Maxinkuckee Main Page
Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue
Vandalia Railroad - Culver, Indiana
1892 - Found in the Annual report for 1892 :
The water tank at Marmont raised to furnish sufficient pressure for the hotel the expense $830.30. pg. 39 Forty-fifth Annual Report of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1892 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1893 - Found in the 1893 annual report was:
The new sidings and extensions were as follows:
pg. 40 Forty-fifth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1893 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
The expense of the improvement to the hotel at Marmont is shown below:
The cost of this improvement was charged to Lease account.
pg. 41 Forty-fifth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1893 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
There was no There was no excursion business at all to Lake Maxinkuckee. - pg. 37 Forty Fifth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1893 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
An advertisement for 1895 says that E. A. Forg was General Passenger agent and W. F. Burner was the assistant.
1894 - The Boat and Bath house that was built in 1886 and was purchased in 1894 by the Vandalia Railroad when it took over the park. Monton H. Foss operated the Boat and Bath house.
1894 - Found in the 1894 annual report was:
Repairs were made to....and the turn table at Marmont was renewed at a cost of $265.40 pg. 35 Annual Report of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1894 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1895 - this was an add in the Maxinkuckee Agriculture Booklet
and below is a picture of the showing the depot with the canopies also of interesting note - notice the double tracks? I as a kid in the 1950's remember only one set of track running through the park area. It would be interesting to find out when the one set of tracks were taken up.
1895 - Found in the 1895 annual report was:
Sidings at close of year with changes from previous year:
pg. 48 Forty Seventh Annual Report of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1895 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1896 - Marmont or Culver not mentioned in the Forty-eigth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1896 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1897 - Found in the 1897 Annual report is:
Sidings at close of year with changes from previous year:
pg. 45 Forty-ninth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1897 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1898 - Found in the 1898 Annual report is:
Station Repairs:...The loss in operating the Lakeview Hotel at Culver was $824.89. a decrease of $164.19. Cinder platforms were built at...Culver, 3,300 square feet... pg. 57 Fifieth Annual Report of the of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1898 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
Sidings at close of year with changes from previous year:
At Culver the Academy track was extended 480 feet costing $385.00 This expense was borne by the Academy pg. 49 & 60 Fifieth Annual Report of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Railroad Company to the Stockholders for the Year Ending November 30 1898 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
1899 Company on December 31 1899 The Terre Haute and Logansport Railway Company owns and since December 1 1898 has operated the property formerly owned by the Terre Haute and Logansport Railroad Co ....
... as a result of a judicial sale thereunder at Crawfords ville Indiana on November 18 1898 the property was acquired by the Terre Haute and Logansport Railway Company in payment for which the last named Company delivered to the purchaser at such judicial sale $2,000,000 of its capital stock and agreed to deliver $1,060,000 of its 4 per cent 5O year mortgage bonds and as many more as should be needed to equal the amount which should finally be found necessary to complete the purchase of said railroad ... pg. 5 First Annual Report of Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 1999. Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co. - no mention of Culver in the annual report is made.
1900 Second Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 1900. Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co. - no mention of Culver in the annual report is made.
1900 - Frank Handy was the railroad agent.
1901 Third Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 1901. Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co. - no mention of Culver in the annual report is made.
1902- Found in the Fourth annual report was:
The charges to Construction and Equipment paid for out of new capital was as follows:...Picnic grove purchased at Culver 4,524.90 - pg. 10 Fourth Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 19O2. Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co.
In order to provide facilities for entertaining picnic parties at Lake Maxinkuckee during the summer season and also to prevent the probable purchase of the property by undesirable parties it was thought best to purchase an oak grove of about ten acres fronting the lake and adjacent to the company's station and property Several expensive improvements authorized - pg. 11 Fourth Annual Report of The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company For Year Ending December 31, 19O2. Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Co.
