possible for the railoard to have had the old battery system working a the
state road crossing some time ago, but the poser system requires much more labor and
The signals are being installed at the Bogardus and otlet crossings as will as at the state road.
There is much less chance of filure to operate with the porwe system and the strength of the light
is many times stronger.
| Then by the mid 1930' or 40's one was the 'Doodlebug'; was a one car train that carried
people between I believe Logansport & Culver and Culver & South Bend.
1930 - In the 2 July 1930 issue of the Culver Citizen it was announced by the Pennsylvania Railroad that
trains would drop to two a day - the 10:35 am South and the 3:25 North would be dropped. The remaining
trains would be the 11:37 am which will arrive at 10:55 am going North and the 8:50 pm which would go south.
1935 - In 1935 Culver purchased the Vandalia park for $6,500 this included 3.2 acres and
buildings excluding the depot and adjacent land; it also included Bunker Hill and the old
water tower of 2.2 acres.
February 20, 1935 - The sale of Vandalia Park by the Pennsylvania Railroad to the town of
Culver was announced resterday, and is the culmination if several months of negotiaion.
The transaction included the 3.2 acres comprising the present park and 2.2 acres of the
site of the old water tower.
1935 - Jun 26 - New "Culver" signs have been placed on the depot.
1936 - Jul 22 - Freight House, Old Landmark, Is Torn Down
The old freight house on the siding near the dept was town down the first of the week by Wayne Von Ehr,
who bought the structure from the Pennsylvania railraod. The building is about 30 years old.
With the new door service rendered by the railroad there is no need for a storage place. the track
siding will be retained.
The removal of the old building will increase the attractiveness of the vicinity.
|1940 - A Pennsy passenger train collides with a county
truck south of Culver on Rd. 17.
1940 - oct. 9 - A new bridge has been built by the Pennsylvania Railroad company over the viaduct on East
1942 - Jul 22 - Defense Office
Calls Off Hearing On Pennsy Tran Service Plea
1943 - Mar 3 - Pennsy Withdraws Plea to Discontinue Trains
The petition to the Pennsylvania railroad to the Indiana Public Service Commission
requesting that it be allowed to discontinue service the of two remaining passenger
trains on its Vandalia branch between SOuth Bend and Logansport has been withdrawn
by the railroad with the approval of the commission
The action allows the railroad to enter the request at a later date if it so desires.
The railroad was ordered to reimburse the state in the amount of $35.45 for expenses
incurred in the hearing of the original petition.
1946 - Jan 16 - The second of the two large cedar trees on the depot plaza, both old landmarks, was cut down
last week as a safety precaution when it was found that the base of the 100-foot tree was rotten two-thirds
of the way through.
1947 - Oct 15 - Leagl Notice of Public Hearing
Public Service Commission of Indiana Docket No. 19601
Ir the matter of the applicationof the Pennsylvania Railroad Compnay to discontinue operation of:
parrenger train 316, operationg betwenn South Bend, Indiana and Logansport, Indiana; and
passenger train 319 operationg betwenn South Bend, Indiana and Logansport, Indiana
Notice is hereby given that the Publice Commission if Indiana will conduct a public hearing in this
caurse in the Basement of the Public Library, Culver, Indiana, 10:00 a.m., Wedensday, October
Public participation is requested Public Service Commission of Indiaina By Harold J. Bell, acting
Examiner Indianapolis, In. Oct 6, 1947.
||1947 - The passenger rail service ended after Thanksgiving (Nov. 27th>) to the town of Culver.
An announcement made in October 1947 by the Pennsylvania Road gave notice that passenger service would no longer
be provided, the 'Academy Special' as it was called which had been in existence since about 1897 manage to
survive until after the spring break of 1956, originating from a side track near the power house on the academy
campus. In this photo one can see the access road that ran along the lake edge to the south and north into the
park, and the co-op on West Jefferson|
|1951 - 30 January - in zero weather a
frieght train derailed in the early morning hours near the outlet on State Road 17 [now West Shore Dr.]
|One of the last ads for the railroad:
1954 - 7 July - Culver citizen - E. R. Kinney of Marion has been made agent at the Pennsylvania Railroad
Station in Culver to fill the vancancy caused by the retitement of W. T. Parish.
|1958 - In March of 1958 14 coal
cars derailed in the park area and it took most of the spring and early summer to clean up.
1958 - March 12 - Freight train hits station wagon and truck in freak accident at 10:13 Saturday night in
front of the Pennsylvania railroad station
||Pennsylvania railroad stock - one being dated 1959 |
|1959 - In 1959 the first coin operated laundry may came to Culver; waiting room area
of the depot was transformed into a Laundry mat until mid or late 1970's and then sat empty for a while.
There are more pictures of this Vandalia Pennsylvania Depot are found
The dwindling down of the frieght being hauled over the Pensy was coming about. Mid 1960's brought an end
to the railroad service by the Pennsylvania Railroad to the Academy. The only other major user of the
railroad was the farm co-op
West Jefferson Street
|It officially started March 19, 1962 when a merger petition went to the Interstate Commerce
Commission and took until February 1, 1968 to become real. It was the merger of the Pennsylvania and New
York Central into the "Pennsylvania New York Central Transportation Company" known as the "Penn Central"
1969 - In 1969 the local depot was closed and Emory Kinney who had been station master since 1954 and his
operations were moved to Logansport. Freight trains ran through intermentintly until 1979 when the Vandalia
line was finally completely abandoned; the last major user Farm Bureau Co-op had burned in 1978 and did not
rebuild in Culver.