Pumping Station.. 4,239.42
The 28 May 1903 issue of the Culver Citizen announced:
Gravel walks are being put in at the depot grounds and at the Lakeview cottages. All the flowers are planted and Foreman Washburn expects to have everything in first class order by the last of the week.29 Oct 1903 - found in the Culver Citizen was:
A large 75 ft steel turntable has been unloaded on the siding north of the Lake View Hotel and will be sit up for the convience of the excursion engines. The old wooden turnable opposite of the Kruezberger Park will be torn out and the siding taken out.1903 - In 1903 the railroad replaced the wooden turnable with a new steel one and dismantled the wooden one and also built was octagonal bandstand in its park.
1903 - Found in the Fifth annual report was:
New ice houses at hotel at Culver...... 669.07
Hotel and cottages at Culver repaired.. 618.89
Pumping station...... 498.18
By the annual reports from 1899-1903 - The railroad continued to be operated under the direction of Volney T Malott as trustee in connection with the lines of the Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company of which he is the Receiver. With the Obligation due Pennsylvania Railroad Company at 4 per annum on $1,060,000.00 Advances made.
The Vandalia Railroad was incorporated under the general laws of Indiana and Illinois through filing with the secretaries of state of those States on December 29, 1904, and December 31, 1904, respectively, an agreement dated December 29, 1904, for the purpose of consolidating the properties, rights, and franchises of The Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company, The St. Louis, Vandalia and Terre Haute Railroad Company, The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company, the Logansport & Toledo Railway Company, and the Indianapolis and Vincennes Railroad Company. This agreement became effective January 1, 1905 this became known as the Michigan Division of the Vandalia. The Vandalia subsequently acquired, through direct purchase, the property, rights and franchises of the St. Clair Coal Railway Company, by deed dated January 3, 1908.
There is a map detailing the Vandalia in 1905 at the merging and its routes.
An interesting post card has come - up identifying a building behind the depot as the "News stand". it is blow and another view of the depot around 1906.
Steps are being taken by the Vandalia railroad company to erect one of the finest hotels in this part of the state. It is to occupy the present site of the Lake View and is to contain 150 rooms. - Rochester Sentinel, Friday, January 12, 1906
another account says the hotel was re-built a year earlier - as found in the Logansport Daily Pharospg. 8 dtated Jul 7 1905
The caption of this picture - found in I am assuming in "Major Rail Roads in Indiana" pg. 111 read: Vandalia Railroad (PRR) No. 349 is Southbound with patriotic decorations on Aug. 3, 1907. The lawns slopes to Lake Maxinkuckee. The Vandalia standard depot shown burned in 1920 to be replaced five years later by one now used as a community center. Hoosier Valley Railroad Collection
1908 - In 1908 the Depot building is the only building on the plat of ground, by 1922 the plat shows the pavilions on the Vandalia property.
Note the location of the original Vandalia Depot was to the east of the present Depot and on the curve of Toner Avenue now Lakeshore Drive. It would sit in what is todays parking lot of the Culver Town Park - if any of you can remember back enough and remember the concrete that was there that would of been the platform around the depot and where the passenger canopies stood they are now a part of the park and are the East and West picnic pavilions.
Another early picture shows the location of the Vandalia Depot also - this is in relation to the old Mulberry tree that graced the park for years in the 1950's, 1960' and 1970's its branches reached to the ground - making a good hide-n-seek game place besides the big luscious Mulberries it produced every summer. No one could dispute where where the kids both young and old alike had been when they appeared with the tell-tale signs of purple around their lips and on their hands!
Yet here is another early picture of the old depot that burned in 1922 - this is a unique few showing mostly the street view from Toner Avenue [Lakeshore drive].
1909 - February 25 – Eight or ten additional hydrants have been installed on the depot grounds for sprinkling…
1910 - December 1 - the two rear coaches of a train on the Vandalia Railroad were derailed at Culver ath the Bogardus crossing on Thanksgiving Day when a broken rail on a culvert gave way. none one was injured although one lady faintedn when the cars lurched and came to rest on an incline.
1911 - a lease dated Sep. 30 and terminated by mutual consent on March 27, 1930 between the Vandalia Railroad and Arthur Morris - for the boat and bath house - also had a map of its location and the railroad grounds.
1912 Jan 25 - The Vandalia is expected to have its pil driver here this week breaking ground for the new $50,000 depot it intends to erect t h i s season. The present freight house has been sold to a farmer near Burr Oak who will use it as an incubator.
1913 - A Storm in 1913 destroyed the Lighthouse in the Vandalia Park. It was used as a signal for the arrival of the evening train arrivals. It was built some time in the 1900's or late 1890's it stood on a 4 to 5 foot base and was 8 to 10 feet in height.
Below is a 1913 picture of the Vandalia railroad tracks along the west side of the lake - exact location is not known.
Vandalia Train Kills Man Near Culver - A report was received at the dispatchers office of the Vandalia railroad about 11:30 last night that a north-bound Vandalia train had struck and killed aman about midnight near Culver. The freight was bound for South Ben, and details of the accident could not be learned late last night - pg. 4 Wednesday Aug. 13, 1913, Logansport Journal Tribune
1913 - Aug. 14 - Run Down and Killed While Sitting on Track near the south ice house along the shore of Lake Maxinkuckee he was a man sitting on the track.
1913 - Sept 13 - Falls from Car While Stealing Ride - A Servian stealing a ride ont he Vandalia northbound freight train Thursday night fell from the car upon which he was riding near Culver Station and sustained serious injuried. According tot he tourist's story, he was standing on a box car while the freight on a siding near Culver waited for a passenger train to pass on the main line. Th freight started suddenly and he fell to the ground, breaking on leg and bruisin him badly. He claims he was lifted into a boaxcar by unknwon persons and remained here until the freight train put into the yards in South Bend, where his groans attracted the attention of COnductor Reed, of this city, in charge of the freight train. Reed notified the SOuth Bend police department and they took the man to a hosital. His injuries will not prove fatal. pg. 5 Logansport Journal Tribune
1914 - 12 Mar culver citizen - Lou Swigart has closed his lunch room in Depot place and departed from the city.
1914 - 2 April 1914 culver citizen - A new town pier will be constructed at a lienght of between 10 and 120 feet and a width of 8 feet. It will be built in 10-foot sections and floored with 2 inch plank
1914 - 2 April 1914 culver citizen - on and after next sunday all sunday trains on the Vandalia will be withdrawn indefinitely and two week-day trains will be annulled - the 7:35 a.m. going north and the 10:51 soing south
1914 - Jul. 3 - Vandalia Brakeman Inured At Culver -
Frank Goltry Knocked from Moving Train and Receives Painful Injuries - Frank Goltry, Wandalia brakeman was side swiped Wednesday night while hanging on one side of a box car on Vandalia Freight train NO. 269 near Culver, Ind. He was cut and badly bruised though no bones are believed to be broken. The accident occured about 10 o'clock and he remained unconscious until 4 o'clok the followoing morning. He was taken to a hotel in Culver and remained there until yesterday when he was taken to his hime in this city at 509 Ottowa street.- pg. 5 Logansport Journal
1914 - Aug. 4 Overhanging Spout Sideswiped Brakeman - Arthur Emerick Knocked From Train at Culver Indiana -
Arthur Emerick, Vandalia brakeman, who was sideswiped and seriously injured Saturday morning is resting easliy at his home in East Linden Avenus and will be himself again within a short time. He is completely out of danger though it was feared that his skull had been fractured.1914 Sep. 17 - The Union News Company's stands at the depot closed last week.