After less than three years of existence; the end came on Sunday, June 21, 1970, when the Penn Central
Transportation Company filed for bankruptcy under Section 77 of the Bankruptcy Act. Because of the Section
77 filing, PC was protected from its creditors, and trains continued to run, while the financial losses
continued to pile up
In mid-1973, officials with the bankrupt Penn Central threatened to liquidate and cease operations by year's
end if they did not receive government aid by October 1. Conrail was created by the U.S. federal government
to take over the potentially profitable lines of multiple bankrupt carriers, including the Penn Central
Transportation Company and Erie Lackawanna Railway. Much of the North-South line was abandoned with the
This threat to U.S. freight and passenger traffic galvanized the Congress to quickly create a bill to nationalize
the bankrupt railroads. The Association of American Railroads, which opposed nationalization, submitted an
alternate proposal for a government-funded private company. Judge Fullam forced the Penn Central to operate into
1974, when, on January 2, after threatening a veto, President Richard Nixon signed the Regional Rail Reorganization
Act of 1973 into law. The "3R Act," as it was called, provided interim funding to the bankrupt railroads and defined
a new Consolidated Rail Corporation under the AAR's plan The 3R Act also formed the United States Railway
Association, another government corporation, taking over the powers of the Interstate Commerce Commission with
respect to allowing the bankrupt railroads to abandon unprofitable lines. The USRA was incorporated February 1,
1974, and Edward G. Jordan, an insurance executive from California, was named president on March 18 by President
Richard Nixon. Arthur D. Lewis of Eastern Air Lines was appointed chairman April 30, and the remainder of the board
was named May 30 and sworn in July 11.
Under the 3R Act, the USRA was to create a "Final System Plan" to decide which lines should be included in the new
Consolidated Rail Corporation. Unlike most railroad consolidations, only the designated lines were to be taken over.
Other lines would be sold to Amtrak, various state governments, transportation agencies, and solvent railroads. The
few remaining lines were to remain with the old companies along with all previously abandoned lines, many stations,
and all non-rail related properties, thus converting most of the old companies into solvent property holding
companies. The plan was unveiled July 26, 1975, consisting of lines from Penn Central and six other companies—the
Ann Arbor Railroad (bankrupt 1973), Erie Lackawanna Railway (1972), Lehigh Valley Railroad (1970), Reading Company
(1971), Central Railroad of New Jersey (1967) and Lehigh and Hudson River Railway (1972). Controlled railroads and
jointly owned railroads such as Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines and the Raritan River Railroad (1980) were also
It was approved by Congress on November 9, and on February 5, 1976 President Gerald Ford signed the Railroad
Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976, which included this Final System Plan, into law.
||Conrail (Consolidated Rail Corporation) was incorporated in Pennsylvania on October 25, 1974, and
operations began April 1, 1976 . |
The first part of the line to go was between Nutwood (?Nutmeg?) and Culver , which was abandoned in 1973 and removed
in 1974. The second piece to go was from Culver to Logansport which was abandoned in 1974 and removed in 1976.
For a while in Plymouth, Indiana, they used the line for the old industrial park, but this rail was gone by 1990
Sometime during the late 1970's the railroad land was put up for sale. Several people were instrumental in trying
to keep what should of been full public accesses for the town of Culver open: Davis Street, Winfield Street,
Jefferson Street and Washington Street. One large supporter was June (Garn) Napier Jackson Sirus and many others
with her; but they failed and all were sold to private people and access to the lake in Culver has been denied
except at the park area and an easement worked out between the town of Culver and John Deery in 1980 at Washington
Street where the access road to/from the town park came out at. The last attempt was made by Rod Martindale, David
Burns and several others to gain a partial easement at Jefferson Street about 1988 or 1989.
Tho passenger service did not exist for the Culver area since 1947 all other passenger service for the
Pennsylvania ended on 30 April. 1971, the Conrail did run passenger trains over the remaining exisiting
road beween 1 Jan. 1972 and 30 Jul. 1974
Culver December 17, 1975
Penn Central to abandon tracks
The Penn Central Transportation Company has announced plans to terminate rail service on a secondary
railroad track between Culver and Logansport effective Feb. 27.
According to Penn Central trustees , the line is not designated for continued operation by the Consolidated
Rail Corporation, or any other carrier, according to the 1973 Final System Plan.
Trustees said information on the line's value and expenses may be examined in the Penn Central Superintendent's
office, 231 Baker St., Fort Wayne.
The tracks through Culver have not been used for several years, and termination of service is basically a
On 29 Jul 1976 the 32 mile long track between Logansport and Culver was abandoned; the Penn Central bankruptcy
also brought the abandonedment of the 72 miles of the original line between terre Haute and Frankfort (LC&SW)
the track between Culver and South Bend had already been abandoned which was 29 miles.
Fight for Town Lake Accss - 1970's
railway property at E. Wshingt, E. Jefferson, Winfield St. and Davis Streets.
1984 - In on 27 December 1984 the town made a resolution to purchase the depot and adjacent land for $42,500
and it was finalized on 10 April 1985; thus began the depot
project by the Culver Lions Club.
The Culver Pennsylvania Depot is featured on pg. 67 of Railroad Depots of Northern Indiana By David E. Longest,
2007 Arcadia Publishing Chicago, Il.,; the picture in the book was taken in 1974, while it was in a state of
Part One ~~
Part Two ~~
Part Three ~~
Part Four ~~
Part Five ~~