1914 - October 1 – The Vandalia depot has just been completely wired for electric lights. A number of small lights have been distributed throughout the building and one of the large 100-watt lights has been placed under each shed beside the depot…
Some around 1915 it is said that several cars of a train derailed between Willow Point (Mill & Winfield Street area) and the outlet spilling beans and corn onto the frozen lake. John Houghton wrote in his columns of 1974-5:
one of the stranger incidents took place about sixty years ago, when a train derailment spilled several cars (one of them carrying beans, and another corn) onto the lake ice, somewhere between Willow Point and the Outlet. Carl Stubbs told me some of the story:1915 - The this quip found excursions via the Vandalia must of ceased several years before -
An excursion will be run to Lake Maxinkuckee on the Vandalia Sunday for the first time in several years. The excursion rate is 85 cents for the round trip from Logansport Logansport Journal-Tribune WEDNESDAY MORNING, AUGUST 11, 1915
VANDALIA TRAIN HITS AUTOMOBILE AT CULVER An unoccupied automobile ... at Culver Ind Monday night struck by... Wednesday, Dec. 1, 1916 Logansport Journal Tribune.
On 1 Jan 1917 the Panhandle acquired the railroad and then became the Pennsylvania or as many called it the "Pennsy". the merge included the Pittsburrgh cincinnat chicago & St. Louis (PCC & StL) with the vandalia, Pittsburg wheeling & Kentucky, Anderson Belt, Chicago Indiana & Eastern - this became the Lines West Divison. WIth this all distinction of the old railroad history faded away.
20 March 1917 W. T. Parrish arrived from Rockville, Indiana was the station master until ca 1954.
House Under the Pines The oldest house in Culver, "Neighbor" Cromley believes, is the one moved from under the pine trees near the railroad depot. It was there in the fall of '54, he recalls. "It was the first house I noticed when I came down here," he says. "It was wild here then. That house is the only one left of those that were here in those days."
"Cape" Wiseman lived there as a boy, in the old "pine trees" house.
At the age of ten, Tim Wolfe recollects, he rode a mule past the little old house. "It looked just about the way it does today," he says. "It was old then, and it was built like an old-time barn, with a heavy hewn frame."
The house, when it stood on its little knoll near the railroad station, was a landmark. And so were the twin pines there. The house stood between or under the big old trees, bath of which are still standing. They are tall ones, and used to dwarf the house, which was built low anyway.
The station agents lived there and W. T. Parish moved the house, reset it, and put a canopy over the front entrance, some time in the period of 1920-25. The back part of the present house, now located on a lot on the east side of Lake Street, is newer than the front, so it appears. The back part was there, however, before the house was moved.
The Arthur Simpson family lived in the house for a while. - One Township Yesterday's - Corwin. If Corwin was correct in that it was where Arthur Simpson lived - the address is 452 Lake Street by the 1930 census - he was listed as a clerk b. 1895 in England and was naturalized in 1905. The house value was listed at $2500 with him was his wife Ruth C. and a daughter Elizabeth.
David Burns in summer of 1984 done his version of this house on the knoll as shown below:
tho the address of 452 lake street does not exist the nearest address is 444 N Lake Street and it is said that part of the house is built of old timber beams suggestting that it could be the 'House under the Pines'.
1920 - 12 January the depot built in 1884 was destroyed by fire.
1920 - 13 Apr. - surveyors were at work the last week takng levels and setting stakes not only on the part of the grounf where the depot will be erected but on much of the portion of ground bteween the tracks and the lake
1920 - Apr. 28 - The vandialia is building a freight depot 16X24 at the corner of Scott stree and the side street running dout to the lake
1920 (1922) - This is information I think dealing with the railroad from a techincal book - but it give a location of a Culver business and the information of area around the depot:
Culver (Marshall County J S Bilby 1920) About 100 yards west of the railroad station at Culver on the east side of the track 325 yards east of railroad bridge 148 26 220 yards east of the switch signal for siding 80 yards south of FG Solomon's merchandise store 2.75 meters 9.02 feet east of the east and nearest rail The station and underground marks are bronze tablets set in concrete as described in notes la and 7a 1 There is no reference mark - PRECISE TRAVERSE AND TRIANGULATION IN INDIANA By CHARLES A MOURHESS Mathematician and JASPER S BILBY Signalman United States Coast and Geodetic Survey Special Publications - Google Books Result by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey - 1922thus by this F. G. Solomon's was located somewhere on Lakeshore Dr. during the 1920's; the railroade bridge would be the tressle which was at the end of Washington Street, I would assume.
On 1 March 1920 the PCC& Stl bacame a part of the Panhandle division of the Pennslyvania Railroad
1920 - sep. 8 - Thomas Twomey, pennsylvannia ticket agent for the past eight years, dies Sept. 7 hald an hour after suffering a cerebral hemorage.
1921 - Jan. 19 - On jan. 12 a year and to the day after the old Vandalia depot was destroyed by fire, the temporary depot caught fire.
In March 1922 part of the Vandalia Park which was bought from Mr. Toner iin Ma of 1886 was sold.
A excursion ad from the Indianapolis Daily Star dated 7 July 1923:
1923 - Aug. 8 - Culver has been assured of a, new railroad station, according to a report which W. T. Parish has received from the superintendent of the South Bend division of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Appropriation of funds has been made and actual construction will begin before very long.
1924 - nov 3 - T. B. Hamilton has been promoted to vice president of the Pennsylvania Railroad
1925 - January 28 - Ralph Hamilton of Kewanna has been transferred to the local freight office in place of R. A. Miner who has been sent to Converse, Ind.
It was not rebuilt until 1925 and opened in September 1925 - it was the third depot.
This is the present brick structure. One of David Burn's yarns that he told around town was how he built the chimney on this depot - he would lay it up so far and his father [James E. Burns] would kick it down - this went on all day; according to David; his father's point to be made was that if you laid only one brick a day you were to lay it right. He went on to tell that he was 16 at the time and was playing hookey from school quite a bit and he was told to either go to school or go to work.
George E. Nearpass by the information on the back of the postcard picture of him; he was known as the "Whistling Brakeman"; and also by this information he had his own radio show.
1929 - The wooden railroad viaduct at the end of Washington Street has been rebuilt with heavier material; it is felt the new structure should handle the heavy freight loads - 11 Sep. Culver Citizen.
1930 - In the 2 July 1930 issue of the Culver Citizen it was announced by the Pennsylvania Railroad that trains would drop to two a day - the 10:35 am South and the 3:25 North would be dropped. The remaining trains would be the 11:37 am which will arrive at 10:55 am going North and the 8:50 pm which would go south.
1935 - In 1935 Culver purchased the Vandalia park for $6,500 this included 3.2 acres and buildings excluding the depot and adjacent land; it also included Bunker Hill and the old water tower of 2.2 acres.
1940 - A Pennsy passenger train collides with a county truck south of Culver on Rd. 17.
1940 - oct. 6 - the viaduct bridge at the foot of Washington Street is being rebuilt by the pennsylvannia Railroad
1947 - The passenger rail service ended after Thanksgiving (Nov. 27th>) to the town of Culver. An announcement made in October 1947 by the Pennsylvania Road gave notice that passenger service would no longer be provided, the 'Academy Special' as it was called which had been in existence since about 1897 manage to survive until after the spring break of 1956, originating from a side track near the power house on the academy campus.
1951 - 30 January - in zero weather a frieght train derailed in the early morning hours near the outlet on State Road 17 [now West Shore Dr.]
One of the last ads for the railroad:
1984 - 7 July - Culver citizen - E. R. Kinney of Marion has been made agent at the Pennsylvania Railroad Station in Culver to fill the vancancy caused by the retitement of W. T. Parish.
1958 - In March of 1958 14 coal cars derailed in the park area
and it took most of the spring and early summer to clean up. More pictures here.
1958 - March 12 – Freight train hits station wagon and truck in freak accident at 10:13 Saturday night in front of the Pennsylvania railroad station…
Pennsylvania railroad stock - 1959:
1959 - In 1959 the first coin operated laundry may came to Culver; waiting room area of the depot was transformed into a Laundry mat until mid or late 1970's and then sat empty for a while.
more pictures of this Vandalia Pennsylvania Depot are found here.
The dwindling down of the frieght being hauled over the Pensy was coming about. Mid 1960's brought an end to the railroad service by the Pennsylvania Railroad to the Academy. The only other major user of the railroad was the farm co-op
The merger between the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central Railroad became effective on February 1, 1968.
1969 - In 1969 the local depot was closed and Emory Kinney who had been station master since 1954 and his operations were moved to Logansport. Freight trains ran through intermentintly until 1979 when the Vandalia line was finally completely abandoned; the last major user Farm Bureau Co-op had burned in 1978 and did not rebuild in Culver.
The Pennsylvania Railroad bankruptcy occurred on June 21, 1970.
The first part of the line to go was between Nutwood and Culver, which was abandoned in 1973 and removed in 1974. The second piece to go was from Culver to Logansport which was abandoned in 1974 and removed in 1976. For a while in Plymouth, Indiana, they used the line for the old industrial park, but this rail was gone by 1990
Sometime during the late 1970's the railroad land was put up for sale. Several people were instrumental in trying to keep what should of been full public accesses for the town of Culver open: Davies Street, Winfield Street, Jefferson Street and Washington Street. One large supporter was June (Garn) Napier Jackson Sirus and many others with her; but they failed and all were sold to private people and access to the lake in Culver has been denied except at the park area and an easement worked out for the town of Culver with John Deery in 1980 at Washington Street where the access road to the town park came out at. The last attempt was made by Rod Martindale, David Burns and several others to gain a partial easement at Jefferson Street about 1988 or 1989.
Taken from the 1953 cottage page is:
On the Opposite corner of S. Plymouth Street & Mill (behind the Robert & Louise (Strang) Ott house on S. Main which is across from the EUB Church)was a building - It runs in my mind that it was a stopping point for the trains and was a depot for that end of town. June (Garn) Napier Sirus rememebrs that it was one large room when the Arthurhultz's bought it, there was two pillars one possibly cement block or stone in front that were were square; and there were only three steps from the ground into the building. It had a canopy and it had a hedge that ran all the way around the edge of the property line. It had large windows in the front and was a stucco (with black, grey and white speck in it) type finish on the outside. It sat empty for many years until in the late 1970's when Charlene (Garn)& "Ray" Raymond Arthurhultz and her husband bought it and remolded it and made it into a home. The Arthurhultz's bought it off Charlie Weaver owned and bought it off him or the estate. Just when this depot is in operation is not known or if it had a name is unknown - but it sat empty in the 1960's also as I remember.
Tho passenger service did not exist for the Culver area since 1947 all other passenger service for the Pennsylvania ended on 30 April. 1971, tho Conrail did run passenger trains over the remaining exisiting road beween 1 Jan. 1972 and 30 Jul. 1974
ON 29 Jul 1976 the 32 mile long track between Logansport and Culver was abandoned; the Penn Central bankruptcy also brouth the abandonedment of the 72 miles of the original line between terre Huate and Frankfort (LC&SW) the track between Culver and SOuth Beend had already been abandoned which was 29 miles.
1984 - In on 27 December 1984 the town made a resolution to purchase the depot and adjacent land for $42,500 and it was finalized on 10 April 1985; thus began the depot renovation project by the Culver Lions Club.
The Culver Pennsylvania Depot is featured on pg. 67 of Railroad Depots of Northern Indiana By David E. Longest, 2007 Arcadia Publishing Chicago, Il.,; the picture in the book was taken in 1974, while it was in a state of deterioration
Judi © 1990 - 2012 | All Rights Reserved